2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Driveline Parts Number

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:54 PM
newtof150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Driveline Parts Number

Hi All,

I was PM'd this morning from one of my "sources" stating that Ford has had new (replacement) drivelines manufactured, the units are starting to ship end of this week for those of us with vibration complaints. The new drivelines carry a different part number from those previously installed on 2004 F150 trucks.

Can anyone comfirm this?

I hope so, maybe now my truck will become usable.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
momalle1
Senior User
Driveline generally refers to everythong from the engine to the rear axle. Which part are you referring to? The driveshaft maybe?

Old 05-10-2004, 03:10 PM
newtof150
Senior User
The driveshaft maybe?
Yes, I apologize for being inexplicit.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:43 PM
momalle1
Senior User
Interesting, it does feel a bit like a driveshaft, even though others have had theirs balanced with no success. You could call the parts department, ask them if the number has been superceded...

Old 05-10-2004, 10:01 PM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
Does your truck still have the vibration when you put it in neutral? Mine still does, does that eleiminate the driveshaft from being a problem?

Old 05-10-2004, 11:07 PM
flya750
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bigplayrayr
Does your truck still have the vibration when you put it in neutral? Mine still does, does that eleiminate the driveshaft from being a problem?

Forgive my mechanical ineptness, but even you are going down the road and you put the truck in neutral, doesn't the drive shaft still rotate?

This does sound like good news...!!!!

Old 05-11-2004, 08:28 AM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
Originally Posted by flya750
Forgive my mechanical ineptness, but even you are going down the road and you put the truck in neutral, doesn't the drive shaft still rotate?

This does sound like good news...!!!!
To be honest I'm not quite sure. I would think the transmission would stop spinning it, but it might turn with the rear differential. Mr Goodwrench I'm not either.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:06 PM
flya750
Freshman User
Originally Posted by newtof150
Hi All,

I was PM'd this morning from one of my "sources" stating that Ford has had new (replacement) drivelines manufactured, the units are starting to ship end of this week for those of us with vibration complaints. The new drivelines carry a different part number from those previously installed on 2004 F150 trucks.

Can anyone comfirm this?

I hope so, maybe now my truck will become usable.
So who is your source?? Must not be very reliable if you feel you have to confirm it?

Old 05-11-2004, 02:12 PM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigplayrayr
To be honest I'm not quite sure. I would think the transmission would stop spinning it, but it might turn with the rear differential. Mr Goodwrench I'm not either.
If your wheels are moving so is your driveline. I wouldn't do it, but it would be interesting if someone would drop their driveshaft and pull their rig around while running to see if there is a regular vibration.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
newtof150
Senior User
So who is your source?? Must not be very reliable if you feel you have to confirm it?
Information from a "source" always begs confirmation before one puts faith in the subject. I learned that by watching CSI.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:10 PM
fanman2
Senior User
If your REAR wheels are turning.....so is your drive shaft!!

It doesn't matter if the engine is on or off....or if the transmission is in drive or neutral.....the rotating left and right axles will turn the drive shaft through the main gears in the rear differential, as they are MECHANICLLY "connected".

Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
Originally Posted by fanman2
If your REAR wheels are turning.....so is your drive shaft!!

It doesn't matter if the engine is on or off....or if the transmission is in drive or neutral.....the rotating left and right axles will turn the drive shaft through the main gears in the rear differential, as they are MECHANICLLY "connected".
Thank you, but that is not my point. My point is, Run the engine while towing the vehicle. The purpose of the test would be to eliminate the drive shaft as the culprit. With the engine running perhaps you would still sense a engine vibbration, perhaps a torque converter who knows?

Old 05-11-2004, 03:22 PM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
The reason I mention that is that the TSB04-3-3 says to drive until the vibration is the worst, then shift to neutral, if vibration still exists, source of vibration is likely the driveshaft, if tis stops it is the tranny or rear axle

Old 05-11-2004, 03:23 PM
fanman2
Senior User
triton-ic......

I completely understood what you were saying in your previous post!! And I agree with you....that to REALLY find the which drivetrain component is vibrating.....you MUST isolate EACH INDIVIDUAL drivetrain component, and check it BY ITSELF.

I was simply answering bigplayrayr's earlier question/post with a little more explanation than you offered.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:28 PM
jimmybl
Junior User
This is not making much sense to me, If you put it in neutral and it goes away, all that really tells me is the drive train has to be under a load to vibrate, I dont see where it eliminates anything but the tires (maybe), towing the truck with the back wheels off the ground and running the engine, Im assuming in neutral, can be done just as easy by sitting in neutral and running the engine up to the rpm where the vibration is felt. If you are towing the vehicle it still may be a front tire vib, or the half shafts, hubs etc. or even a frame vib since the front tires are still moving. The only way to trully eliminate any component is to replace it and drive the truck under the same conditions. This is why it is so hard to find this problem! Ford is going to have to take two trucks one vibrator and one good one and swap parts until they find the culprit!!

Quick Reply: New Driveline Parts Number