2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anti-freeze & brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:22 AM
cruzer23
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anti-freeze & brakes

OK how about this one took my 04 screw in yesterday because I keep smelling anti-freeze in the cab, at the same yime tell them to check the front brakes because they squeel all the time. I get it back in the afternoon, they tell me there is no coolant leak or smell, but the front brakes were shot & they had to turn the rotors. I'm calling B S 7800 mile on a truck & the brakes are shot, what gives? Oh and over 20 years as a mechanic I still smell anti-freeze in the cab. Anyone else have this problem or am I out of my mind?

Old 07-03-2004, 11:51 AM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Did they charge you for the brakes? Hope they didn't take too much off the rotors. I too can't believe that the brakes were shot.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruzer23
Oh and over 20 years as a mechanic I still smell anti-freeze in the cab. Anyone else have this problem or am I out of my mind?
Whenever I smell anti-freeze in the cab I pray to God it is not what I think it is. But it always is....... the heater core.....weird?

-Matt

Old 07-04-2004, 12:43 PM
DKF150
New User
Funny you mention that I just noticed the smell for the first time at 5700 miles! I didn't notice it outside the truck when i got out to see if it was my truck or coming from someone elses vehicle. I don't have any leaks, but I know exactly what you mean about the heater core...That was my next thought! I have not noticed it since the one time, and it's been three or four days now.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:49 AM
mitchelw151
New User
I notice it too

Funny you should mention this about the anti-freeze smell. I get the same thing usually when I first get into the truck and for about the first 30 minutes then the smell seems to go away. I have asked my wife if she smells the same thing, but she says no. I still swear that I smell it which is a very noticable smell

Old 07-05-2004, 07:38 PM
cruzer23
New User
No they did not charge for brakes, not sure how much they took off the rotors. Heater core is wht I thought also, I have seen them leak into the heater box from the bottom & pull the antifreeze back into the cooling system on cool down like a radiator does from the overflow, therefore it does not look like tou are losing coolant. Will definately be getting back with the dealer this week

Old 07-06-2004, 06:40 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
I have experienced the same smell. Like you, I have spent years working on and around cars and the sweet smell of coolant/anti-freeze is not one you forget. In fact, I took mine back to the dealership the day after I bought it because I was sure there was a coolant leak. I watched them pump up the system with a tester and it held perfectly. The smell seems it like has gotten less noticeable over the last 6 months but I still catch a whiff of it every now and then. If you or anyone else finds an answer or solution to this problem, please post it.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
chopperdude
Junior User
At 2800 miles I have always got a bit of that smell...usually when I turn off the AC; but am not losing coolant. I won't worry until the coolant is low or I get a wet floor.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
mandm1
New User
Question

Wondering if anybody STILL smells the antifreeze smell? My wife and I could smell it in our SuperCrew Lariat from day 1 and we have had the truck about 2 months now.

I marked the level of coolant in the overflow bottle to see if there has been any usage or leakage, but the level has remained about the same (notwithstanding what cruzer23 mentioned above).

Funny thing is, I don't really get the smell coming from the vents or from around the heater core/airbox area under the dash. Where the smell seems to come from is the grease used in the seat tracks!! The smell is VERY strong right in this area. Would any of you check your trucks and see if you think the same thing?

This "problem" is driving me nuts and I was ready to take the truck into the dealer, but I'm wondering if it is simply the grease. I can live with and/or fix that.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-16-2004, 12:58 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
I still have the smell after 16k miles or so of ownership. Like you, I took it back to the dealer thinking it had a coolant leak. They pressure tested the system and determined that it wasn't leaking. I too noticed that the smell seems to originate from the seat grease. In fact, I think I posted that here several months ago. Whatever, I got used to the smell and it doesn't really annoy me anymore since I know that the cooling system is OK.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
mandm1
New User
txfx4x4,

Sorry if I missed your previous post.

Sounds like it very well could be the grease, then. I guess I will get used to the smell, too. Or I'll remove the seats and clean the lube off before using a different type of grease.

Thanks,
Mike