General Automotive Discussion

Gas Prices!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 PM
golfboy17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Gas Prices!!

I'm sure like everyone else in the US am fed up with these high gas prices, i just went to the pump today and paid 1.89, that is the cheepest i can find in my area in CT for reg, and that is not the norm in my area most stations are to 2.00 for reg. i was talking to the guy at the station and he was saying that gas prices are expected to hit 3.00 by june. I know that CT is not as high as Cali but its getting up there. They have us because they know that we need to drive to get to were we have to go and are forced to pay the high prices, I wish that we could boycott it and have everyone not buy gas for a week, i read the thread about truckers blocking the highway in protest, i dont feel that will work, since we are so dependent on cars, if we can get enough people not to buy gas for a week, car pool would be the best fill your tank one day, maybe that will send a message...... And we have Kerry running for president who wants to raise gas taxes 50 cents, which would push gas prices over 3.00 in some places, hes not getting my vote. There has to be a way to get lower gas prices and a reason to why they are so high, this is well above normal inflation. Gas prices are climbing but people are not making any more money, also this is forcing just about every product to go up in price which is making the econmy even worse than it is because people cant afford to buy what they use to be able to. I can say one thing there is this one station in my area a Hess station that is selling diesel for 1.69 when most places are 2.00.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:13 PM
JerseysBest
Senior User
i should have fill up both tanks friday, was 1.85, now it 1.93... ugh... i only put in 10 bucks cause i was in a rush... i remember a few years ago, right before i got my license, gas was at like .80-85 cents at the cheapie places. maybe i'll start riding my bike more

Old 05-10-2004, 08:38 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Protesting gas for a week is a good idea, but I don't ever see it working, and probably won't do very much good in all reality. We're dependant on gas until we find an alternate source, and that's what it comes down to.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:38 PM
jschaible
Junior User
I don't think anyone even thinks about what this is doing to the lower income families and young kids just starting out. They can only afford cheap cars which are usually the big, old cars with V8's. These are the folks that are working for minimum wage, they can't afford to work if this keeps going on. I have a 19 yr old daughter that is working part-time at minimum wage and trying to go to college part-time. This is killing her since work, home and school are a ways apart from each other and she is driving about 100 miles a day. Single parent families are struggling too, how is this going to effect them? I don't think those gas companies care as long as they line their pockets. It's just a bad deal all the way around. Just my 2 cents!

Old 05-11-2004, 02:10 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What it boils down to is that nobody is buying fuel-efficient vehicles anymore. Some of us actually USE our trucks as trucks, and the gas prices are killing us, not to mention the cost of trucks has skyrocketed because of demand. Any given day, my work truck has a payload of 500-1000 lbs., but contrast that with the soccer mom or dad who is just picking up groceries or commuting to work in a 15mpg behemoth when a 35mpg 4-banger would do.

Jason

BTW, I'll have to fill my truck up tomorrow...just saw that gas was at $1.999 for 87 octane--in INDIANA of all places.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:12 PM
94van
Posting Guru
Yup, gas prices are out of hand, but, how many of you folks remember back in '72-'73?

No Gas! Or, if they had gas, you wait in line for 2-3 hours to get your 10 gallon limit, or you get gas on even-odd days.

Gas is expensive now, but at least you can get all you want, 24 hours a day....

Old 05-11-2004, 02:17 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru
....$2.15 minimum for reg. unleaded here in AZ ....Im riding the bike exclusively now....

Old 05-11-2004, 02:40 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
The next time you all fill up and get reamed at the pump be sure to flip the bird to your neighborhood environmentalist. They are the people who make the prices go up. We have not built a refinery in this country since like 76. All they do is shut old ones down. I hear there is plenty of crude, just no refineries. Look at the price of motor oil. It's not as refined and it stays low because there is plenty of it. There is not a shortage of crude oil. I also have heard that we import refined gasoline! That is what's killing us, no new refineries.

Mike

Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Bartat
New User
Gas Prices Up AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHH

When i see you guys complaining over gas prices @ $1.80 & $2.00 a gallon,
just think of us in the UK paying £0.80p per litre of gas, thats £3.60p per gallon or $6.31 a gallon in your money!!!!! you guys think your being ripped off, then come over here an fill your tanks up

RIP OFF BRITTAIN I CAN NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY SO MANY PEOPLE FROM POOR COUNTRIES ARE SO DESPERATE TO COME HERE. I WOULD LOVE TO COME LIVE IN THE STATES AND PAY YOUR BILLS!!!!!

CAN THE LAST PERSON TO LEAVE THE UK PLEASE TURN OUT THE LIGHTS!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
dougster5
New User
Bad time to own a 460!

I just bought my 1978 F-350 supercab and gas prices just keep on rising! I am definitely riding my bike most of the time which keeps me in shape and now every ride does count monetarily!

$1.82 here in Western Colorado.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:18 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
1.95 here in my part of illinois. sucks bad when i have to get gas every 3 days. i get about 12 mpg. guess its one of those things i gotta live with cuz i sure aint drivin no vegetable oil burning civic.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:38 PM
peteyg
Senior User
Ha. You think you have it bad. I just paid $2.31 (!) here in So Cal for self-serv regular unleaded. ugh.

Old 05-11-2004, 04:30 PM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
Wish we still had my wife's Cavalier, the little POS got 40 mpg on highway.

Old 05-11-2004, 04:41 PM
94van
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bartat
When i see you guys complaining over gas prices @ $1.80 & $2.00 a gallon,
just think of us in the UK paying £0.80p per litre of gas, thats £3.60p per gallon or $6.31 a gallon in your money!!!!! you guys think your being ripped off, then come over here an fill your tanks up
True, you pay much higher prices for gas, but most of your cost is taxes your greedy government gets.

Our excessive cost is because of greedy oil producers gleaning outlandish profits from their planned strategy of so called supply and demand.

Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 PM
golfboy17
Senior User
the point that bartat made about gas prices in the UK, we are complaing b/c just a few months ago we were paying 40+ cents less not to mention a year ago, no one is use to these high prices, Correct me if am wrong but hasn't the UK and other coutries had high gas all the time? Am also seeing it now people are not buying the big suvs any more or unesseary trucks like they use to.....This past weekend i went to the honda dealler with my sister for service on her car, i was talking to one of the sales guy and he said that they had several people trading in their suvs and buying accords and civics which get about 30mph, he also said they had 4 hybrid civics and insights of each and they are all sold he said back a year ago they might sell one in a month now they cant keep them in stock.....Also there was a specail on the news on the same topic people trading their suvs for smaller gas effiecent cars. Look at ford there comming out with the hybrid escape, car companies are producing more effiecent cars, but the sad thing is even if the demand for gas goes down we still wont see prices that low again b/c they have us use to these 2+ and 3+ gas prices.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices!!