292 Carb Help Needed Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Bugg58
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 292 Carb Help Needed Bad!

GUYS,
I have a 1958 Ford F100. It has a 292 with a Holley 2 Barrell. I got the timing set on the money and she idles pretty sound. The problem is when I go to stop at a stop sign she dies on me. I have to choke her up again to get it to start. NEED HELP BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Thanks

Old 05-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Janet40
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bugg58
GUYS,
I have a 1958 Ford F100. It has a 292 with a Holley 2 Barrell. I got the timing set on the money and she idles pretty sound. The problem is when I go to stop at a stop sign she dies on me. I have to choke her up again to get it to start. NEED HELP BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Thanks

Bugg58, i am Janet, and here is a post i made in another section, the place that describes the fuel filter type and location may help u, its from an answer i gave to another user, but you may find the information helpfull if you read it

"Hello, from the way you have described it, it sounds like fuel starvation. Many times i have seen where people will put a fuel filter between the fuel pump and carburetor...Guess what happens??? The fuel force actually crushes the inner element (even on clear see through filters that you cannot see with your eyes) and wala!@!!! Fuel can't get through during times of acceleration or when you hold a steady speed or will idle down gradually.. Be sure your fuel filter is the BIG ONE, and place it not between the pump and carb, but instead between the Tank and Pump (The suction non force side), that one error issue drives many people nuts because they change the fuel filter and get out and look and the flow is just dandy, but as pressure increases or idle continues it slowing gets less flow because of pressure forced element inside the filter because the filter is on the pressure side... Check that out, I fixed one at our shop about 3 years ago and a guy thought he needed a whole new ignition and tried this gauge and that reading and this and brought it to us, next day he nervously said, about what will this cost?? And i said 32 dollars hon, talk about a funny thing. I hope this helps you.....Janet"

Old 05-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Bugg58
New User
Janet,
Thank you for your reply. I have the fuel filter mounted between the tank and the pump, so I guess that wouldn't be it. It wants to do it real bad on a slight downhill right before I go to stop. I have a manual tranny and as I slow down and push in the clutch it happens.
Thanks
Ray

Old 05-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bugg58
Janet,
Thank you for your reply. I have the fuel filter mounted between the tank and the pump, so I guess that wouldn't be it. It wants to do it real bad on a slight downhill right before I go to stop. I have a manual tranny and as I slow down and push in the clutch it happens.
Thanks
Ray
Okay Ray, here's some more things to chew on, how long since you changed the filter?? and remember is it a large one?? Yblocks put out and suck some major force 7lbs plus. It may be the long pickup tube in your fuel tanktake the circle loose where the plug for your gauge is on top of the tank and take wire and make sure that long metal tube isn't restricted inside your tank.

Next thing would be primary wiring, coil , points, condensor...I assume you've checked these. Check the condition of your distrubitor inside the cap for corroded post, make sure the rotor is clean and up to par, now take two aspirins and call me???? Nah, try all and not the aspirins, good luck on it Ray

Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 AM
btorear
Senior User
Hi,
If your carb has an automatic choke, with a bimetalic coil in it, it could be that your auto choke is worn out. Then again by the way it sounds you probably have a manual choke

Old 05-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Bugg58
New User
Yeah it is a manual choke. I guess this weekend it will try to change it back to a larger fuel filter. Right now I am running one of the clear fuel filters.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:51 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
carb

Bugg, I used a large cannister style Fram filter. It is the one with a mounting bracket already attached to it, and is probably close to 3 inches in diameter. No threaded fittings on either end, and easy to mount. Most auto stores and Walmart carry it. It should last a lot longer than one of the clear ones.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:43 PM
56f600
Senior User
If you have to choke her to get her to start could you be looking at a vacuum leak? At idle you aren't getting enough fuel and way to much air. Just my suggestion.

Old 05-29-2004, 08:51 AM
HOTWRENCH
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Carb Problems

Some of the old holleys had a fine screen on the fuel inlet, might be clogged,
also you might want to check the needle and seat some had ascreen there as well. You might have dirt clogging one of your jets. Idle air bleeds probably need cleaned . Just some things to check.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! HOTWRENCH

Old 05-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by HOTWRENCH
Some of the old holleys had a fine screen on the fuel inlet, might be clogged,
also you might want to check the needle and seat some had ascreen there as well. You might have dirt clogging one of your jets. Idle air bleeds probably need cleaned . Just some things to check.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! HOTWRENCH
I know this reply will sound off key, but i discovered a long time ago, around 32 years agao, tht Yblocks do not do too well with in carburetor filters. I found out years ago, that on Yblocks, to do away with in carb filters and run direct metal line from the pump to carb and use those huge metal filters by the fuel tank. They work better, and cause less problems. It's jst that 32 years experience here.....Janet

Old 05-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Bugg58
New User
Hello All,
Well I took the small see through filter out and repalced it with one of the bigger ones. Still have the same problem. I believe that I need to adjust the needle valve for the float.
BUGG

Old 06-12-2004, 07:29 AM
f700
Senior User
carb trouble,s

i like what 56f600 said vacuum leak big time get your 9/16 and go over your 292 see what losen ( intake/manifold ) hose ,s ?

Old 06-14-2004, 09:30 PM
8ITCOOL
Freshman User
I had the same sort of problem a while back, especially when getting off of a highway ramp. I got all sorts of advice about how to get rid of it. Here are some:

1. Has your fuel tank been cleaned of rust? Could have that in it, being picked up and brought into the filter/carb.

2. Does your fuel line run right against the block? Could be heating it up too much. I just put a conduit around the line with aluminum foil in it to insulate it.

3. I changed everything. Points, wires, plugs, condensor, cap, fuel filter. Even the antifreeze.

The problem went away after all that.

Some told me to just rebuild the carb.

It seems odd that this would just start happening at once.

What do your plugs look like? Sooty, clean as new?
This is simple, but is there a chance your idle is set a little low? What does it normally idle at? Is it smooth?

Where are your idle screws set at now?

Just my experience.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by 8ITCOOL
I had the same sort of problem a while back, especially when getting off of a highway ramp. I got all sorts of advice about how to get rid of it. Here are some:

1. Has your fuel tank been cleaned of rust? Could have that in it, being picked up and brought into the filter/carb.

2. Does your fuel line run right against the block? Could be heating it up too much. I just put a conduit around the line with aluminum foil in it to insulate it.

3. I changed everything. Points, wires, plugs, condensor, cap, fuel filter. Even the antifreeze.

The problem went away after all that.

Some told me to just rebuild the carb.

It seems odd that this would just start happening at once.

What do your plugs look like? Sooty, clean as new?
This is simple, but is there a chance your idle is set a little low? What does it normally idle at? Is it smooth?

Where are your idle screws set at now?

Just my experience.
Hi gang, lets talk "air idle mixture screws and their adjust ment" or i like the proper name for them, which should be air idle elevation screws, because it depends very much on sealevel and rich air level... Here's how t adjust air idle mixture screws, (hence, throw those gauges in the trash).....With engine idled up to aabout 700 RPM, turn them out until engine runs as fast as it will run, then slowly turn them back in until engine just drops slightly. That's how it's done....Janet

Old 06-20-2004, 02:40 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My two cents. I think 81 and Janet may be on the money. It is very possible that the idle mixture screws were good, or on the lean side during cold weather, and you didn't have this problem.
Once the outside temperature warmed up, your carburetor is just too lean and won't idle without a readjustment.

Quick Reply: 292 Carb Help Needed Bad!