2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle reprogramming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Carnivore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle reprogramming?

I saw in a below thread that someone with a new f150 5.4 had their throttle reprogrammed. This may seem like a dumb question, but why do you want it reprogrammed and what benefits does it have?

Old 05-20-2004, 02:38 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
the throttle on the 04 is drive by wire. no cable connects the pedal with the throttle body. just electrical wires and software program.

Reprogramming adds any updates to the program. an old college buddy does this programming for a living. it is amazing the complexity of the programs, no wonder they find glitches. the have to meet certain scenarios, like in one small vehicle application, the engine could not drop below 500rpm when running air, lights, and full wheel lock chocking the powersteering pump. they had to pour on the fuel through programming in such a scenario.

there are many "smart" program routines included in the programming that are sometime too smart for thier own good. one is what some here are complaining about with the delayed throttle respose. try slamming the gas to the floor and immediately letting off. nothing happens. this improves fuel economy. but maybe I WANTED to spin the tires quick...... or the other day, I spun on a rainy day turning out of a lot. I swear this truck has traction control, the pedal was on the floor ( I meant to do that) the truck spun, then the torque dropped way off...... and very slowly ramped back up to full torque. not what i wanted (but something "smart" programmed in).

So some issues are improved with revisions to the program. this can be "flashed" or downloaded into your truck.

aftermarket chips "reprogram" or redefine this fuel "mapping" to gain performance. usually leaning an engine out and advancing the timing to do this. so you need to be careful.

I want the first aftermarket reprogram that is a simple throttle vs pedal position with very quick response (almost anticipating) but none of the leaning out or timing advance stuff.

but for now, i will keep my truck updated with the latest program updates.

sorry for the long post

I'm just and enginerd... I mean engineer

hope this helps

Ramb

Last edited by rambunctious; 05-20-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Carnivore
Senior User
no need to appologize. Good information, but how do I know if my truck has the latest program updates?

I bought in december and I do notice the lag especially if I punch it and let go (nothing happens).

Old 05-20-2004, 03:58 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
How much does it normally cost to have to throttle flashed?

Old 05-20-2004, 05:12 PM
roof it
Freshman User
Is the reprogramming something the dealer will or can do for you, or is this an after market modification. I don't like the hesitation in the throttle response either, and would like to have the ability to mash and go when I want to.

Being able to spin the tires when you want to is all part of car control that is sometimes necessary, like when you want to tighten your line by steering with rear, or turn around in a tight situation.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:46 PM
LSUFX4
Senior User
Got my reprogramed by dealer, it was under warrenty so it was free, now i am free to spin the wheels to my hearts content. No sorry i don't have the reprogram number, but the service manager said it was the latest reprogram.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:29 AM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
Originally Posted by LSUFX4
Got my reprogramed by dealer, it was under warrenty so it was free, now i am free to spin the wheels to my hearts content. No sorry i don't have the reprogram number, but the service manager said it was the latest reprogram.
I have to ask. What exactly can you tell the service manager to make him agree to this work? I want mine done too, but if it works like it's designed, wont they tell me it's normal?

Old 05-21-2004, 07:14 AM
roof it
Freshman User
I plan to tell them like it is. When I step on the gas to go across an intersection without a traffic, light. the truck hesitates, and is a safety concern to me. When you gotta go, you gotta go!!

Old 05-21-2004, 07:48 AM
LSUFX4
Senior User
That's all i told my dealer was that the truck wouldn't go when i hit the pedal, they reprogramed it, no questions. As far as i am concerned the hesitation is not normal, and it isn't because after they reprogramed it, all better now.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:32 PM
BlkButy
Elder User
Got mine reprogrammed today and could tell a BIG difference!

Old 05-21-2004, 06:43 PM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
That's great news! I'm due for my free 3k oil change. I'll ask to have the throttle reprogrammed while I'm there. Nothing like changing lanes to pass on the highway and pushing the throttle to the floor only to have a truck 100 yards back almost run over me because the truck won't accelerate.

If the tires are spinning and I want them to stop I'll release the pedal. Old school. Simple. They could've come up with other ways to improve fuel economy. At 14 MPG they aren't saving me anything.

BTW - I LOVE THIS TRUCK. Improved throttle response and I'll love it even more!!!!!

Old 05-21-2004, 10:24 PM
WEB
Senior User
Has anyone who has had the re-programing done noticed a change in your gas milage?

I was just wandering if they programed the throttle with the hesitation as a fuel mileage thing.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Ironmanstl
New User
I had mine reflashed... big difference

Old 05-22-2004, 02:12 AM
ieee_raider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ironmanstl
I had mine reflashed... big difference
Big GOOD difference or big BAD difference??

Old 05-22-2004, 07:40 AM
BlkButy
Elder User
MO response!

Quick Reply: Throttle reprogramming?