2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 06:53 AM
brooknbrown
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Malfunction

i recently purchased a f150 fx4 w/ a remote starter installed through the dealer by an outside contractor. i understand that the starter is basically an aftermarket product, but has anyone experienced a situation where the remote start would not work after their vehicle sat for a period of time (about 9 hours)? this has happened to me twice and the only consistency i have found is that the outside temperature was about 80 degrees. any thoughts?

Old 05-14-2004, 07:07 AM
dzervit
Senior User
Yeah, you got a ripped off! Any remote start unit is supposed to work all the time when you need it - either 1 day or 1 year later....

Oh, and your posts are in the wrong forum!

Old 05-14-2004, 08:12 AM
brooknbrown
New User
thanks

hey vit,
thanks for the awesome reply.

and remember the quotes of the day:

* a coward always hides behind a mask, such as the web!
* a fool searches for happiness, where as a wise man grows it under his feet!
* if you have nothing nice to say about something, it's better to say nothing at all!

Old 05-14-2004, 08:29 AM
dzervit
Senior User
I can smell the sarcasm from here!

Seriously, though - your remote start is messed up. Either A. it isn't getting the signal or B. the controller is hosed. Take it back and get another one.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:51 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Easy there gentlemen...

I am moving this to the 04 forum.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:55 AM
brooknbrown
New User
thanks

thanks, but i'm new in this forum, plus w/ new truck and i have already experienced a few chuckle heads, so there was some sarcasm, my apologies.
it has worked every time, except the last 2 days when i left work after about 9 hours and it sat in the sun (80 degrees). after that, once i try again, it works. i'm just trying to find if someone has had a similar experience.
thanks again

Old 05-14-2004, 08:57 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well congrats on the new F-150, they are nice and Wecome to FTE. It's been a couple months since you registered, but I havn't seen you here yet so...Welcome

Old 05-14-2004, 10:12 AM
dzervit
Senior User
All RS units I've ever owned never had any issues with heat or cold. I'd start with replacing the batteries in your remote (that's what the dealer will tell you or do first). After that, since it appears to be an intermittent problem it's going to be difficult to troubleshoot. Push the dealer to replace it if it keeps up.

And congrats on your new truck, I'm on my 9th day with mine! This is a great forum, but watch out for the chuckleheads!

Old 05-14-2004, 11:26 AM
tthunder
Freshman User
One of my favorite quotes:

"Fighting over the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you still look retarded"

Old 05-14-2004, 11:36 AM
OTHG_MIKE
Junior User
When you say it won't start does the engine crank and it won't start or nothing happens. Do the lights flash like its getting a signal from the remote or nothing at all. If it doesn't start on the first try it should try again on its own after a few minutes. I had a problem with my wifes in the cold weather not turning over long enough, brought it back to the installer and had it fixed and no problems since. I've had them on my last seven or eight vehicles and would never go with out one again.

Old 05-15-2004, 04:24 AM
PC Poppy
Junior User
Originally Posted by OTHG_MIKE
I had a problem with my wifes in the cold weather not turning over long enough, brought it back to the installer and had it fixed and no problems since. I've had them on my last seven or eight vehicles and would never go with out one again.
What was the fix for your wifes vehicle? The dealer is working on a fix for my no start problem in extremely cold weather only. Thanks

Old 05-15-2004, 05:15 AM
BostonFX
Freshman User
Pc,

Your wifes r-start is most likely set to "voltage sense", which when installed the crank time was set at a certain time. Have them bump the time up a bit and that should fix the problem. Beware though, that in warmer weather the starter will stay ingaged longer then it should and may cause premature wear of the starter.
The best way to have an r-start hooked up is with "tach sense", which the unit will monitor the tach and crank the motor untill it see's the tach jump up indicating the motor has started.
Hope this helps ya!

Old 05-21-2004, 05:43 AM
brooknbrown
New User
remote start problem

thanks people,
the remote company actually replaced my unit. there was a problem with the 'valet' mode of the unit; it was malfunctioning. thanks for your help.