General Automotive Discussion

Fuel Additive - Heard of Using Acetone???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:59 PM
KenB
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Additive - Heard of Using Acetone???

Ran across this article for fuel economy.

Have no idea what can possibly in in many of the off the shalf fuel additives as is, first time I've heard of this.

Anyone familiar with using acetone as an additive?

www.lubedev.com/articles/additive.htm

Old 05-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
My first reaction was "What the, acetone in gas?"
I read through the article, then spoke to a buddy of mine on the phone. He had not read this article, but said that acetone is very dry and burns very hot.
His unsolicited information adds credibility to the article.
My 97 Ranger is precious to me, and I would'nt try doing anything stupid with it. I am going to go to a drug store and buy a small bottle of pure acetone.
I'm already working on the boss because we both know that my work truck smokes way too much. The fuel mileage stinks as well. He stands to get longer life out of that seemingly tired engine. This could make both of us happy!

Old 05-02-2004, 08:26 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im gonna try that on the chevy ranch truck that i use before i put that in my baby. Dealford if you do try it please post results.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:27 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
While the information sounds, and I repeat, sounds credible, I would research things a lot further before I did this. Just because it is published on the internet does not make it viable. What do we know of the impact on other materials in the engine, specifically the fuel system. How does acetone affect seals, fuel lines, gaskets, etc? As I remember one of the problems with gasohol was the alcohol deteriorated some seal materials. Correct me if I am wrong with that one. I guess I am simply saying, "Be cautious, very very cautious".

I would hate to hear of one of our trusting brethren here on FTE ruin his ride because of incomplete or even potentially irresponsible information.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:31 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
When anyone introduces their pitch with wording like: "This article probably draws conclusions that Big Oil and the American Car Manufacturers and others do NOT want you to know." I see red flags!

Just mho

Old 05-02-2004, 08:53 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
Originally Posted by pops_91710
When anyone introduces their pitch with wording like: "This article probably draws conclusions that Big Oil and the American Car Manufacturers and others do NOT want you to know." I see red flags!

Thats why god created chevy trucks and asian cars.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Gasohol should not exceed a 10% mix. Beyond that, the seals & etc. must be changed.
The work truck is really tired and the boss is already looking for another engine. We'll discuss it further tomorrow and make a decision. If the results are actually good, then the Ranger will get some. Just guessing this should take about a month.

Old 05-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you guys think this is new?

I work in a parts store, take a look on the back of any of those fuel injector cleaners... they all say Acetone in the ingredients, most of the time its about 70%... we have the MSDS sheets on every product I sell...

Old 05-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Tadashi
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mattsbox99
you guys think this is new?

I work in a parts store, take a look on the back of any of those fuel injector cleaners... they all say Acetone in the ingredients, most of the time its about 70%... we have the MSDS sheets on every product I sell...
that is 70% of the additive but in 25 gal of fuel it probably drops it down to 10%. Also probably another reason why many car manufacturers say not to use additives because if you add too much you can cause problems (ie seals). The only additive I have ever used is for my diesel engine to disperse water.

Old 05-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
well ten percent of 25 gallons is 2.5 gallons... and the bottles of additives are around ten ounces, which is 1/13 of a gallon...

Old 05-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Tadashi
Elder User
I am not sure about gas additives but in some cases diesel additives have us add twice the amount although I have never done so.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:28 PM
KenB
Elder User
Acetone II

First, No I don't think this is anything new, I evidently am older than many here. I've heard some pretty wacky things being attempted to increase fuel economy. I find it peculiar that many were stomped out of existence by the great Federal boot eventually known as Consumer Protection Agency. But there after these gimmicks and their proven untrue claims took on a life of their own.

Back to Acetone. I've a 38 gallon tank, so using the articles suggested 4 oz. per 10 gallon ratio, I'd add about 15 oz to mix with over 37 gallons of gas. Not what I'd consider overkill, and the article points out to NOT do this every tank.

Tadashi, the article also suggests adding twice as much to diesel applications.

No, not everything on the internet, or newspaper, or radio, etc. should be taken as absolute, neither should it all be discounted just because you've never heard of such.

As, mentioned by Mattsbox99, Acetone is already an active ingredient in many additives that you'll pay $4.00 or more dollars for a small bottle. If you can cut to the chase by buying and adding the effective
ingredient in a more economical manner, why not?

Anyone using Acetone, please keep us posted. Thanks.

Last edited by KenB; 05-02-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Talking

I didn't expect wonders from acetone on an engine with 500,000 km on it. There seems to be less smoke, but it's really too soon to tell.
Tomorrow is fuel day and I'll calculate the mileage from the last tank. At 300km, the tank is usually MT.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
MT ?

I regularly use a fuel additive that is around 80% acetone.... so far its every third tank

Old 05-04-2004, 11:56 PM
KenB
Elder User
MT = empty

Quick Reply: Fuel Additive - Heard of Using Acetone???