Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

possible duramax issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 02:31 PM
melisa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible duramax issue

A friend of ours with 60k on a duramax, just had a major problem. This truck has seen light towing, motorcycle trailer, but nothing heavy. Driving down the road, low oil light comes on. Stopped to check it out and found out that all the oil and the diesel fuel in the truck had been blown out the tailpipe. Took it to the dealership, they replaced the injectors. Good thing it was under warranty, the bill was over $5,000. However, when he got the truck back, they didn't even wash all the oil and diesel off the truck! He says he is going to put 20k more on it and then sell it once it is about to go out of warranty. Even with the truck fixed, though, I really don't think i would have wanted this one back after this kind of problem, this could lead to other problems later down the road. Any one heard of this before?

Old 05-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Ranch_Hand
Junior User
i own just one duramax but never had that happen to me but i only use it as a back up truck but when i haul it hauls alright this is new to me but that did happen to my 95 F-250 it didnt have warranty so i fixed it myself and runs good to this day

Old 05-01-2004, 05:57 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Though with normal maintenance no one should have to anticipate early injector replacement, if it should happen even just outside of warranty - don't expect any manufacturer to offer to cover the cost. A dealer may replace/fix a minor problem outside of warranty to maintain good customer relations, but these parts are EXPENSIVE. 5,000.00 for all eight Duramax injectors (installed) sounds like bargain
to me. From of what I've heard they run about 1,000.00 each - installed. PSD injectors are pretty expensive too - a tow truck with 7.3L we ran needed a whole
new set once - the bill was almost 5,600.00. That's about 700.00 per injector.
A set of injectors for a Cummins 5.9 can be had for around 750.00, and for
1,200.00 you get a set of 6 performance injectors which will increase both HP
and torque. If you've got some mechanical know how, and about 20 minutes,
you can install them yourself. Even with the added cost of installation - your coming out a whole lot cheaper. In all honesty, I don't know if it's even so simple with the Cummins anymore though since I believe it uses a different injector which now has 3 seperate injection events programmed into it. Still would not surprise me if it's alot cheaper than either the PSD or Dmax though.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:57 PM
melisa
Senior User
Originally Posted by sinister73
Though with normal maintenance no one should have to anticipate early injector replacement, if it should happen even just outside of warranty - don't expect any manufacturer to offer to cover the cost. A dealer may replace/fix a minor problem outside of warranty to maintain good customer relations, but these parts are EXPENSIVE. 5,000.00 for all eight Duramax injectors (installed) sounds like bargain
to me. From of what I've heard they run about 1,000.00 each - installed. PSD injectors are pretty expensive too - a tow truck with 7.3L we ran needed a whole
new set once - the bill was almost 5,600.00. That's about 700.00 per injector.
A set of injectors for a Cummins 5.9 can be had for around 750.00, and for
1,200.00 you get a set of 6 performance injectors which will increase both HP
and torque. If you've got some mechanical know how, and about 20 minutes,
you can install them yourself. Even with the added cost of installation - your coming out a whole lot cheaper. In all honesty, I don't know if it's even so simple with the Cummins anymore though since I believe it uses a different injector which now has 3 seperate injection events programmed into it. Still would not surprise me if it's alot cheaper than either the PSD or Dmax though.

luckily, this truck was still under warranty, and covered all repairs, thought it was pretty crappy of them not to clean it off though. Any one know what causes this problem?

Old 05-02-2004, 07:50 PM
jeb
Elder User
This has been a much greater problem on the early 6.0PSD's with the c94 injectors. Some dmax's are starting to have this problem so it remains to be seen how wide spread it is.

The huge plus to having this happen on a dmax is that GM replaces all of them at once. Ford will only replace them one at a time. Some folks have had their truck in several times for 6.0 injectors.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:27 PM
calgary_redneck
Senior User
The duramax has had some teething problems how ever all in all it seems to be shaping up to be a pretty good engine definetly much better than the new 6.0 powerstroke

Old 05-02-2004, 08:45 PM
EKUgrad
Senior User
I have to say that I spend WAY too much time cruising these sites trying to learn what the best decision in a new truck would be. I am surprised to learn that the Isuzu built aluminum headed Dmax is a silent leader in the trouble free department.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:52 PM
calgary_redneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by EKUgrad
I have to say that I spend WAY too much time cruising these sites trying to learn what the best decision in a new truck would be. I am surprised to learn that the Isuzu built aluminum headed Dmax is a silent leader in the trouble free department.
Isuzu is the largest diesel engine maker in the world

Old 05-02-2004, 10:16 PM
P51D Mustang
Elder User
This problem of leaky injectors isn't new. I heard this was an ongoing problem two years ago, and the Dodge Cummins guys have been discussing this for some time. I simply don't believe that the D Max is less trouble free than the others. GM has just been less up front about it.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:43 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by P51D Mustang
I simply don't believe that the D Max is less trouble free than the others. GM has just been less up front about it.
You're just kidding yourself then, IMO. Go over and look at the dmax forums and then come back and look at the 6.0PSD forums here. Do you think GM is somehow stopping folks from posting their experiences? And Ford is NOT being up front about their problems. It's only through forums like this that we know the true depth and breadth of the problems with this motor.

I had an 01 dmax and followed the dmax forums for over 2 years. There was nothing even remotely in the ballpark close to the problems that the 6.0 is having. I sure wish this was not the case since I traded a stone reliable first year (01) dmax on a 6.0PSD I'm going through DSB on, but that's the facts. Whether you choose to believe them or not does not change them.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:33 PM
P51D Mustang
Elder User
It's fact that the service manager at the local GM dealer, told me about 3 out of the first five D Max's sold by that dealership coming back with blown motors.

It's a fact that they were indeed blown, even though GM refused to send replacements until he sent them proof.

It's a fact that D-Max's have an ongoing problem with leaky injectors.

It's a fact that D-Max's in hot climates have a head gasket problem, and a head warping problem.

It's fact that when a friend of mine went to pick up his new GM truck, that he waited on for six months, the sales manager who was a relative, told him he would be better off taking a gas truck instead. When asked why, they walked around back were 13 new nonfunctional D max's had been lined up awaiting their turn for modifications.

It's a fact, about 1/2 the D-Max's I see here (not that many) have for sale signs on them.

It's fact that D-Max's cost way more than comparable Cummins or PSD's and therefore offer less value to the customer.

No amount of GM propaganda can change these facts.

I'm going to bet my hard earned money on International or Cummins.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:39 PM
calgary_redneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by P51D Mustang
It's fact that the service manager at the local GM dealer, told me about 3 out of the first five D Max's sold by that dealership coming back with blown motors.

It's a fact that they were indeed blown, even though GM refused to send replacements until he sent them proof.

It's a fact that D-Max's have an ongoing problem with leaky injectors.

It's a fact that D-Max's in hot climates have a head gasket problem, and a head warping problem.

It's fact that when a friend of mine went to pick up his new GM truck, that he waited on for six months, the sales manager who was a relative, told him he would be better off taking a gas truck instead. When asked why, they walked around back were 13 new nonfunctional D max's had been lined up awaiting their turn for modifications.

It's a fact, about 1/2 the D-Max's I see here (not that many) have for sale signs on them.

It's fact that D-Max's cost way more than comparable Cummins or PSD's and therefore offer less value to the customer.

No amount of GM propaganda can change these facts.

I'm going to bet my hard earned money on International or Cummins.

I find you refering to gm propaganda very amusing seeing how this sight is saturated with ford proganda and I'm sure you have a friend thats a service manager at the gm dealer just like all the rest of people here (especially when they are trying to prove a point) The fact of the matter is, is that the duramax so far has been far more reliable that the new 6.0 power stroke and no amount of false claims about knowing a service manager is gonna change that

Old 05-03-2004, 11:28 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey P51D mustang you sure enlightened me about some problems witht the duramax. I didnt think they had any. Great thing for the internet everybodys problems come to light. If I was forced into buying a GM product I would probably buy the diesel instead of gas because of all the lingering CSK concerns with there gas motors [still having problems with that]. Calgery Redneck I know your a diehard GM man you havent said good things about ford yet.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:43 AM
calgary_redneck
Senior User
lol what lingering conserns about their gas motors lol

Old 05-04-2004, 07:46 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CSK Cold Spark Knock Check this out www.pistonslap.com it will explain.

Quick Reply: possible duramax issue