1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Privacy Tint illegal???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 02:09 PM
MyRanger4Ever
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Privacy Tint illegal???

I was driving out of town when a state trooper pulled me over and told me my tint was illegal? Why would ford do that I guess some states it is different. Anyone else been told that about their tint?

Old 04-23-2004, 02:26 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Depends on your state. Here in KY, you can do whatever you want to the rear glass including rear doors...but the front door windows must be within legal limits (35% light transmission). The privacy glass on a Ranger is more like 15% but it's only on the rear portion of the cab so it's OK here and in most states I'm aware of. Either your state's laws are different or the trooper doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:27 PM
jt-stl
Junior User
This is a pretty comprehensive list of state and provincial tint laws

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Old 04-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MyRanger4Ever
I was driving out of town when a state trooper pulled me over and told me my tint was illegal? Why would ford do that I guess some states it is different. Anyone else been told that about their tint?
If he didn't give you a ticket, dont worry about it. If he did, and it is for your rear windows, than just explain that when you go to court for the ticket. Or speak to your local judge before the court date and he will probably have it removed and it will cost you nothing. Unless you have some strange state law, you will be okay. Besides that, nobody (including a Trooper) will be able to just look at a window and tell that it is too dark (unless it is blatently obvious... IE he shines his light directly on it and cannot see through, then that's just your fault). Anyways, if it's not on the front window's, dont worry about it and just pay a visit to your local judge.

P.S. You need to put your actual location in your description or put nothing at all. Second... Ford vehicles are all that is aloud in sigs, and all other's will be removed w/o notice. This is a 3 strike rule.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:17 PM
marcusg
Senior User
hey man, question did you have a run in with the law in the past? Sometimes if u or your kids have had a bit of a run in they can pull u over with that excuse just to see in the vehicle because it sounds like thats all it was. If it means anything here in Ont. Can. If you have a p.i. license you can have your windows blacked out or a government job which u have personal use of your vehicle.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:56 PM
valo
Senior User
in the state of California it is ilegal to tint your drivers side and pasenger side windows

Old 04-24-2004, 08:28 PM
94B4000
New User
Nc Law

NC Law 35% Visual Light Transmitted (front window) and yes they do have a tool to mesure this with, rear windows are allowed without restriction. If they are not factory tint, then there must me a sticker in between the glass and window tint to show that it is within limit and legal. Just my $.02 worth... "Just doing my job on the Highway Patrol" Remember that song, LOL....
I wonder why he/she really pulled you over..

Old 04-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Benjam04Edge
Freshman User
To the original author of this thread........

I work in Universal City and live in Marion Texas. I had limo tint on my 03' Ranger on the back window and got pulled over on I-37 going to Corpus by a Trooper.

The trooper indicated my windows were too dark and asked if I had been drinking. (It was 3am) Once it was clear that I was not drinking, I was free to go. The officer may have had another motive for his stop............

My new 04' Edge Ranger does not have tinted windows yet........

Fight the ticket dude.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:51 AM
redranger99
New User
Wink tinted mine illegally

I live in MA, and I tinted my front windows about 15% darker than is legal. I get migraines and it really helps me with my light sensitivity, and I like the privacy. But they are not as dark as the "smoked glass" of the rear windows in the ext cab, which is what Ford ships with.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:59 AM
DaFord4U2NV
New User
I live in hawaii and dont really care about the laws regarding tint...considering half the cops on this island have personal vehicles with blacked out windows it no wonder...I have 35% light tran. on my windshield and 5% on both my sides and 1% on the rear and ext. cab windows. I dont want anyone seeing me singing my butt off while im driving who does???

Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 AM
MyRanger4Ever
Freshman User
I was just doing 75 in a 70. Troopers where all over the place pulling people over. One speed past me then one came up with lights to get people to me but stayed behind me. And I happened to get pulled over the 1 time i'm not speeding how ironic I think.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:21 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyRanger4Ever
Correct me if I am wrong but are you saying that the windows that Ford installed in your truck were to dark? If that is the case then the trooper that pulled you over is full of it. If someone installed window tint on your windows then sold you the truck that ain't fords fault.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:22 PM
German_Shepherd
New User
We recently passed laws restricting the use of window tinting. The police department bought one of the measuring thingys to test people's glass with. It soon quit working, however, and everyone has tinted their glass, INCLUDING WINDSHIELDS, all black. Go figure.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Twisted Ranger
Senior User
If your windows are factory tint, it's not illegal in any state as far as I know. Aftermarket however..........check your local cop shop. I'd fight the ticket too.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:39 AM
johnranger97
New User
yea, in every state its different, but in florida they are pretty flexible. you are allowed to have any percent tints on your back and rear windows but the fronts have to be 20 percent or more, i have gotten stopped about mine before though because i have 10 percents and blacked out in the back. its not common. just depends on whether or not the cop wants to give you a hard time.

Quick Reply: Privacy Tint illegal???