2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock caused by Phaser Take #2

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 09:12 AM
dredmo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock caused by Phaser Take #2

Got my truck back yesterday.

The document I received says:

"Customer states noise from engine when warm, sounds like a lifter, has gotten louder-runs ok. Technician heard, does not become noticable until after the idle drops after a little warm. Verify concern remove right side valve cover & front engine cam sprocket/phaser assembly. Install new timing cover gasket & crank seal & valve cover gasket. Top off coolant & test drive. OK at this time."

There is a long list of parts....

Problem is, it sounds the same as when I took it in.

While sitting in the cab, engine nice and warm, my truck sounds like a small diesel. What I am hearing is definately NOT the fuel injectors. There is a small but noticable clunking which sounds identical to a lifter.

I am wondering what my next step should be. They have had my truck a total of 5 or 6 days now, and they haven't fixed it. They expect me to keep paying for half a rental due to the fact they haven't fixed it yet. They originally returned the truck the first time I brought it in and said the sound was normal. Luckily I ran into a guy who let me hear his engine, and his ran perfectly smoothe and very quiet. They have now returned it to me again, after major engine work (at least it sounds that way), and it sounds the same.

Is there a chain of command I can use? Should I start taking it to another dealer? Is there any recourse here? I live in a secluded area, and I have to take my wife to the hospital almost 300 miles away very frequently, this is really starting to wear my patience.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:46 PM
khendrix
Senior User
My truck also sounds like a small diesel engine when it is sitting still and ideling. I dont think mine has a problem but I could be wrong. I think the " blub blub blub" sound it cool

Old 07-03-2004, 02:49 AM
BLariat
Senior User
My truck makes the same sound, and so does my girlfriends dad's. They are both 2004 F150 Supercrew Lariats....my 2000 Ranger did the same thing, and I never had a single problem with it.