Just turbo'd my 300 six

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 AM
fordman1090
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, i cant believe this thread is still going. I'v been watching it since it began.

I have dreamed of turbocharging my 300. I just need a few more reliable HP and TQ. I do alot of towing and it'd be nice. Im hoping to start collecting parts. I plan on using the MegaSquirt system unless you'v been able to reliably manage fuel using the existing computer. Even then i like the idea of being able to fine tune it easily. And being a computer guy it seems more fun to me. My 300 is in perfect working condition, so i think it would make a good amount of power.

TB:
How did you deal with the emissions stuff?
Would you mind giving some more close up pics of your build?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 02:28 AM
FordManMT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just givin a rebuilt 300ci inline 6 with a C6 tranny. I think Im going to super charge it. Its most likely going into a 1937 Chevy rat rod Im building

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM
BurninValves
Freshman User
Im still trying to figure out how you have your gate set at 8 psi but your "home made" bov is set at 15 psi. the only way that would even be possible is if you put a check valve between the vac line before the bov.... in wich case it would never blow off the excess pressure... i dunno

Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 PM
corblund
Freshman User
finaly done mine. its a 63mm turbonetics off of a CAT, carb is a 350 2 bbl. running water/methanol injection it hits a wall at about 14 psi. pulls like a cummins though. very very happy with it.
Picture007.jpg?t=1278894150
Picture014.jpg?t=1278894189
Picture016.jpg?t=1278894220

Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Mtthwvn73
Elder User
Lord God what tires...what kind of gears do you have under that thing? I couldn't imagine how it was before with a stock 300... My old 95 seemed like it had trouble turning 235's....given it had a 2.73 rear end...

Matt

Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
hittman1422
Elder User
so i've got a 300 build i'm working on, already have a holley 390 4bbl, offy DP intake, and hooker headers.... obiviously if i decided to turbo i could kiss the headers goodbye unless i went with the rear mounted turbo idea... also going to run a 240 head with chevy 200 valves and rockers, along with 240 pushrods and a cam with .456 lift, should be slightly higher with the chevy rockers. bottom end is stock but only has about 30k on it. yall think it could handle my mods and say 5lbs of boost? am i aiming for the moon or is this possible?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 AM
bigbluestompertruck
Freshman User
Ok I just picked up a 83 f250 with a 300 and a 4 spd it blew the cam out the side of the block, I'm now getting a 1990 300 with the harness and everything for $250 my question is how much boost can I run through it stock? I plan on using a intercooler and methanol injection, what should I do to the motor before I drop it in?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 AM
bigbluestompertruck
Freshman User
Ok I just picked up a 83 f250 with a 300 and a 4 spd it blew the cam out the side of the block, I'm now getting a 1990 300 with the harness and everything for $250 my question is how much boost can I run through it stock? I plan on using a intercooler and methanol injection, what should I do to the motor before I drop it in?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Ok, i have bin doing alot of research and i have come to a conclusion about the amount of boost you can push an inline 6 with all stock parts. At about 10 PSI you will start building to much pressure. I have a 95 300 with fuel injection, plan on adding turbo, I have a buddy who is a master automotive engineer and he did all the math and figured with stiffer valve springs, new push rods, and some head modifieing with methanol you can push roughly 18-22 psi and it shouldnt push it to the limit but you will be on a fine line depening on rebuild parts, quality, etc.

Anyone know of an aftermarket head for this motor? stock is to restrictive!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
bigbluestompertruck
Freshman User
The only head I know of is an AJ head it's aluminum and costs something like $7000 it has no water passages it's a race only part, I know there have been some made from other heads such as the 351c cut up and braised together, also I think the ls1 heads where used and some one said something about taking a 300 head horizontally and braising on another one for really tall ports

Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
bigbluestompertruck
Freshman User
So according to your friend that should leave a 19.5:1 effective comp ratio with a 8.8:1 static comp ratio and 18 psi boost, so if I have a 9.5:1 static comp ratio and still run 15 psi boost, ideally I'd like to run methanol injection while cruiseing even under the turbo, another thing is can I run a second set of fuel injectors and run the methanol through it, what can I power these with? Can I run a jumper wire off of the fuel injectors or will the ms controller be able to run them seperatly?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigbluestompertruck
So according to your friend that should leave a 19.5:1 effective comp ratio with a 8.8:1 static comp ratio and 18 psi boost, so if I have a 9.5:1 static comp ratio and still run 15 psi boost, ideally I'd like to run methanol injection while cruiseing even under the turbo, another thing is can I run a second set of fuel injectors and run the methanol through it, what can I power these with? Can I run a jumper wire off of the fuel injectors or will the ms controller be able to run them seperatly?
Brazing is out of the question. Those seals will never hold under the pressure i will be producing within the motor. AlanJackson head is discontinued and not ideal as this is also a "daily driver" and $7k is not the best price haha.

As for your methanol injection, I do not see a reason to run seperate fuel injectors. They have kits with injectors that mount onto the motor pretty much where ever you can. Some areas are recommened over others. I like right ontop of the intake manifold. BEST bang for the money but you have to be able to control fuel to air mixture ratio and run a bit Leaner.

As for compression ratios, I have not really asked about the calculations. I trust he did them correctly. But an 8:8:1 ratio sounds XTREMELY ideal for this system. My friend hits a 9:5:1 now without methanol, puts 350hp and 450trq with some custom tuning, and alot of dyno time(he has time and money lol). Other than that let me know, currently i am concetrating on rebuilding my motor and doing ALOT of head work to free up all that resistance inside the motor. It is so constricted by the head its rediculous!

Forgot to add about rest of your questions... ok, I would not run a seperate jumper wire. fuel injectors are not ideal as they will use WAY MORE than needed. Thats like saying im gonna run 1/3 water, 1/3 fuel, 1/3 air. Granted you want to replace your access fuel with water, you want to keep AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE in the cylinder to combust properly for best ower output and than cooling through the water. The ms controller will not. Its primary function is to run your FUEL injectors. Now granted you could but you would use as much fuel as water which is not ideal. unless you controller had 2 channels and you could control them both. Totally up to you, but the kit im looking at getting custom for my truck comes with injectors, check valve, nozzels(injectors), tank tap, pump, and all hosing i need. My buddy knows a distributor so im gonna help them design a kit for our i6.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 AM
bigbluestompertruck
Freshman User
The main reason I was looking at the multiport as an option for the methanol injection was I read a few other places it gave better distribution across all the cylinders, I emailed diytuners about what megasquirt to get, appaerntly there r 3 with tons of little add ons. And I don't think I'm really trying to replace the fuel with water, the way I was explained for a static comp ratio, I'm sure it gets altered for turbo apps, is 89 octane 8.9:1 comp 93 octane 9.3:1 comp, when u go over u have to start pulling th timing because of detonation, this is all the comp ratio after bleed down I believe, I want to run as much compression as possible so I can efficiently run unloaded under the turbo, I'm shooting for 1600 revs @ 65 mph, and when I have to tow I just run it up into the turbo to overcome the gears

Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM
bigbluestompertruck
Freshman User
Oh one more thing, I haven't looked around much yet but I was shooting for the smallest fuel injectors I could find I wasn't planning on using the factory i6 injectors lol, that's y I'm hoping the ms controller can tune them separately. And I meant n/a up there not static comp sorry

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM
bigbluestompertruck
Freshman User
Adding a question: you wouldn't happen to know what cam will give me the least amount of bleeddown or am I looking at a custom cam?

Quick Reply: Just turbo'd my 300 six