Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Heavy Equipment Apprenticeship Jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Manitoulin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Equipment Apprenticeship Jobs?

Just wanting to know if anyone knows if there is any jobs for a heavy equipment apprentice that they know of.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 05-27-2004, 08:48 PM
ampegor
Junior User
try the mining equipment dealers in the sudbury area, (i presume you meen heavy equipment"mechanic")ie Atlas Copco, Tamrock, Drifttech, Marcotte, Maclean,etc. I work at INCO as a HDEM and we have been hiring alot of techs from these kind of places and they are all looking for some one. Experiance will be a definate asset.
Hope this helps
Andy

Old 05-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Shane...
If I may make just one suggestion?
Learn to speak Italian.
I know how to run dozers, loaders (crawler, wheeled, and articulated), backhoes & excavators.
My time in the industry was breif, mostly because when ever I went looking for a position, one of the first questions asked was "Do you speak Italian?"
When it was the first question, the interview usually ended when I said "No".
My Spanish ancestry gives me that Mediteranian look, so I could pass for Italian.
Getting started in any industry is tough. If H/E is your desired carreer, learn the ins & outs of the people that run the industry.
If you decide to try to get training through UIC or Manpower (or whatever they call themselves now), DON'T go to the facility in Milton, Ont. There is a minimum security prison nearby that sends inmates there for training. Lots of people in the H/E industry know this ! Can you imagine how I felt when several employers would not hire me because I received my training at the same place as criminals. (Darn straight that's what they called them and me too !)
To answer you're question, of course you should apply at the big companies and the small ones. Try the local works dept. as well. The one thing that will give you your best opportunity is getting a personal referral from a friend, relative, or anyone you can find.
Sorry if this seems to be a rant, but this all happened to me nearly 25 years ago & it still stings!
Good luck.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Manitoulin
Senior User
Yeah, I kind of wanta stay away from underground. I tired Sudbury as far as above ground. I lived in sudbury for 2 years well i was in college.
Lol, i would of never thought i would be asked if i speak Italian. No, i don't speak it but i wish i did.
I'm going to go in the army if i cann't get anything by this fall. I got all the papers ready, and everything for the army. I am kind of wanting to go in the army but i wanta try still looking..

Thanks for all the help guys !!

Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

You could also try forestry equipment dealers like Wajax.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Last time I looked, the military was jam packed with H/E.
If you look at the over all picture of service with the Armed Forces, I'll bet you'd be impressed. You are young enough to benefit greatly from what they have to offer. A guy/gal with an honourable discharge, with skills, is something that the public sector bends over backwards to hire on.
Are you up for a major career move like that?

Old 05-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Manitoulin
Senior User
Yeah i'm up for the task... i hope i am.