Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LOUD!!! Diesel Knock HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 02:40 PM
donjo69
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 85 f350 with a 69 diesel, it always did knock more when cold, but recently it knocks so loud all the time that i have to plug my ears when near the truck. When accelerating it especially gets worse and vibrates the steering colume. To me it sounds like a rod or pistin. I change oil every 3k and always check oil level, it has also never been overheated. How could that have happend. It also smokes a slight more black all the time.

Old 01-17-2001, 08:53 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru

Does the knocking return to normal after the engine has warmed up? All of the diesels I have been around will really hammer when it's cold out.

alanscott

Old 01-17-2001, 09:15 PM
donjo69
Freshman User

I have had this truck for 3 winters, not counting this one. I know what it sound like when it is cold. It is 3 times louder and soundes like only one cylinder. It is loud all the time, louder when cold of course. It has been doing this for 3 days, wouldn't it have blown up if it were a rod. It is also smoking a lot of black all of the time and it never used to.

What is a CRD or CDR?? valve, and how much oil is there supposed to be in the intake. Mine blows a lot of smoke/steam into the intake, could this be what is causing black smoke out the exaust.

Old 01-17-2001, 09:37 PM
Hammer@
Freshman User

A bad injector could be the problem,dumping too much fuel into a cylinder.

Old 01-18-2001, 05:14 AM
donjo69
Freshman User

I feel like an idiot, I let my friend use my truck to haul a load of firewood and when it left my house it had a full tank. I told him the just fill it back up when he was done with it. He did just what I told him but instead of using diesel, he used 93 gasoline because the diesel button is right next to the 93 and I guess he pressed the wrong button. I found the reciept and he put $8.00 in the tank.

Is it to late? , I have been driving it for 3 days and I have about a 1/4 tank left. Should I continue to run it until it runs out? , or should I some how remove the gas and refill it with diesel. Will gasoline cause and engine damage?

Thanks for the help!, I feel stupid.

Old 01-18-2001, 05:26 AM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha, Ha, Ha, I shouldn't laugh I did the same thing but I only put about .80 cents worth and finally realized it. You should try to get as much fuel out as you can and then fill it up with diesel. Don't drive it, you may have already caused some piston/injection system damage. Injection systems need lubrication from the diesel fuel. After you put the diesel fuel in you will need to put some stanadyne all season fuel treatment to clean the injectors. You also may have scored the injector nozzles and they will probably stick later on. The black smoke it from the gasoline, not oil related, oil smoke is usually blue.

Old 01-18-2001, 02:53 PM
donjo69
Freshman User

How would i go about removing all the gas? I don't want to remove the tank. Is there an easier way?

Old 01-18-2001, 03:56 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo

Yes! there is, You need to remove the fuel filler neck and put a hose down in the tank. Next is the bad part, you need to suck on the hose making sure not to get fuel in your mouth. Let as much as you can drain into a gas can. After you do that, save the gas/fuel and put it in a safe place with the container open, let it sit for a few weeks and the gas will evaporate and you will have clean diesel again. Next you should change the fuel filter and fill the new one with 50% 30W oil and 50% diesel fuel to purge all gas from injectors and to lubricate them initially. Fill the tank up full and use some kind of fuel treatment "STANADYNE ALL SEASON FUEL TREATMENT" is the best. If you don't use a fuel treatment the injectors could stick. Run 2-3 tanks before discontinuing the additive.

Old 01-18-2001, 10:14 PM
nobody
Junior User

I would be real carefull about leaving open cans of gas sitting around. Call your friend and tell him he can have his gas back

Alan

Old 01-19-2001, 05:15 AM
donjo69
Freshman User

Thanks I will try this, but one question, why do I fill the fuel filter with 50% oil and 50% diesel? Won't the oil hurt something? And why will the injectors stick if I do not use a fuel additive. I have used power service once in a while to clean them.

Old 01-19-2001, 02:26 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo

Once again, The oil will initially purge the gas out and free up any sticking injectors temporarily. You have probably done some damage to the injectors already from lack of lubrication, that's why you should use and additive for lubrication. Also, but I hope not, you may have also hurt the injection pump. You will more than likely have to change out the glowplugs because the gas probably blew the tips off. I hate to say it but you will have your hands full no matter what has happened.

Also you said something in your original post about the knock coming from one cylinder and a lot of black smoke. The injector is probably already stuck open. So that is why it is smoking a lot of black. By all means, gas will make it smoke black, but not very bad.

Old 01-19-2001, 08:18 PM
donjo69
Freshman User

Today i got most of the gas/fuel out of the tank, and ran an air hose in it at 30psi for 2 hours, so needless to say most all of it is out, the gasoline anyway. I put a new filter on it with 50% 10w-30 and 50% diesel. I could not find straight 30W. I had a hell of time getting it started, but when it did, it thrashed and knocked hard for about 45 seconds and then quieted down a little. It was smoking a ton of blue smoke! I drove it up to the gas station to fill it completly and it still has a one cylinder knock, but not as bad. It is blowing more black smoke than it ever did. I also could not find standyne fuel treatment, where do i find that? I used one bottle of power service injector cleaner and then filled it up. Drove the truck for about one hour and the knock and smoking did not go away. What should I do next? where are the injectors and how do i get them tested?
Also why would the glowplugs be ruined? I just put them in before winter.

Old 01-19-2001, 08:51 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo

I was hoping that the oil would free up that stuck injector, but I guess it did not. You can get stanadyne all season fuel treatment at any injection service place. As far as the glowplugs are concerned, the gas probably melted or blew the tips right off depending on the concentration of the gas to fuel ratio. New or old glow plugs makes no difference.

You will need to remove all the injectors (located on the top left and right side of the engine) they have rubber tubes connecting each one to another, and they also have steel high pressure lines. You will need to remove all the rubber lines first, and then the steel lines being careful not to kink or bend them. Then they just loosen by turning them counterclockwise.

Next you will need to have them tested at a certified diesel injection service center. They will probably need to have the tips rebuilt or the whole injector replaced. The glowplugs need to be removed also, and replaced if the tips are distorted.

Let us know how you make out with it!! You can get a service book at most part stores.

Old 01-20-2001, 06:01 PM
donjo69
Freshman User

Today my other friend and I took the injectors out and took the glow plugs out and the glow plugs were blistered and had angled tips. So I took the injectors to warren and had them checked. They checked them as I waited, and sure enough one was stuck open and the others had incorrect opening pressures. The guy took my injectors and gave me some rebuilt ones with a one year warrenty. They wanted $19.99ea for the rebuilt ones and $33.00ea for brand new ones. So I settled with rebuilt. The guy also told me, after I explained what happened, that I will probably need the pump rebuilt sooner or later. He can give me a rebuilt one for $400 plus my old one. Should I wait for mine to go out or should I replace it soon?
After I got the new injectors/glowplugs in, it took a long time to start and blew white smoke for about 2-3 minutes. Is that normal? I took it for a long drive and sure enough it stoped knocking but it was night and I could not see the color of the smoke. I really appriciate all the help!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2001, 10:44 AM
fordiesel69
More Turbo

If the truck runs good with new parts, I would just leave it go until it give you problems. If the pump does go out, it will usually not leave you stranded, some of the symptoms are: leaking fuel out the seals, missing and white smoke at high throttle, inoperative cold advance, and etc. They usually don't just quit. The pumps are a pain to change out because you have to buy a special wrench from ford and then you should take it to get dynamically timed after you put it on. Depending on how well they are calibrated you can sometimes get away with a static time. To have the pump timed it usually will cost about $90- $150 depending on how long it takes and what place does it.
According to your explanation, your engine is functioning the way it should.

Quick Reply: LOUD!!! Diesel Knock HELP!!!