1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sound System Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:05 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound System Installation

Hey everyone. My '60 F-100 came without even a hole for a radio. Today I went to PC Richard and bought a modern CD deck and two 6x9 speakers that my father and I intend to start installing tomorrow.

Today we did an evaluation of the situation. We're going to put the speakers in the removeable door access panels. We also somewhat reluctantly decided the only somewhat convenient location for the deck is in the dash. I guess we're going to have to cut a big ol' hole.

What do you guys think? My father and I agree that it isn't the end of the world-- this truck is going to be a driver for the rest of its life anyway. Also, there is a nice space behind the dash where the original AM radio would have gone. Do any of you guys have any experience with this, and/or have any last-minute advice for us? Thanks.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:21 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Couldn't you guy's just make a bracket to mount the unit under the dash? Like maybe right next to steering column? I mean, it's your truck cut what you want, but there's no looking back once it's cut. -4speed

Old 07-13-2004, 08:36 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
I agree with 4speed, I don't think I'd hack the dash just to put in a radio. That could end up being one of those choices that you might kick yourself about later when you may want to do a resto on the old girl, even if now you can't see it being more than a driver. One option you may want to look into would be trying to mount it in the glove box. I know I've heard/seen a lot of pictures of guys that have done that. Although I'm not too familar with the dash on a '60, I could imagine you have plenty of room behind the dash and that you could probably rig up some sort of mounting plate/box that could be hidden in the glove box. Additionally, with the radio out of sight like that, it could act as a bit of a theft deterant too.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I made a bracket and hung it on the rh side of the steering collum I just couldn't cut the dash. It would be quite a reach every time you needed fool with it. I did put some 6by9s in the acces panels but the cheap covers that came with them kept falling off. So I made some nice oak door panels and old timey speaker covers to hide the ugly speakers. And you can run wire throu the upper door hinge, tie the wire to the upper door hinge run it behind the little cover were the door bolts are their is a chamber behind that that you will need to fish it throu but I found it to be very easy no drilling needed.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

I know that you are saying your truck is going to just be a driver, but you guys did such a great job of bringing it back to original! Even as a driver, it could be still be entered into shows.
If it were me, I wouldn't cut the dash.

It's your truck, so you need to do what makes you the happiest.

As for the speakers, door access panels are easily replaced later if you ever decide to remove the speakers.

Just thinking out loud here........
Speakers can sometimes get wet when mounted in the doors. You might want to think about fabricating or purchasing some kind of "shield" to cover and protect the top back side of your speakers.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:17 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Hello all,

My $.02 cent is don't cut the dash and mount the speakers in the speakers panel where they have less of a chance of getting wet. Otherwise they will likely get wet. In summation I agree with everybody don't cut the hole.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Red face

Please do cut her, she did not do anything wrong. Put the stereo in the glove box. Make yourself a nice wood plate and mount it in there. I think it would be more of a conversation piece when people try and find the radio. Not as much chance of it getting stolen either.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:34 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Well .. the heater, defroster hoses, and steering wheel kind of block out the whole under-dash area. If I put the deck in the glovebox, it would be out of reach, making track skips and volume adjustments a huge pain. Now that there are seatbelts in the truck, it's not so easy to reach over.

57_Ford, do you have any photos of the deck mounted next to the steering column? I thought about that spot as well, but I thought reaching around or through the steering wheel would be annoying. Is it a convenient spot after all?

As for the speakers, we're going to cut the access panels to put them in, for now. The access panels are not that good anyway.. they have fisheyes in the paint, etc. We have a spare set anyway. We're going to use the steel panels for now until my dad fashions some nice wood ones. We also plan on draping a sheet of plastic over the speaker to shield it from water coming in the window.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:58 AM
My54Ford
New User
What about putting in an overhead console like they sell at roddoors?

Old 07-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well man....here's the definitive answer. Not only is it my $2 worth, but I have a resolution for you as well....

Look at it this way: This truck, and dashboard, made it 44 years without being cut up, so, why cut the dash now? Besides, that clean space across the center without a radio looks nice, and makes for a good place for some Von Dutch-style pinstriping

The answer to your radio woes is this: If you don't want an overhead console, and don't want it in the glovebox (that always seemed inconvenient to me), then mount it on the bottom lip of the dash, right below where the factory radio would have gone. That way, it doesn't protrude. There are 4 benefits:

1) It's easy to reach
2) It's partially hidden at first glance in the truck
3) It looks good when it is noticed.
4) It looks like part of the dash.

What you can do is, go to a bakery supply store and buy a square cake pan. I don't know, maybe a 10" x 10" pan. They are 2" deep and make a perfect mounting box. Cut your holes in that, paint it whatever color you want, and mount it under the dash there, and it looks like an extension of your dash!

Yay! Yes, it works, and looks good. I've seen it done, and will be doing it myself. Right now, I have my radio mounted below the dash, but in an aftermarket, plastic thing for that purpose. Trust me, the cake pan looks better, because it looks vintage.
I'd send you a pic, but poor Daisy is holding down the fort back in Kansas!

Shane

Old 07-14-2004, 07:28 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Exclamation My Vote

Originally Posted by My54Ford
What about putting in an overhead console like they sell at roddoors?
I vote with My54Ford,
IMOH:- The Rod Doors console is smooth, cool and not that expensive...and since none of us has a crystal ball, it saves you regrets down the road while putting it conveniently close at hand and you still have a little much needed stowage in the "way over there" Glove Box!

If the Rod Doors, [see on line], option seems too pricely, make a headliner console out of wood or metal, whatever you're handiest with!

My $0.02

GW

Old 07-14-2004, 09:15 AM
kooper909
Elder User
How would you attach an overhead console? Could you fasten it to the cab roof brace?

Old 07-14-2004, 09:37 AM
HueyBryan
Junior User
Bracket

My radio is hung on a bracket under the dash. It came loose in the back and it kinda hangs down but still better than cutting a hole. Have you thought of maybe making a box that would fit under the seat for the 6X9's? Just MHO

Huey

Last edited by HueyBryan; 07-14-2004 at 09:48 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I still say the cheapest and the best way to do it is to use a 10" square cake pan. They are flat on top - they don't have a rolled bead edge. They fit the radio perfectly, and you can paint it whatever color (either black to match your truck or white to offest with the gauge cluster) you like.

Here's my "humble opinon" - a modern, contemporary styled overhead console wouldn't match your truck, because yours is original. "Old skool". Vintage. While an overhead would be handy....it would be a modern aftermarket appendage hanging in an otherwise 1960 atmosphere.

HA HA! I love that puking guy!

Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Overhead Console from Rod Doors in my 54. It is supported by a bracket that is attached to the roof brace. It is easy to reach and looks good. Check out the pix in my gallery. Don't cut the dash. Every dash out there with a hole in it was cut by someone saying something to the effect of "It's just an old truck, why not?" I know you don't want to cut it or you would not have asked for options and opinions. Good luck, John

Quick Reply: Sound System Installation