6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

My disappointing first tow

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My disappointing first tow

I finally hooked up my travel trailer tonight for my truck's first shakedown tow. I had 1,300 miles on the truck before towing; some highway, but mostly city driving. Last 2 tanks of #2 premium fuel have been 12.85 MPG, hand calculated, and filled all the way to the fuel cap. I checked all the tire pressures (truck and trailer) and wheel bearings on the trailer prior to the tow. I also filled the tank to the top before heading out the highway. My travel trailer is a Coachman 329 TBS Catalina model which weighs 8,000# empty and has a fairly large frontal area. The trailer had about 500-750# of gear in during the tow, so total trailer weight was ~8,500#. Truck was sitting level with the load and was not even on the helper springs (utilizing weight distribution bars and anti-sway bar on the hitch).

I really wanted to see what the 6.0 could do pulling the hills heading out of town here. The grades aren't marked, but they are some pretty steep and long pulls. I drove about 26 miles out of town before heading back. It was hilly terrain. The first hill is the steepest and most challenging. My old 1997 F-350 4x4 crew cab with the 460, auto tranny, and 3.55 gears would slow down to 45 MPH by the top of the hill with the same trailer. My 2002 F-350 4x4 crew cab with the V-10, auto tranny, and 4.30 gears would pull the hill about 70 MPH with the same trailer.

My new F-350 4x4 crew cab with the 6.0, auto tranny, and 3.73 gears would top out at 65 MPH with the same trailer. In fact, it would not take any hill over 65 MPH. I tried Tow/Haul mode on and off, with no difference. The engine would top out at about 3100 RPM. Moved the adjustable pedals back further to ensure I was getting full throttle and still only could pull hill at 65 MPH, in fact sometimes slowed down to 62 MPH. My V-10 gasser could easily pull some of these other hills at 75+ MPH.

The engine seems to have some pretty good pull on the low end, but the top end seems limited out. Could there be something wrong with the turbo and I'm not getting full boost? I haven't installed gauges yet so I don't know how much boost I'm getting now. Any suggestions to check this weekend before I see if my service advisor can come on a test drive Monday, hopefully with a WDS.

The second disappointment was the fuel mileage. My V-10 would get 6.5 MPG towing; all the time, didn't matter hilly or flat terrain (downside was that I only got 8.5 in the city, all the time). Hand calculated, filled to the fuel cap with the same #2 premium fuel from the same station as before, I got 7.0 MPG on this 53.6 mile tow with the 6.0. I understand it was hilly, but only .5 MPG better than my gasser? I will have to tow the other direction out of town this weekend for flat land mileage and performance.

I need to get things figured out because I have a 1,300 mile trip the first of next month and I was hoping for better performance. I hate to say this, but I hope something is wrong with the truck. That way it can be fixed and I can get better performance. I know everyone will say get the Predator or Superchips, but I am already $4200 more than my V-10, so I would hate to add another $400 to get the same performance. BTW, I am going to pull the trailer with my wife's truck tomorrow (identical to mine except for V-10 with 4.30's) to get concrete value to compare with tonight's tow.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:41 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Those 4.30s must make a BIG difference when towing.

Old 05-08-2004, 07:24 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
I dunno man, how heavy is your load? I pull a 10,000 LB Toy Hauler loaded down up and through the Smoky Mountains and I can pull out and pass people. My PSD is BAREbONES stock. Kinda sounds like you either got one heck of a load or ur having some other trouble. Your fuel mileage will get better once you get ur PSD broke in more. Mine increased about 1 MPG from purchase untill now and im at 10,000 miles.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:19 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault
Those 4.30s must make a BIG difference when towing.

Huge difference.....

Old 05-08-2004, 08:59 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Tritons
The second disappointment was the fuel mileage. My V-10 would get 6.5 MPG towing; all the time, didn't matter hilly or flat terrain (downside was that I only got 8.5 in the city, all the time). Hand calculated, filled to the fuel cap with the same #2 premium fuel from the same station as before, I got 7.0 MPG on this 53.6 mile tow with the 6.0. I understand it was hilly, but only .5 MPG better than my gasser? I will have to tow the other direction out of town this weekend for flat land mileage and performance.
Realistically, checking MPGs after only 54 miles is not going to be very accurate. You need to run at least a tank.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
I am hoping the mileage will get better when I get the engine broke in better and I'm sure the average would get better over a whole tank since the drive would not be all hills. I am sure the 6.0 is going to get better overall mileage results vs. my v10 when I get some flatland mileage in the equation. BTW, the overhead console calculated 7.3 MPG vs. my 7.0 MPG hand calculated.

My biggest concern right now is the performance. I can barely keep the truck at 65 MPH while climbing a hill and will slow down to 62-60 MPH on some hills. The trailer was ~8,500# last night , but on my trip is going to be loaded to about 10,000# plus 3 more passengers in the truck. Peformance wise the truck is totally stock. The truck is holding steady at 3100 RPM under full throttle going uphill, is this normal or should I be able to accelerate more? If the CAC hose was blown off the turbo, would I even be getting this performance? The hills aren't too high in elevation, my town is located at 459 feet above sea level. I'll take my GPS on the next run with my wifes truck, but I don't think I will see over 2,500 feet of elevation.

Thanks in advance for any advise or suggestions.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
S.fergy had a post about "03 turbo shutting down" and Beachbumcook had a great reply.
Low Power/No boost and/or Code P2263:[/B]
If the turbocharger is suspected to be the cause of low boost, it should be tested by manually activating the variable geometry turbo control valve. The engine should be at operating temperature. Using the WDS active commands in datalogger, monitor EBP, VGT%, RPM abd MGP. Set the RPM to 1200 and the VGT% to 0 and record the EBP and MGP readings. Increase VGT to 85% and watch for an increase in EBP and MGP, and listen for a whistle from the turbo. If there is no pressure increase or whistle, check the control wiring for the VGT by installing a est light in the VGT harness and commanding the VGT from 0-85%--the light should be off and then slowly brighten. If the wiring checks out, replace the VGT control valve (P/N 3C3Z-6F089-AA) and retest. If the condition is unchanged, then replace the turbocharger. Broadcast Message 0887.
Engineering is currently investigating false P2263 codes. Broadcast Message 1290

[B]Variable Geometry Turbo Solenoid Diagnosis:Some trucks with the 6.0 diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power/no boost concern. The variable geometry turbo (VGT) actuator should be checked for operation: The engine should be at operating temperature. With the engine running and the engine in park/neutral, use WDS to control engine speed to 1200 RPM. While watching exhaust backpressure (EBP) and manifold gauge pressure (MGP), control the VGT actuator (VGT_DC) to 0% and 65%. If the MPG and EBP do not increase as VGT_DC is increased, inspect the wiring to the VGT. If there is no problems found in the wiring, replace the VGT actuator (P/N 3C3Z-6F089-AA) and retest. If there is no change, replace the turbo. SSM 0824.
If the EBP does increase, and you can hear the turbo pitch change, but the MGP reading does not change, this indicates a problem other than the VGT or turbo.

Intercooler Hose Blow-Off:
If one of the hot side intercooler hoses blow off it will cause the truck to exhibit a low power/low boost condition. To service, replace the hot side intercooler pipe/hose assembly. Clean the hose mating surfaces to ensure the hoses will stay in place. SEat the hoeses completely onto their mounting surfaces before tightening the clamps to 9 ft/lbs. Test drive the truck while monitoring the boost pressures, which should be 22-25 PSI. An overboost condition will cause the hose to blow off. Broadcast Message 1099.
Single alternator trucks: 4C3Z-6C646-BA
Dual alternator trucks: 4C3Z-6C646-CA.

Wiring Harness Chafing:
Some 03/04 trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit a crank/no start, rough running, misfire, buck/jerk or lack of power. This may be due to the FICM harness chafing on a valve cover stud near the FICM. Other potential locations for chafing are where the harness routes past the EBP sensor, the belt idler on the driver side of the engine, the glow plug control module bracket on the passenger side of the engine, and the accelerator pedal sensor wires at the steering column (adjustable pedals only). Reroute and repair the harness as necessary. Broadcast Message 0918/1374.

6.0 Enhanced PCM Calibrations:Some 6.0 F-Series and Excursions may exhibit a low power, low boost condition which clears when cycling the key off and restarting. This may occur while driving or after start-up. Other symptoms may include false cooling fan code P0528, and/or no or slow throttle response when engaging the TorqShift automatic transmission in gear. These symptoms may or may not become apparant after having the recall 03B06 performed prior to the end of May. The enhanced calibrations are available only with WDS versions 24.11 or later. Trucks that have had 03B06 done will only have PCM and TCM updates. Those which have not had the recall done will get PCM, FICM and TCM updates.
Broadcast Message 0356/SSM #16839.

Rough/Surging Idle, Excessive Smoke, Lacks Power, Poor Throttle Response:
This may be accompanied by DTC P2263. Inspect all intercooler hoses and pipes and exhaust system before the turbo for leaks. Ensure the oil level is correct there are no oil leaks and all electrical connectors are secure. Check the ICP sensor as in the following bulletin. If no problems are found, make no attemp to repair the condition. Engineering is investigating. Broadcast Message 0225, 0471. SSM 16488.

I have printed out this and will take it to the service department Monday, but hopefully others here will have some other suggestions and tips that I can try before Monday. Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Robaire
Senior User
Hi Guys,

As many of you know I had a 03/03 F-250 go back as a lemon, but when new before 1st. flash at 5K miles it was getting 19/20 mpg empty and 14 mpg towing 8400 lb. 5th.wheel, after flash, it had big loss of power and mileage dropped to 16 empty and 10 hauling 5th wheel.

I now have a 04/04 engine built date 11/13/03, truck build date 12/16/03, I received it on 1/6/04, This is my 1st big trip towing my 5th wheel still 8400 lbs. wet. I am getting 8.2 mpg. and it does not have the power the old 03 had before the 1st. flash.

Any how, while on this trip at appox. 9500 mile I started useing antifreeze and I tryed to buy the new replacement coolant for it but no one carried it yet so I put in the green antifreeze which you are not to mix.

I called Ford emgr. services, because now I had driven 500 miles and added 2 gallons of green antifreeze, Ford sent me to uality Ford Inc. in West Des Moines, Iowa. mileage on truck 10094, I told them of the two gallons of green antifreeze that I had added to the truck, told them of power loss and poor fuel mileage
this was on 4/30/04 I left 15 minutes later at 14:26:05 pm they told me that I needed a radiator cap. They did not flush system to get rid of green antifreeze they did not road test truck to see it was OK and they told me that they had changed 4 radiator caps in Ford 6.0L diesel that week. so off I go down the road to 1st stop in washington.

now I was adding water every time I stopped rest areas fuel stops at night and in the morning. There are no dealerships open on Saturday and Sunday, on Sunday I had made oregan and started up what is know as Cabbage Hill truck seamed to be doing fine 45mph 3rd gead then engine light flashed a couple of time check gages. I could see top of hill so I was trying to get there so I could put over, instead of stopping on grade, with 8400 lbs. in tow. Will I did not make it.

I called Ford Emgr services and they sent tow truck and away we went to Pendleton Ford Lincoln Murcury in Pendleton, Oregon. We put the 5th. whell near some electric and unhooked the truck and there I still sit as I write this.

Monday morning 7am 5/3/04, Service manager Bart arrives I tell him what has happened, at 8 am when to Mechanic arrive for work, Bob Cain " Diesel " was assigned my service order. These are Great people. Bob checks everything then,addes water then takes truck for test drive and it boils over for him, now whit all the information he needs and the next day because parts had to come from 2 Ford parts outlet, System was flushed, thermostat, oil sincer, dye, 15 qt,oil and filter 2 exter gallons new type antifreeze and addition 3 gallons of water and a lot Friendly good lucks. these people went out of their way way trying to make me everything I needed during my 2 day stay, I left at 4 pm Tuesday 5/4/04

Think this is the end? 5 miles up the road mileage on engine now 11754 going west on I-84 and up another hill pulling 8400lb 5th wheel,clack clack clack clack I pull to right side of road, Call Randy Bright at Pendleton Ford, he and Bob Cain got to me about 4:45 pm and again we call Ford emgr service 2 hours later tow truck arrives and off we go to Pandleton Ford arriving at 7:30 pm and Randy Bright Service Manager is there waiting for my arrivel. He was to go home at 5,

The next day they check oil, oil is now black and find lots of metal, truck will not start high pressure oil stopped up, they call Ford to have new engine sent, Ford says NO, pull oil pan, Oil pan now pulled, Found what was #7 rod, rod cap, bottom of piston, parts of cycinder wall and what was left of #7 crankshaht jounal, would like to add pictures, but do not now how, Ford Called again Them say NO again Must send picture in E-mail, so e-mail sent now No one at ford will say OK to sending new engine must wait for Navstar rep to OK replacement. I now have spent 4 day of vacation in a parking lot at Pendleton Ford, they have a number you call to try to get help or to complain at Ford and they keep refering you back to the service manager, who keeps telling me he's waiting for a responce from Ford, So I am really getting upset, asked Randy Bright if they could get engine sent over night, He asked but was still waiting for Ford.

I asked Randy if they (Ford) would pay for motel and food if I went on with trip, since I cannot that my 5th wheel with me. He said he would submit receipts, and I would have to wait and see. The only thing Ford OKed was a Car for 7 Days only.

Thursday evening about 5pm Ford answered with OK, a new engine will be sent, Since then I found out from another dealership under this District Manager that the engine will not arrive till next Wedensday 5/12/04 if were lucky, Ford will not ship it by air fright.

If Quaility Ford Inc. in West Des Moiens Iowa had done their job 1 right I would be enjoying my vacation in my new truck.

What is bad about this, This is my Second truck having problem again and Ford is doing, I feel nothing to help. The people at Pendleton Ford are doing everything they can for me.

Rob

Old 05-08-2004, 05:29 PM
MaXRSmart
Senior User
I have a early 03 CC and can pull my 8000 # TT up a 11 mile 6% grade at 80+ if I want to. I have been stuck behind a big rig and had to slow down to 40MPH and was able to pull out an accelerate easily to 70+ MPH. I get about 12.5 MPG while towing and about 18 unloaded. I don't know what to tell you about your truck, but it sounds like the something not right.

Old 05-08-2004, 06:08 PM
psdwanabe
Senior User
Hey Steve! Expanding your horizons?

Old 05-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Tadashi
Elder User
Man Robaire I feel for you. You seemed to hit the worse case scenario. I honestly think Ford owes you for failure of their product. It is about doing what is right. When you pay $40k+ for a truck you expect it to run and tow (like advertised) not have to stop every tank to fix something. I am usually against suing but your loss of time and aggrivation seems like you are owed some compensation or full refund for a crappy truck.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Comparision tow results

If you haven't guessed from my other posts already, my wife and I own His and Hers trucks. Mine is a 2004 F-350 King Ranch 4x4 CC LB 3.73 LS with the 6.0 PSD and TorqShift auto tranny and my wife's is a 2004 F-350 King Ranch 4x4 CC LB 4.30 LS with the V10 and 4R100 auto tranny. The trucks are virtually identical (engine/tranny&gears differences of course). The diesel has manual transfer case and hubs and the V10 has ESOF with auto hubs. The diesel truck also has 18" wheels with 275/65R18 Goodyear A/T tires and the gas has 16" wheels with 265/75R16 BFG Rugged Trail tires. Other than that, decked out the same. The diesel truck had 1,300 miles on it at beginning of test and the gas truck had 6,700 miles at start of the test. The trailer I was pulling for both trucks was a 2002 Coachman Catalina 329TBS travel trailer, ~8,000# empty with 500# of gear loaded for a total trailer weight of ~8,500#. I used the same hitch, load equalizer bars, and sway bar with both trucks. The drive was taken on two different nights, but temperature was the same (45F - 50F) and no traffic to slow me down on both nights.

My first tow the other night with my 6.0 PSD was kind of dissapointing. I was hoping to have more power (speed) pulling the hills and better towing mileage. I took it on a ~50 mile drive in hilly terrain (not a flat strech of road during the trip). The longest, steepest pull is my own ultimate indicator of performance. It is a 3.6 mile stretch that starts at 678' elevation and ends at 1,540' of elevation. Top speed at top of this hill was 65 MPH at 3,100 RPM. Total drive was 53.6 miles on the odometer. I filled the tank to the filler neck before the drive and topped it off again after with 7.648 gallons for an average of 7.01 MPG. Overhead computer read 7.3 MPG.

Tonight, I followed the same procedure; topped of tank before and after the drive at the same station and took the identical route. The V-10 pulled the first hill at 63 MPH @ 4,400 RPM, 2 MPH slower than the 6.0 PSD. Overall trip read 53.7 miles on the odometer, GPS read 53.0 miles. It took 9.475 gallons to re-fill the tank for an average of 5.67 MPG hand calculated. Overhead computer read 5.7 MPG.

On my first tow, I thought my old 2002 truck (equipped identical to the 2004 V-10 truck) towed better than the new PSD. I ran this second test tow to compare and found that I was wrong. The 6.0 PSD actually did have more power and got better mileage. The V-10 truck seemed to handle better, but I think it is the difference in tires. The 16" held the road better, whereas the 18" tires seemed to walk the truck around a little more. If I get really concerned, I'll swap tires and take the diesel truck on the same drive again.

My wife thinks I am crazy towing our travel trailer around just to compare trucks. The gas station attendant must think so also because I fill up and then am back in 1 hour to top off again. I thought something could be wrong with the diesel initially, but now I am not worried. The truck when not towing has goobs of power and acceleration like you wouldn't believe. I can feel the turbo kick in fine, but plan on installing boost and pyrometer guages soon. I first thought I did the wrong thing by getting rid of my 2002 with the V-10, but now have confirmed that I have the perfect truck for me.

BTW- My wife always has said diesel trucks a stinky and loud, but she had no problem putting 500 miles on my truck when I was out of town . The truck is less than a month old with just over 1,600 miles on it. I'm getting 12.85 MPG in the city with the PSD vs 8.5 MPG in the city with the V-10. No problems so far and looking forward to my 1,200 trip towing my travel trailer next month.

Sorry to repeat some of the data here, but I am going to cut and paste the same to the Superduty forum.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Enomra
Elder User
Twin Tritons: I had a 1999 V10 with an auto and same gears as the truck I have now, the same crew cab short bed 4X4 and the truck pulled great I got about 9 mpg towing and 11 hwy. But the 6.0 auto that I now have is so much better (11/02) build date and 16000 miles on it. I realy think that you need to get this truck broke in and test it again. I did have a problem with mine loosing power when i first towed but a trip to the Ford dealer (and the ICP sensor replaced) and now I can pull all of the hills 15-20mph faster than with the V10. I wish you luck. Also how did you get 4.30 gears in the V10 I didn't know that was an option, I bet it pulls great with those gears mine had 3.73's.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:44 PM
mmusky1
Junior User
Disapointed

Try using the crews control Not the gas peddle it works alot better.I Pull a 19 1/2 Ranger Bass boat With a 3000 lb Lance Slide in Camper All over Il. Ten. Kentucky .If you Set it on 75 MPH In never slows down I have not found a hill that will slow it down .The 6.0 has a lot more power the then 7.3 .This is my 4 SD , 1 Gas 5.4 , 10 1/2 MPG All the time . 2 - 7.3 . Both got 14 - 18 Mpg Towing or not . And Now a 6.0 I was Getting 18 - 19 Around town 14 - 15 Towing After the dec. flash 12.5 All the time.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mmusky1
Try using the crews control Not the gas peddle it works alot better.I Pull a 19 1/2 Ranger Bass boat With a 3000 lb Lance Slide in Camper All over Il. Ten. Kentucky .If you Set it on 75 MPH In never slows down I have not found a hill that will slow it down .The 6.0 has a lot more power the then 7.3 .This is my 4 SD , 1 Gas 5.4 , 10 1/2 MPG All the time . 2 - 7.3 . Both got 14 - 18 Mpg Towing or not . And Now a 6.0 I was Getting 18 - 19 Around town 14 - 15 Towing After the dec. flash 12.5 All the time.
Cruise control probably works OK for light loads like that, but when I pull a heavier 10,000+ load (over 18,000 lbs combined truck trailer) cruise control is not the optimal way to go when I get into the hills.

It is still fine on the flat or rolling stuff but when you get in to the 4% to 6% grades I have better luck going to manual operation.

Daryl

Quick Reply: My disappointing first tow