2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod direct connect to Audiophile

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Threadhead
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod direct connect to Audiophile

I have the Audiophile system in my Lariet, and I would like to connect my iPod directly to the head unit. Sounds much better than those FM xmitters.

I see that there is an AUX button on the front of the unit, and the book references the use of and AUX unit OR DVD. So how do I connect directly to the AUX input?

Old 06-07-2004, 11:32 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
you cannot access the aux input currently unless you have a factory dvd.

one reason is that the new radio uses a new protocol called CANBuss for the communication. the DVD does have it's own aux inputs so if you had one, you could then connect the ipod, through the DVD, using the radio's aux button.
we are considering an IPOD docking module for the overhead rail system.

We also hope to release the DVD and harness very soon to purchase through the Ford accessories catalog after the fact for vehicles that did not come equipped.

wire harness suppliers are working on an aux cable, but as mentioned, there will need to be an electronic module, not just wires, becasue of the CANBuss
to make the aux work.

hope this helps

Rambunctious
Chief Engineer, New Product Development
Johnson Controls
(supplier of Overhead Rail and Factory DVD System)

Last edited by rambunctious; 06-07-2004 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:05 PM
pdroszell
New User
Does that mean supercab owners can have DVD players as a rail accessory?

Old 06-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Threadhead
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rambunctious
you cannot access the aux input currently unless you have a factory dvd.

one reason is that the new radio uses a new protocol called CANBuss for the communication. the DVD does have it's own aux inputs so if you had one, you could then connect the ipod, through the DVD, using the radio's aux button.
we are considering an IPOD docking module for the overhead rail system.
I'm not sure my opinion is worth much, but I would say that an overhead iPod dock would not be very popular. Why? It would be quite difficult to operate if it has to be removed from an overhead location, you would not be able to see the display, and access during driving (you know people are going to do it) is potentially dangerous.

A separate and distinct cable (ala RCA or 3.5mm jacks) that allows the iPod to be placed near the center console would be the preferred solution. Even a iPod holder could be fashioned to fit the cup holder or ash tray.

wire harness suppliers are working on an aux cable, but as mentioned, there will need to be an electronic module, not just wires, because of the CANBuss to make the aux work.
Please reference above... this would be the best and safest solution. Could you possibly reveal who the 'wire harness suppliers' are so that I many contact them and express my interest?

Thank you.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:14 AM
stygz
Freshman User
There is a holder for the ipod that sits in the cup holder, i have one and it works great! I use the itrip (fm modulator) to listen to music through the stereo. A direct connect to the audiophile system would be great!

Old 06-08-2004, 06:07 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
Sorry, I don't know first hand of the harness suppliers, only saw some mentioned here on the board. I am just aware of their challenge knowing first hand the CANBuss logic used for the radio communication.

and thanks for the input. we have done ride and drive's on other products but i am gearing up for one with an IPOD. the module will have to allow the control of the device, otherwise, like you mention, it won't be useful

Ramb

Old 06-08-2004, 07:38 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
pdroszell,

the ext cab doesn not offer dvd as a factory option, but I see no reason why you could not buy the dvd through accessories once we release it to the catalog, and install on your truck.

the only issue I might see is the visibility of the screen by the slightly closer second row, as compared to a super crew.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:45 PM
hinten
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rambunctious,
any update on when your iPod connector module will be available?
As I said earlier, I'm still available as a beta tester ;-)

Old 06-08-2004, 08:46 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
I'll keep you posted hinten

i haven't even "alpha tested" thw ipod yet. been looking at nav and sat radio stuff as of late. ipod is next

Ramb

Old 06-09-2004, 09:57 PM
pirateof40
New User
Rambunctious;

Any idea on when any of the sat / nav / dvd rail systems will be available to us?

Old 06-10-2004, 06:45 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
the 05 trucks will have the option to order the wire harness needed for a dvd, and then a dvd can be ordered out of accessories, ( or ordered preinstalled from the factory as in 04). the 05 will also have an accessory power harness (12V always, 12V ignition, gnd) up in the headliner to power any future modules going up there.

we are close to releasing the similar harness for the 04 so that dvd's can be added, (and it will probably have the power connector too) but it is about 1 to 2 months away. just takes times with us huge companies unfortunately.

sat radio and nav are still under development. so parts won't be available in the near term. i'll keep you posted as we define more.
hope this helps some, sorry i don't have better dates, we just don't have enough finalized to project a release date on these modules. but we are plugging away at them....

thanks for the interest

Ramb

Old 06-10-2004, 06:24 PM
pirateof40
New User
Ramb...

appreciate the response. will wait to see when it's released before i think about swaping out the head unit.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Threadhead
Freshman User
Mr. Bunctious,
Is there a place I can purchase the CANbus adapter chips and harness connectors so that I can make an aux cable? Seriously, with the correct parts and schematics I should be able to produce one with little difficulty. I do have a BSEE that comes in handy for projects like this

I may be interested in manufacturing and selling these as it appears the demand is there.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2004, 05:19 AM
ieee_raider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Threadhead
Mr. Bunctious,
Is there a place I can purchase the CANbus adapter chips and harness connectors so that I can make an aux cable? Seriously, with the correct parts and schematics I should be able to produce one with little difficulty. I do have a BSEE that comes in handy for projects like this

I may be interested in manufacturing and selling these as it appears the demand is there.

Thanks!
I bet it's proprietary and that's why the aftermarket manufacturers are having such a hard time with it... basically trying to hack the hardware. I'm sure someone will leake it.
Too bad I didn't take that job with Johnson Controls when I graduated! Instead, I'm making diapers... haha

Old 06-16-2004, 07:18 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
I don't know if it is proprietary, To my knowledge ( I'm only a mechanical engineer ) CANBuss is an industry standard protocol. software development is beyond most harness aftermarket suppliers, that is what I think the holdup is.

We obviously know each OEM's protocols, but Phatnoise has some pretty sophisticated software in thier music keg products too. they have been able to backward engineer all OEM's buss systems and can talk to the radio heads and even control the radioheads with their devices. the oems were impressed. They have some of them MIT grads on their team.

Ramb

(you can call me Ramb, or you can call me 'Bunctious, but DON't call me RAM )

Quick Reply: iPod direct connect to Audiophile