2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning tan leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 03:56 PM
OTHG_MIKE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning tan leather

I thought I made a big mistake when I ordered the tan leather. I work for the town running equipment ( mostly a pick and shovel ) and come home dirty every night. The tan was starting to look dirty and I didn't know what to use. I found an old can of Westley's Leather and Vinyl cleaner in my garage. The can was all rusted but I shook it up and gave it a try. Man that stuff took off every hint of dirt and grime in the truck. I tried it on the wifes 2 year old explorer and it looks brand new. I also use Westley's Bleach White on the tires. I don't like shiny tires and it leaves them a very clean flat black, it works on the mud flaps too. Just thought I would pass this on in case you can't decide between the black or tan interiors. I looked at a truck with black leather the other day and every crumb and speck of dirt showed up like a sore thumb.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:01 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Glad to hear that you found something that would clean the leather satisfactorily. Be sure to use something to put the "oils" back into the leather so to keep it from cracking prematurely. A good leather conditioner in light coating occasionally does wonders.

Russ

Old 06-10-2004, 05:21 AM
okibama
Junior User
Good to hear that you can get that tan leather clean. I got the tan leather also because I liked the way everything came together. I also thought I made a big mistake:

Here is the site for Lexol and they have Quick Wipes now:

http://www.lexol.com/newauto.html

"Lexol products have long been recognized by auto restorers and detailing professionals as their only choice for leather care. Lexol-pH Leather Cleaner quickly and safely removes dirt preparing the leather surface for the special oils and preservatives of Lexol Leather Conditioner".

Any experiences w/ the wipes??

Old 06-10-2004, 06:47 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
FYI

Ivory soap works very well too. it is made from animal fats (99.4% pure) and actually conditions the leather, and cleans it very well.

Ramb

Old 06-10-2004, 04:05 PM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
Originally Posted by rambunctious
FYI

Ivory soap works very well too. it is made from animal fats (99.4% pure) and actually conditions the leather, and cleans it very well.

Ramb
Do you regular bar soap? How do you apply?

Old 06-11-2004, 06:20 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
I was told this by my counterpart here at Johnson controls ( we make the seats) he is the director of product development for seating.

He says use soap and water with a rag. and explained why it worked because of what it is made of. He swears by it and uses it on his seats, I have cloth so can't varify. so wash the leather like you would scrub dirty knees with a soaped up wash cloth i guess and wipe off with a clean rinsed rag.

hope this helps

RAmb

Old 06-11-2004, 10:16 AM
asinatra
Senior User
Most times you can just get a damp rag and wipe off your leather. The reason the soap and water work is because when the leather was made it was soaked in water.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:14 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
just to reinforce
the ivory soap is the key. the fats condition the leather

Ramb

Old 06-11-2004, 02:20 PM
bimmerbill
Senior User
I'll give a vote for Lexol. I use the Lexol leather cleaner and the Lexol leather conditioner. Spray on the cleaner, rub with a clean sponge, wipe off. Then apply the conditioner. Both are rich with glycerine and other leather conditioners.

I bought mine in a car store (was a bit expensive) but I hear they sell the same stuff in a horse tack shop (for saddles) and its cheaper...

Old 06-11-2004, 03:06 PM
OTHG_MIKE
Junior User
The Ivory soap sounds like a good idea. I would have thought it would tend to dry the leather out but if the guy that makes the seats recommends it I'll give it a try. Unless he's just trying to make us ruin our seats so we have to buy new ones. OK seems like I caught on to your little scam. Just kidding thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.