2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Soon After Purchase Is It Safe To Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:13 PM
NY-Ford-Lifer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Soon After Purchase Is It Safe To Wax?

Hey folks - how soon after your truck was purchased did you wax it? I'm assuming with modern paints there is no need to wait but.............

Old 07-01-2004, 12:56 AM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I asked a body shop and was told you can use a "Polish" at any time and it wouldn't hurt the finish. If you are using a Carnuba Wax or some other type of wax they said wait 90 days after manufacture date to let the paint breath and harden. They also said, any Maguires product is good. Once it is past the 90 days they said the best showroom type wax was Maguires #26. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to next time I wax mine.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:47 AM
keith Ruge
Senior User
I talked to some of my freinds , and thy said it dosnt matter , but they arn`t no boddy shop .I just got mine three weaks ago,The sticker in the door jame has a date of 6-04 with all the rain I had too do it .I used the new Turtle wax thats all carnauba wax it looks happy now , BUT I guess I should wait . Im thinking about using Cllinites no. 885 its supposed to be realy good The Sunshine State

Old 07-01-2004, 06:45 AM
ieee_raider
Senior User
Mine was built in October, purchased in May, and I just waxed last weekend... Meguir's Gold... wow, it looks nice.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
gmcplus03
Senior User
used maguires to wax my truck a week after i got it. the lot managers that prepped my truck did a poor job, so i detailed my truck inside and out. what a shine from the roof to the wheels.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:42 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
30 days from the time it's built. And use only WAX on a new finish, never polish. Polish is for restoring a shine to an old finish, and always leaves swirl makrs. Why would anyone want to do that to a brand-new vehicle? Maguiars #26, Classic. Excalibur- anything that has no abrasives. If it dries in 10-15 minutes, it has abrasives. Pure wax takes several hours to set up.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:53 PM
wamsleyb
Freshman User
I would probably wait 30 days for the paint to really cure. Mine is getting it this weekend.(1-month anniversary) I am using Zymol products, they leave a nice shine. I have also heard great things about Zaino. My dad is trying them out currently so I can report about their products later.
And to help keep the swirl scratches out of the paint use microfiber towels for application and buffing of products as needed. You can pick them up almost anywhere. They will not leave the scratches and lint that terry cloths and towels leave behind on the paint. Plus microfiber is great for interior. I have black interior and I have no particles left over after wiping with a MF towel. Bring a towel or terry cloth to wipe inside my truck and it looks like snow inside the cab. You can also use MF towels for drying if you want to get real ****. I do and my paint looks great. You can find the bigger towels 20X40 inches online. Just remember to wash them in liquid soap (granulated or powder will not always dissolve and can be embedded into towels which scratch your truck) and dry on low heat.
Good Luck,
Brian

Old 07-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Nick O'Teen
Junior User
Because of stringent EPA rules modern paints are very different in composition compared to years ago. The formulations used now are fast curing and as a result, most detailing experts will tell you that it's safe to wax a new car as soon as you drive it home.

On my Porsche (it's black) I've always had great results using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to reduce swirl marks followed by Mothers pure carnuba wax. A lot of my Porsche buddies are now using Meguiars NXT wax. It does look very good on the cars I've seen up close.

As for swirl marks (or "spiderwebbing" as some call it) you can't avoid it entirely. You can minimize it by always applying and buffing all polish and in sections and with a linear motion rather than a circular motion. Same for applying and buffing the wax. In other words, don't use the Karate Kid "Wax On, Wax Off" routine.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:19 AM
hovy
Senior User
I used nxt on my black lariat. Like Nick said it is important to learn the right technique to detailing your truck...People ask me all the time how I get it to shine the way it does!
If you like dark colored cars and trucks, learn how to use a good heavy duty polisher and swirl marks will not be a problem.....The only way to not get the swirl marks or fine scratches is never touch your paint!:O)

Old 07-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Threadhead
Freshman User
One of the best ways to keep the swirlies off your paint is to not take it to the car wash.

Old 07-03-2004, 03:31 AM
stygz
Freshman User
I am pretty sure you can wax as soon as you get your truck, i believe the factory bakes on the paint and it is supposed to be fully cured after 8 hours.

What is the main differance between wax and polish? I use Eagle one polish and wax in one. As i understand you use polish to get out swirl marks and wax is for potection right? I use a the polish and wax in one and have had good results. What do you think of the Eagle one all in one?

Old 07-03-2004, 06:05 AM
keith Ruge
Senior User
The BEST resaults I have had over the years, is ??????? well I could give up my secret , its for the swirls that is, sinze this for the Ford Enthusiast.One freind to another OK OK Ill tell ya`ll first , WHATS softer than a babys bottom ????? hint !! Its cotten and SOFT!!!!!!!!!!! YES IT works but its hard too get or find >>>>>>>>> it is <<<<<<<<<<< I forgot how to spell it you wrap it around the babys bottom

Last edited by keith Ruge; 07-03-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Threadhead
Freshman User
Originally Posted by keith Ruge
The BEST resaults I have had over the years, is ??????? well I could give up my secret , its for the swirls that is, sinze this for the Ford Enthusiast.One freind to another OK OK Ill tell ya`ll first , WHATS softer than a babys bottom ????? hint !! Its cotten and SOFT!!!!!!!!!!! YES IT works but its hard too get or find >>>>>>>>> it is <<<<<<<<<<< I forgot how to spell it you wrap it around the babys bottom
A Diaper

Old 07-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats what I am thinking......or toilet paper?

-Matt

Old 07-12-2004, 01:39 PM
dlundquist
New User
Hey first timer here: I have a 04 FX4 in Black I have waxed it with Meguiars NXT and WOW does it shine, only thing though is to watch when you are wiping down that there is no dirt in your towel or else you'll have scratch marks all over the place, which I unfortunatly found out the hard way.

Quick Reply: How Soon After Purchase Is It Safe To Wax?