1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Dog

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dog

ok, i just fixed my vacuum leak problem, just changed the spark plugs, and now my 94 ranger 4.0 is slow when it's cold. like, if i were to floor it, the tacho will slowly go faster, like really slow it seems.
something similar to this happened when i was driving our 94 exploder 4.0 and we took it in and the guys cleaned the computer and throtte body and it was a lot better, do u think this will solve the problme on my truck aslo?
tahnks
quack!

Old 05-29-2004, 10:49 PM
KenB
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggest going back through your repairs/fixes and verifing them carefully one at a time, even checking plug gap again.
If nothing changes might try taking cables off battery for half an hour, the computer reset itself.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:53 AM
LILBLUE04FX4L2
Junior User
try also cleaning your MAF

Pull out your MAF and use a good electronics parts cleaner. Don't touch it, flush it well with the cleaner, and allow it to dry fully before restarting your engine. Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will reset your computer. You would then need to drive the vehicle normally for 20 minutes or so to reset the computer to your altitude, driving habits, fuel etc....
Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Delta
Senior User
What brand of spark plugs did you use? Some brands stink. I would use only Motorcraft or Autolite.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah, make sure you used the Double Platinums. Thats the plug thats reccomended on the Emmissions label under the hood. Your truck used the EDIS and it is supposed to work best with DP's. THeres an article in the tech info about it.

Old 05-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
aiight i will ttry that stuff. i used the cheap bosch spark plugs, the ones that are like 99 cents apiece, so u guys think that could be the problem??
i gues that would make sense since it started doing this after i changed the spark plugs.
quack

Old 05-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
ok i just went to my truck and checked the plugs and i found out that the last plug i put it wasnt gapped correctly, so im hoping that wil fix it, cuz i dont feel like spenidng 8 dollars on a small specialty bit so i can clean my maf, but i will problaby do that anyways just so i can get the experience of doing it,. thanks alls!
quack

Old 05-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
"dog" problem fixed, now another question

aiight i got the slow rpm thing fixed, somehow, i forgot to gap the 3 passenger side spark plugs!
BUT i was looking on the driver side at the plugs, and the first two closest to the windshield seem to have like oil on them, and it looks like there is a little oil leaking on the heads or w/e the thing is called where the spark plugs go, what is this? what causes the plugs to get dirty and is it bad????
quack

Old 05-30-2004, 07:38 PM
KenB
Elder User
1- Get rid of the Bosch plugs. Go Motorcraft, Autolites if you have to.
Make mental note to yourself, a bargain isn't always a bargain.

2- Yes, you're screwing the plugs into the heads.

3- The oil on plugs could be from the condition it's been running in.

If you're not that lucky, your rings or valves are shot, you could have a blown head gasket for that matter. Non of those is an easy or quick fix.

If oil is ONLY on the outside, could be from leaking valve cover gasket, not such a bad fix.

Can you give better description of exactly where this leaking oil is coming from?

Depending on where oil is coming from, next step may be to run a compression check on all cylinders.

Old 06-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
allright, i will get to that spark plug thing asap

well the oil is mostly on the outside but their's sine on the plugs a little bit too. it's only on two of them but it is leaking but its leaking pretty slow. so waht does this mean, is this bad????

Old 06-01-2004, 10:08 AM
KenB
Elder User
First, change plugs and BE SURE to gap them correctly.
Oil on two plugs 'might be from current installed/Bosch condition.

Give details of where oil is exactly, last post a bit confusing. Is oil on outside of plug or only viewable after removal on the firing element.

Also, Exactly where on 'outside' are you finding this leaking oil?
Use some engine cleaner to clean area where this oil is leaking to pinpoint oil source. Could be just from valve cover gasket, have you ever removed the covers?

Old 06-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
well yeah i will get to the changing of the spark plugs asap. okay, well you can see oil right about the bolts on the head, it's kind fo dark, i recently cleaned my engine and now it is still noticable. but when you do take the spark plugs out you can see oil on the plugs, well on the threads, its' not on the gapped plug thingamajigger.
oh and no i havent removed the valve covers, as a matter of fact, i dont even know where the valve covers are! so yeah i hope this one is a little more clear, i guess the last post i had shows that proofreading is a smart thing to do. thanks
quack

Old 06-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
I would say your valve covers are starting to leak a little. The valve covers are the sheetmetal covers on each side of the engine just above the spark plugs, they mount to the heads.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:27 PM
KenB
Elder User
Doesn't sound (by your description) that you have any oil leak to worry about. Oil seapage maybe, but that's almost expected. This includes the oil on the plugs, it's not seapage, probably just from installation and/or extraction.

Worry about oil on plugs if it's built up on the "gapped plug thingamajigger".

Old 06-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
wooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo

thanks guys, that is awesome, so i shouldnt even worry about the valve covers?? should i replace them?? or is it a waste?? thanks again, quack

Quick Reply: Dog