Sponsored by:

Virginia Safety Inspection Laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
hoopsisliv1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia Safety Inspection Laws

I was wondering since i have truck plates on my Bronco which exempts me from Virginia Emissions if i would be exempt from the emissions portion of the virginia saftey inspection. See the problem is i dont have a catalytic converter. Anyone who has gone through this same problem in the state of VA please help.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 PM
RLKBOB
Senior User
Nope, VA won't exempt you from anything. It doesn't really matter what plates you have because the state inspection is necessary to get your city sticker(at least it was when I was stationed there a few years ago). I asked this question to a few different inspection shops and they all told me that if the vehicle was originally equipped with it then it must still be on there and in proper working order. I got my Bronco while I was still in VA and had to get all the stupid inspections, now that I'm in MI it's all going away! Sorry for the bad news.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:11 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year Bronco? 78-79 had jack for emisions so there really isn't much to test. After that they had cats and emissions equipment. Like RLKBOB said, it depends on what was orginally equiped on the truck.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:49 AM
hoopsisliv1
Junior User
I have a 1993 Bronco XLT and i have no clue what to do now because i bought the bronco used about 2 weeks ago and it didnt come with any of the stock exhaust. So i am wondering if there would be anyway around this such as antique plates or something.
Thanks

Old 07-13-2004, 01:31 PM
BroncJMU
Junior User
Emissions depend on where you live. I live in Farifax county and they have strict emissions, as do the cities of arlington, alexandria, and a couple other northern va counties.

When i was at school in Harrisonburg, I pretty sure they (and most of the rest of VA) do not have emissions testing.

Old 07-13-2004, 01:32 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/safety.htm

Check that link out...it should have everything you need to know.
Terry

Old 07-13-2004, 03:00 PM
oregonian
Senior User
Have to agree with RLKBOB. I shipped my 1974 Chevelle from colorado to virginia when I was stationed there and found out that even though the car was plated in colorado, insured in colorado, and I was a resident of colorado since I was living in virginia I had to pass smog to drive it. I had ditched the emissions junk years prior and was totally stuck. They wouldn't even let me park it on base! Hope you get it figured out.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:05 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hoopsisliv1
I have a 1993 Bronco XLT and i have no clue what to do now because i bought the bronco used about 2 weeks ago and it didnt come with any of the stock exhaust. So i am wondering if there would be anyway around this such as antique plates or something.
Thanks
An antique 1993? Seriuosly, don't they have empty cats that yuo can put inline but don't do anything? All they are looking for is to actually see the thing on there. They don't know if there is anything in there or not. And if it still passes inspection without it, then what's the harm anyway? You are not polluting.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:55 AM
hoopsisliv1
Junior User
Yea thats what i was planning on doing is just putting a piece of crap one in there, but that would still mess up my exhaust system. And about the antique tags, they are the best because they dont need emissions and they hardly need to pass any of the sections on the Fairfax saftey inspection. I know this because my friend who has a 1990 f-250 and he has antique plates.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:15 PM
jwgriffith
Freshman User
in va antique plates are only registered to a vehicle 20 or 25 years old or older,. i think its 25 though. a 79 is the newest you can register now. it must be 25. you can not register a 90 or a 93 as an antique in va. i know that for a fact. if so everyone would do that, insurance is cheaper and no state inspections or county stickers would have to be purchased. if the 90 has these plates he has a different regisitration or something funny going on there. they do watch those type of plates. there are alot of restriction on those plates. you are only allowed so many miles from home, no grocery stores(only part stores or something pertaining to the vehicle). you can drive to shows but must have destination planned and have to prove there is a show there. you should check out those laws before considering those plates for anything. if your friend has put those on his 90 then he has done something illegal and thats the reason the authorities watch those vehicle plates so close and they will talk to him too, i'm sure. those plates are designed for someone who only shows their antique vehicle and when people take advantage of that situtation the dmv do not take kindly to it. sorry, but they wouldn't even consider giving you those plates or regisitering your 90 or 93 as an antique. IT'S NOT AN ANTIQUE.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
VA is 20 years for antique plates- most other states are 25.Been a licensed VA inspector since 1979. vehicle with antique plates DO NOT HAVE TO BE INSPECTED---- BUT MUST BE CAPABLE OF PASSING ANY AND ALL STATE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS(spot road checks etc.) Black flat plates are for occasional use(parades-exercise of vehicle, and you better be able to prove it)-not drive every day- period plates(1979 plate on 79) can be registered two ways- one with no year stickers and one with-still each has different types of restrictions-I state inspect my 31 Ford streetrod just so I can drive it anytime and anywhere!!! Also Broncos have had emission control devices since 1975( egr valves,etc) and cats since 1979.

Old 07-17-2004, 08:04 AM
dyarumian
Senior User
Can you get farm plates there?, thats what we do in maine when something wont pass inspection (cheaper insurance too)