Manual transmission shifts very hard when first start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 06:06 AM
rsampson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual transmission shifts very hard when first start up

Hi,
Newbie here. I'm not very knowledgeable in transmissions.

I have an 87 F150 with a manual 4 speed transmission. The transmission is the 4 speed with a very low first gear and I normally use second gear to start unless fully loaded.

I just had the transmission fluid changed and now when the truck is first started, it is very hard to shift out of second and third sometimes has a grinding type of feel through the shift stick (almost like two gears grinding against each other but not noisily, just in the feel through the shift stick). This seems to lessen as I drive. I guess because the transmission fluid heats up. Sometimes, I almost cannot get out of second!

Before I had the fluid changed I could shift like a hot knife through butter. I'm not sure what the garage used for the fluid replacement but I can find out.

Any ideas as to what is up?

Old 05-20-2004, 09:43 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like they used GL-5 rear axle fluid, maybe with the limited slip friction modifier additive included. That stuff is really not intended for transmissions because the syncros dont work well with EP or FM additives, causing grinding or reluctance to shift.

If that transmission was intended for ATF, that is an easy fix. If the spec is for 80W-90 GL-4 fluid, that can be a little hard to find. Redline MT-90 would be ideal in that case.

Jim

Old 05-21-2004, 07:46 AM
rsampson
New User
Thanks JIMANDMANDY.

How do I find out the fluid spec? My owner's manual just says "STANDARD TRANSMISSION LUBE" and does not get into spec numbers. The tag on the door frame says "A" for transmission type. How do I find out what tht code means?

Old 05-21-2004, 09:52 AM
larry derouin
Elder User
You have a T-18. Use the 80W-90 GL-4 fluid. The ATF is too thin for this box. If you can't find the GL4 fluid, use the REDLINE MT-90.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:48 AM
rsampson
New User
I can not find the Redline locally. I have to order it over the internet. $7.95 a quart!! I have found Pennzoil "GEARPLUS" 80 w 90 GL-4 locally. Any opinions on the Pennzoil as vs the Redline MT-90?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2004, 11:42 PM
FordPerf300
Posting Guru
Use the penzoil, i doub't you will notice much difference between either besides the price.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I was gonna say!

Walmart carries like 3 or 4 different brands of 80/90 Gl4: Pennzoil, Valvoline, some other one, and then thier Supertech stuff.

T18...its not a performance tranny..no need to spend big for Redline lube.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:19 AM
rsampson
New User
I went to my local Walmart and all they had was GL-5 spec. I called the local Pennzoil supplier and all they had was GL-5 spec. I thought I had found some Penzzoil but they did not have any gL-4. I'm in Massachusetts and most suppliers do not have the GL-4 gear lubes. I tried Auto Zone also and all they had was GL-5. I'll keep calling around but I don't have very high hopes.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Last edited by rsampson; 06-03-2004 at 06:20 AM. Reason: mis-spelled words
Old 06-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Maybe try a farm supply store? That's amazing...I've never had trouble finding GL-4, though I never buy it cause I just steal my grandpa's. O_O No I don't steal it..he does it for me lol. Last time I filled the tranny I got oil all over his cardboard on his garage floor...he won' tbe letting me do it next time.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Question

Is the T18/T19 BW transmission 'rugged' enough to accept engine oil instead? I've heard of people running 10W40 in their M5OD transmissions...and the M5OD isn't nearly as stout as the T18 nad also calls for bloody ATF....what about running engine oil in the T18?

It all comes down to the synchro's, doesn't it?

Old 06-12-2004, 11:24 AM
rsampson
New User
I replaced the old fluid today with Redline MT-90 and the difference is night and day!!! Shifting is incredibly different and much smoother. $33 for the redline on internet and $10 for a pump. It was worth every penny.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 AM
hayden01
Mountain Pass
Ive been having the almost same problem as rsampson as of late. The only difference is my trans shifts okay when its cool outside or when I first start driving her for the day, but then when I get about 3 miles down the road and/or when it gets up to operating temp then it dosent want to shift - it dosent want to come out of gear or go into the next gear or the lower gear. Some times I have to pump the clutch a few times to get it to shift.
Sometimes it'll be smooth and shift nomraly and other times the pedal will be super stiff, a lot more so then usual, and I'll have to pump it a few times to get it to want to shift, with relunctance. I've tried bleading the clutch and replaced the fluid in the clutch system and it still does it.
I'm running 80W-90 GL-5 spec in it now. Thats what ive always ran in it and no problem... till now. It is the stock trans. I beleave the same one thats been in scence it rolled off the factory floor in '84. The tag on my manual trans is:
C2604877
RTS AH CE22
34TRHA 0218
I beleave that that translates to a T170FT RTS 4 speed overdrive trans. Maybe theres something wrong with the preuusure plate? or maybe the clutch is just gone (I got throught clutches like non other).
Any ideas?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:44 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
hayden01, I'd start looking at the clutch system for your problem. But first, have you checked the level of the oil? Maybe its low and has issues when it gets warm. Other than that, it sounds more like a clutch related issue. Like its not releasing properly. The throwout bearing could be sticking on the quill if thats the kind of setup it is. (quill is the tube that sticks out of the tranny that the input shaft is in, and the throwout bearing rides on)

Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 AM
hayden01
Mountain Pass
ha ha so I uh found what the problem was - why my manual trans was not shifting or was hard to shift: the throwout betting went "poof"!! As in the bearings in the throwout barring its self went poof, decinigrated, burned up, turned to dust (literally)....in turn it chewed up the quill fairly good. But other then that the clutch disk its self is good and still has life left on it along with the pressure plate and the flywheel.
Does anybody know were to get an replacement quill? I put in my C6 that I had in the garage and already I miss my 4spd.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 AM
hayden01
Mountain Pass
How hard is it to change out the quill? Ive also sceen in exploded views that its called the front berring retainer. Is it as simple as taking out the 4 bolts and taking off the old one and puting the new on or would I have to go inside the tranny?

Quick Reply: Manual transmission shifts very hard when first start up