1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang Gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang Gas tank

In the process of resto-rodding my 56 F100, I've noticed the favoritism of using Mustang gas tanks to tuck underneath and do away with the behind the seat in-cab orginal gas tank. My question is, what year, style, neck location, straps and other things do I need to know in order to install one of these on my truck?
Thank You

Old 06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
svooom
Senior User
Hi Neil,
Check out the article titled "Installing a mid 60's gas tank in a '53 F-100" written by John Niolon in the Tech Articles section. It should answer all the questions that you have.

I just bought a 16 gal. 65-68 Mustang tank to put in my '53 and plan to follow John's advice. It looks like the cheapest and easiest way to go. I bought my tank with sending unit and all off ebay for $116.

Brad

Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 AM
chan
New User
Neil,
I also recommend John Niolon's site for background information on the 60's fuel tank install. I installed the 20 gallon version from a 69 Mustang in my 56 F100. The filler neck location is centred on the top of the tank near the rear and works out well for having the fuel filler door in the wood bed. This tank fits with very little modification to the frame (~1/2" needs to be trimmed from the bottom flanges and rear cross member needs to be relocated). I supported the tank using a perimeter frame made out of 1x1 square tubing and no straps.
Jason

Old 06-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear gas tank for a 56 F100

Neil - The Mustang 20 gallon tank is great if you want the filler neck to be in the bed. John Niolan (www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/mustangtank/newmustangtank.html) wrote a very complete article on it (with photos) that will answer all your questions. If you want a side-fill (thru the left rear fender), as I do, look at the 1957-1958 Ford passenger car tank at gastanks.com (their part number F-34B). You will need to notch the frame for the filler, but it looks to be behind the aft leaf speing mount and inside the fender. John's method of tank attachment will work, but you will need to scrounge a filler door for the fender. Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
Thank you Gentlemen,
This information is exactly what I was looking for. I printed all of it out for when I order my tank. One last question..........does anyone know a shortcut to the nearest money tree??

Old 06-29-2004, 04:37 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neil- I also used a 69 Mustang tank but didn't like the filler being in the center of the bed, thus causing you to cut and shape the center metal strip to fit up to your cap. I relocated the filler neck to land in the center of the next board toward the driver. I also built a 1" tube frame to hold the tank. If you want you can view some photos by doing a search on "leckart" (my previous forum name) and looking in the gallery. Good luck. 56Fun

Old 06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
spitty
New User
rear fuel tank

has anybody tried a cougar tank? A friend told me it should work. the filler neck should come out in the center below the tailgate. hide it behind the lic.plate. What do you think ? I like that better than in the bed.