Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Factory tow package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 05:10 PM
notburger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory tow package?

I bought a used 1997 Explorer with a hitch. I recently heard that most factory installed tow packages include additional equipment like a transmission cooler, a larger radiator and a larger alternator.
Trouble I have is I don't know if I have the factory installed tow package. I don't know how to tell. I called Ford but they don't seem to know and have not called back as they promised. I thought about calling the dealer I bought the truck from, but I wouldn't beleive them completely no matter what they said. I found what looks like a small radiator under the hood but I think it might be the power steering cooler. Anybody have any advice??
Much appreciated!

notburger

Old 03-10-2002, 08:10 AM
CNTHOR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory tow package?

It's pretty easy to tell if you have a tranny cooler, It would be a separate small radiator bolted on to the front of your existing radiator (dont confuse it with the one for your A/C, which is underneath and behind of your radiator). It is usually connected in line with your existing radiator.
If you don't have a tranny cooler then you probably don't have any ohter heavy duty towing options.

Old 03-10-2002, 12:06 PM
notburger
New User
Factory tow package?

Excellent!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

notburger

Old 03-11-2002, 10:45 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Factory tow package?

The other thing to look for is the axle code on the sticker inside the driver's door. If it is a limited slip, then it has the tow package. The only way to get a limited slip in '97 was by ordering the tow package. If there is a D for the first part of the code then you have an LS. A D4 would be a 3.73 LS, a D2 is a 4.10 LS. There might be some smaller ratios with an LS if the tires are small so if you don't see a D for the first part of the code, post your code and someone will tell you what it is. If it starts in a D though, it is definately an LS/tow package.

Old 03-11-2002, 10:43 PM
notburger
New User
Factory tow package?

The Axle code was D4.
Guess that means 3.73 LS/tow package!
Where does one find this information??

Thanx!

notburger

Old 03-11-2002, 10:55 PM
mgazak
Laughing Gas
Factory tow package?

I have a 98 Sport and was wondering the same thing. I checked for the tranny cooler but couldn't find it. This may just be because I don't know about much under the hood and can't indentify it. I then checked on the driver's door label for the rear axle code. That confused me some too. One place said D, and next to it it said DL. (What can I say, I'm a computer technician, not an auto mechanic)
:-X11

Thus, being the stubborn and determined person I am, I'm trying to find out any other way to tell if I have the trailing towing package. One thought I had was this. I noticed under the left rear of the vehicle by the bumper, there's a plug for the wiring harness to go to the trailer. My 92 Explorer also had this and that I knew had the trailing towing package. Is this on all Explorers or just ones with the package?

Hey, if all else fails, I could just wait to ask the next time I go in for an oil change in a couple months.

Thanks anyways. ;-)

Old 03-12-2002, 10:04 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Factory tow package?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Mar-02 AT 11:07 AM (EST)]The "DL" sounds like your spring code. On the label inside of your driver's door there is a box labeled "AXLE". Under the word axle, will be a 2 digit code (sometimes the first digit is a letter). I have never heard of anything but a digit for the second place though. It is possible, but I dont' think that is your axle code. Someone will probably post a link that explains what axle each code stands for. I don't have the link so I can't post it.

Also, the tranny cooler is visible through the grill without opening up the hood. If you are looking into the grill, on the left side, there will be a small radiator looking device mounted to the front of the much larger radiator. The tranny cooler is about 12"X14" and will have two 3/8" black rubber hoses coming out of the bottom of it. I thought Ford started including the tranny cooler with all Explorers beginning in '98. I know they didn't in '97. I work with a guy that has a '98 without the tow package. I'll see if his has the cooler or not.

Old 03-12-2002, 10:10 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Factory tow package?

>The Axle code was D4.
>Guess that means 3.73 LS/tow package!
>Where does one find this information??
>
>
>Thanx!
>
>notburger

The D4 does mean you have a 3.73 limited slip and tow package. The information can be found via a link that gets posted every so often. It lists all of the axle codes and what they stand for. I have a D2 (4.10 LS) in mine and also know that a 72 is an open 4.10. The 3.73 is a very common axle so sometime in the past 4 years I picked up that the D4 was the 3.73 LS, and the 74 is the open 3.73. It's just stuff you pick up over the years.

Old 03-12-2002, 04:54 PM
notburger
New User
Factory tow package?

Thank you all for replying : )

Now, at this point I beleive I have a factory tow package and a 3.73 rear axle (not really sure what those numbers mean) but as for the transmission cooler...a previous reply stated that it would be approx. 12" x 14" and bolted to the front of the radiator. I have nothing like that.
I have what looks like to me, a typical radiator with another, thinner, radiator mounted right in front of it. It is almost the same height and width as the radiator but it is only about one inch thick. There is about one inch between the two and there are rubber strips seperating them. (I guess they keep debris out from between them?)
Could this be the transmission cooler.
The real question is, what did the 97 tow package include?

Thank you all again for your replies....

notburger

Old 03-13-2002, 11:32 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Factory tow package?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Mar-02 AT 12:38 PM (EST)]Now you have confused me. When I chose the options for my '97 making my options selections using the Dealer's equipment book, the only way to get the limited slip was if I ordered the tow package. I wasn't concerned with the towing abilities at the time but I definately wanted the limited slip. I remember the package listing an auxillary transmission cooler, limited slip differential and a wiring adapter as being included with the tow package. Mine definately came with all three items. I'm not positive what the 1" thin radiator looking device is in front of the radiator, but mine has one too. I think it is the A/C coil though that you are looking at. The auxillary cooler is mounted in front of this item and is about the dimensions I posted. There are two 3/8" black hoses coming out of the bottom of the cooler that hook up to two metal lines on the bottom of the radiator. One of the metal lines then goes back to the transmission. The other metal line goes over to the radiator on the other side of the engine compartment. If yours has the limited slip but not the cooler then I don't know what happened to yours. Some possible explanations would include maybe Ford changed the way they equipped the Explorer during the '97 model year and offered a limited slip without the rest of the tow package. Maybe the previous owner had a problem with the cooler and removed it. Maybe your Explore was in an accident and they replaced the door with one from another Explorer (does the VIN on your door label match the VIN on your dash?). Maybe Ford messed up and forgot to install your cooler. These are questions I can not answer.

Old 03-14-2002, 09:45 AM
daleg
New User
Factory tow package?

Hey Guys,

I also have a 97 Sport with SOHC and a 4.10 open diff (code 42) not purchased new. I have a tranny cooler but dont have limited slip. I,m trying to figure if I have the wiring harness or not. Where exactly do you look for it at? Is it visible without crawling under the truck or is it under the bumper. My truck was built March of 97 if that helps determine towing package features or not.

Thanx
Dale

Old 03-14-2002, 11:27 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Factory tow package?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Mar-02 AT 12:29 PM (EST)]The connector is a small round gray connector that is attached to the rear frame cross-member. You will have to crawl under the rear bumper to see it, but it isn't tucked up there. Basically there is a wire harness that is attached to the rear cross-member and is attached in a few places. The trailer tow harness comes out of the other harness and ends with the gray plug. There should be a gray cap on the end to keep out the elements, but it may be broken off. The trailer harness that comes out of the other harness is also clipped to the rear cross-member. It is just off center on the passenger side. Look for a gray plug with a possible cap about 3/4" in diameter.

Did you buy yours new? If not maybe the previous owner put a cooler on. I can't remember for sure when mine was made, but I bought it new in July '97. I know mine was made in '97 though sometime between Feburary and April.

Old 03-14-2002, 03:14 PM
daleg
New User
Factory tow package?

I didn't buy mine new, bought it in Oct 2000. I'm changing the oil this weekend so I'll look for that connector. When I bought it me and the salesman ran around their lot stripping stuff off some other explorers for me to have with mine (cargo shade, cargo pad, and floor mats) pretty cool guy. But anyway one of the things I grabbed was trailer harness kit that has a grey round connector and the regular trailer connector on it. I just assumed it would t into the tailight connectors until I really looked at it and realized it is nowhere near long enough. So now I'm hoping I have this connector under the bumper so that I can use this harness I acquired, it also came with a bracket to mount the trailer end under the bumper.

I would say just from looking that the tranny cooler is factory, I do know that the EX's previous owner was a business that had leased it for a salesrep to drive. It did'nt have a hitch on it nor is the rear bumper even scratched where the ball would fit and the cover is even still there

I'll let you know if it's there, btw I assume you dont have to remove the spare tire to see it.

Old 03-14-2002, 03:27 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Factory tow package?

No you do not need to remove the spare to see it. It is right at the very back, just in front of the rear bumper. The connector you described sounds like the connector that is included with the tow package. Mine came in a separate cardboard box. It has a round connector that will plug into the other connector I described. The other end is a flat trailer plug that will plug into your trailer. I would still say that your cooler was added on after it was built since in '97 it was supposed to be part of the towing package. If you don't find the connector to plug your adapter into and due to the fact that you don't have a limited slip it would appear that you don't have the tow package. Since you already have a 4.10 though and a cooler, you are at least equipped to tow once you get the trailer lights sorted out.

Old 03-14-2002, 04:44 PM
mgazak
Laughing Gas
Factory tow package?

According to the picture posted, I do not have a tranny cooler. However, I do have the wiring harness up underneath the left side of the rear bumper. Does Ford just put this harness on all Explorers? If not, that would mean I have the package except where's the tranny cooler? I'm confused! And suppose I don't have the towing package, how much can I safely tow and/or would it be possible and how much would it cost to have them add the towing package components on at the dealer? I appreciate all your responses!

Quick Reply: Factory tow package?