1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

gm gearboxes and draglink ps

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:19 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gm gearboxes and draglink ps

i saw a very undescribed listing in sacramento vintage ford's catalog for the use of a gm gearbox out of the rear wheel drive cars and such. it also said it had the proper drag links to go from the box to the spindles where the original tie rod would be. sounds to me like a good system, but i cant find any info on it and they didnt tell me too much when i called them. after a lot of soul searching i decided to possibly keep the stock axle because of donor shortage and or the hassles i dont want to do until a later date. i have a front sump pan so clearance isnt a issue. and i think the large arm on the drivers spindle might have to be removed because it would be in the way. this would seem to fix a lot of the bumpsteer issues i would think. i have driven many different bread and twinkie trucks at work that still have the straight axle, and some of our newer trucks are still are coming with them. they just have drag links system. i think lowered leafs, disk brakes, and the ps, sway bar and shorter tires are on my mind. ,