1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tire Pressure Sensor Warning On 2004 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:32 PM
LUNGFIXER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tire Pressure Sensor Warning On 2004 Expedition

I just purchased a 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition, and had 22-inch chrome rims put on by the dealer's Pro Shop. The first set of rims I choose were a no-go because the tire pressure sensors from the factory wheels would not fit flush against the inside of the valve stem, and the tires had a slow air leak. I chose a different set of 22's, which the Pro Shop assured me would be "No Problem"... but I'm still getting a "Warning Tire Pressure Low" message, which I cannot reset or get to disappear (which means I have no odometer, compass, or any of the other features of the Message Center.

The dealership is telling me that it should reset itself soon, but I think they're blowing smoke up my ***. Does anyone else here have 20" or 22" aftermarket rims on an '04? Is this something that can be fixed?

Can I force the tire pressure sensor alarm to reset, or disable it completely?? The guy in the service bay says "Yes, but for safety reasons Ford wont tell us how". Anyone here know how I may accomplish this? I do NOT want to go back to stock rims, but I have to be able to see my odometer.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2004, 01:03 PM
jussam
Freshman User
im having the same problem i install 20" w/305/50/20 toyo tires awsome look. all u have to do is when u first start up press the reset button before shifting and that will clear up the message center so you'll be able to see the odometer . but remember to do it every time u start up because the sensor reset

Old 05-24-2004, 06:12 PM
LUNGFIXER
New User
Oh, man...I'm a D U M B A S S!! I was pressing the "Trip Reset" **** to the left of the screen. Now, dont I feel silly . Thanks for the reply, Bro.

I called another dealership's service dept. They told me that if the sensors do not automatically reset, I can bring the vehicle into the service dept and they will hook it up to their computer and manually reset the sensors. If this doesn't work, they're replacing the sensors...or my wheels!! These weren't even my first choice, I choose them because the Pro Shop assured me that they would accept the stock sensors!!

If I have to live with the error message, then I'm getting the KMC wheels I first chose. Right now I have 22" BIGG Player rims with Falken P305/45R22 rubber.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:13 AM
G Man 04 Expy
New User
Hey guys: Please post pics of your rides w/wheels. I'm interested in getting wheels for my 04 EB. Also let us know how the ride quality & handling is with your set up. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 AM
LUNGFIXER
New User
HERE'S WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE NOW...

http://www.harleypeople.org/ubb/uploads/00000001/Expedition_right.jpg

AND (thanks to Photoshop) WHAT IT WILL LOOK LIKE AFTER IT COMES BACK FROM THE BODY SHOP.

http://www.harleypeople.org/ubb/uplo...on_white_2.jpg

The wheels are 22" BIGG Player, the ride is excellent, but I notice that it takes a little more brake to stop now. These sumbitches are HEAVY...I'll be changing brake pads every 12,000 miles!!

Last edited by LUNGFIXER; 05-25-2004 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM
LUNGFIXER
New User
OK, I dont get it...if "[IMG]" code is on, then why are the pictures NOT appearing within the thread?? Why is it only showing the link?? My bulletin board allows the actual photo to appear within the thread...but I used UBB software.

Last edited by LUNGFIXER; 05-25-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:28 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There are two ways to put in images:

1. Links, such as you did.
2. Embedded images. You have to surround them with image tags to do this (you didn't in your post).

Besides, we have photo galleries here and we prefer you use those for images of your vehicles (so they aren't huge and cause people with smaller screens to have to scroll left/right).

Old 05-25-2004, 11:14 AM
LUNGFIXER
New User
If you're referring to "[img] [/img]", I assure you, I did...but it still appeared as a link!!

Test...

Last edited by LUNGFIXER; 05-25-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:15 AM
LUNGFIXER
New User
NOPE...same thing happened.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:17 AM
LUNGFIXER
New User
Here's the exact text from your [img] instruction page (with tags).

Test...

HMMM...interesting. It seems the forum is not recognizing the tags. At first I thought it may convert an embeded image to a link if the size was too large, but even the small gifs are appearing as links.

Last edited by LUNGFIXER; 05-25-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:37 PM
raudy
Senior User
I posted a thread on this some time back. I have 20" tires and beautiful chrome rims on my 04. Took to the dealer to have them remove the tire pressure sensure fault message. Charged me 86.00 and told me it could not be removed as it was tied in to wipers and other ?. Fought long and hard for my money back as I told them I would not pay for training their mechanics to find out his message cannot be disabled. And this is what they told me. The mechanic that worked on my car finally read the manual and found it cannot be disabled. Got my money back.

So I live with pushing the reset button all the time. Pain in the you know what.
Strange too, sometimes the message does not come on for 15 minutes after initally starting the car and driving. Then it will come on periodically on longer driving trips. It is a useless option anyway in my opinion.

So if anyone can tell me how to get rid of it please do....someone posted on my original thread a very lengthy way to get rid of the message, but being a woman, I did not comprehend any of it......

RAUDY

Old 05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
LUNGFIXER
New User
Raudy,

I was told by the Pro Shop that the sensors CAN be "disabled", however, Ford Motor Company will NOT give this information to the dealership's service departments. Right now they're telling me that the sensors need to be manually reset (via diagnostic computer) to work properly!! If the computer reset does NOT fix this problem, I will have the pro shop swapping rims for the ones I really wanted...otherwise, my attorney WILL be going after the dealership.

I cant wait to get the Customer Satisfaction Survey from Ford...I'm gonna rip this dealership a new *********!!

Old 05-25-2004, 05:20 PM
raudy
Senior User
What makes me so mad, the tires and rims I bought (for $2500.00) at a truck speciality shop, I had seen on a new Eddie Bauer Expy on my dealers lot. So how did they disable that sensor fault message in order to sell that $46,000 plus vehicle? Surely people did not test drive that car and ignore those 4 words on their little menu window....

Ugh......I just try to ignore it and pay attention the a new squeak that is driving me nuts till I find it...

Old 05-25-2004, 09:52 PM
G Man 04 Expy
New User
Nice ride Lungfixer! Hope they can figure this whole tire pressure monitoring system out. It seems like cars with these monitoring systems have some sort of problem when replacing the wheels. When I had my Vette, I read a lot of threads about guys who changed their wheels having the same problems with the monitoring sensors.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:04 PM
G Man 04 Expy
New User
BTW Lungfixer, get yourself some crossed drilled rotors and red calipers and your truck will look even hotter with those wheels, not to mention you'll be able to stop a lot better.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor Warning On 2004 Expedition