Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dex-Cool Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 09:33 AM
StevensPoint
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dex-Cool Yes or No?

I am reading conflicting articles on the use of Dex-Cool in a Powerstroke (mines a '96) The "Hot Summer Cool Diesel" tech article ( https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/2003/5.php ) says extended life Ethylene Glycol coolants using advanced organic acids are OK to use if a complete flush was performed.

However, an article on the Dieselstop website (https://www.ford-trucks.com/contents...ecommendations) states that organic acid based ethylene glycol coolants (specifically stating Dex-Cool) absolutely should not be used in the powerstroke.

Which is correct? What's the difference between Dex-Cool and Motorcraft Premium Gold?

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Putting the red stuff in your system will cause it to gum up. Even the small amount left on the seals is a problem. DO NOT use the red coolant. You can use the gold coolant if you do a complete system flush. You can not have any more than 10% of the original green coolant mixed with the gold or you still have to maintain the coolant additive.

I'm not sure if the gold is compatable with the seals in the 1996, but some guys have made the switch.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 AM
TJC1989
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cameltoe
Which is correct? What's the difference between Dex-Cool and Motorcraft Premium Gold?

Thanks.
Its a conflicting debate, for sure, Cameltoe. But because the prices are so close between coolants such as Havoline's Extended Life ( Dex Cool ) and Zerex GO-5 ( Motorcrafts Gold ) why not go with the Gold coolant.

The difference? Havoline is OAT - Organic Acid Technology for corrosion protection. Zerex GO-5 is HOAT - Hybrid Organic Acid Tecnology, meaning it retains some of the silicate additives and corrosion protection from the green coolant, and also uses the organic acid technology. Both are long life coolants, with maybe the Havoline being rated a little longer. The Zerex is rated to last 100 K miles on original installation, and 50 K on refills.

Both do not need any additional SCA treatments to prevent cavitation.

However, I have read several articles, and I would research it further because of your year model, 96. Many have said these two coolants can damage certain seals and gaskets in pre 99 models. Apparently something changed in the post 99 models. And then of course, gold came out stock in the 2003 year models of PSD. Plus as was mentioned earlier, if not flushed again and again to remove all traces of the green coolant, problems of gummy bears developing in the coolant system can happen when changing over to the Havoline Dex Cool. Not just in Diesels, in anything. I personally put the Havoline Orange ELC in my 80's motorcycle, but I flushed several times with a flushing additive, and with distilled water. I made sure all green was removed. That was several months ago, and it is doing great. Actually runs a little cooler.

But for my truck, I will go with the Zerex GO-5 gold, HOAT to be safe. And again, with it, multiple flushings is the key to success, before adding the gold.

But mine is a 2000, and because yours is a 96, it might be risky. I am not sure what seals are at risk, but none sound pleasant.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:24 AM
StevensPoint
Senior User
Wow - Thanks for all the help. It sounds like the safest bet is to stick with what was originally in the engine. In my case that would be green. What are your sources of information that say seals and gaskets may be a problem with the ELC's in pre '99 PSD's?

Thanks Again

Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 AM
TJC1989
Senior User
Guys on this forum, guys at Dieselstop.com forum, an RV forum and a couple of motorcycle forums. Naturally, Havoline claims that its coolant does not harm seals, on any year. As does Zerex. The safest is the green, with SCA,s for your year model, I think. I don't think Ford will reveal what is affected. Maybe International? There is a guy on Dieselstop called Smokey-Wren, that appears to have inside knowledge with Ford on this, but won't reveal his sources. Either way, he seems very knowledgeable on the coolant issues. Several guys here have been playing around with the coolants for some time.