Question about using Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:29 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about using Seafoam

I am going to do the Seafoam thing this weekend. I know B.O.F. uses it and am wondering....
what is the easiest/best way to have the engine injest the liquid?
Vac line to brake booster?
Some other vac line?

Any other comments or experiences?

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:09 PM
My98FordF150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Brian,
I used the seafoam today. After I disconnected the vacuum line to the brake booster, I slowly poured about 1/3 of the can into the vacuum line. I then shut off the truck for about 5 minutes and then restarted the truck. Make sure your truck is outside or in an extremely well ventilated area when you do it. I also put a can of it in my gas tank.

98 Ford F150

Old 04-23-2004, 07:33 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Thanks.
I actually gave mine two smaller doses. One thru the brake boost vac line, and one through the line that goes up to the firewall to the evap fitting thing.
Made lots of funny smelling smoke.....
It does seem to idle better now. Haven't driven it so I can't say about that.

edit: HEY! just realized you are new to FTE. Glad to have you here and hope you stick around. It is a great web siTe with lots of good people.
Welcome!

Old 04-24-2004, 03:19 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I put 5oz in a glass container,have someone in the truck,and let the brake vacuum line ingest it.As soon as its gone I have the person shut it down.Wait 15-20 minutes,start it up,smoke out your neighbors,and go drive on the interstate 3-5 miles to blow the rest of the crap out! Come home,change the oil and poor the rest of the SeaFoam in your tank!

The reason I use a glass container is,the first time I did this I stuck the vacuum line in the can and the vacuum was so strong it sucked the can flat! LOL!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2004, 10:17 AM
dalonso
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where can i buy the seafoam? any online sources for the product? also is their a recommened mileage that the truck should be at?

Old 04-24-2004, 11:24 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
You can get it at Napa,Carquest,or Advance auto parts.I strongly suggest not introducing more then 5oz. into the motor at a time,for the fear of hydro-lock!

Old 04-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can pick it up at just about any car parts store, and even farm-stores too - farmers love to feed it to their tractors =).

Why do you hook it to the brake line vacuum booster thing? I don't even know where that is..but =P

Old 04-24-2004, 04:08 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
That is the easiest place to pull it into the motor to have it distributed evenly to the cylinders.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:28 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Could this possibly help me go back to 87 octane? I believe my use of 89 was brought on by carbon build up.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:35 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Thomas,
I am - generally speaking - not a big fan of "miracle in a can" type stuff. But....Sea Foam seems to work!
I too had developed a slight bit of ping using 87 octane, under certain circumstances.
I have not noticed any pinging since the Sea Foam treatment. Even allowing for the placebo effect, I'd say it made a difference and was worth the $8 I spent on it.
I really wasn't expecting to see any difference but it seems to idle smoother and "run better" (how's that for a vague description?)

I plan to keep it up.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:52 AM
travlnman
More Turbo
That's cool, I'm gonna try it today. I wil drop my truck off about 9a.m. to have the radiator flushed. I'm gonna see if they have the anode's as well to put in the coolant so maybe we can prevent this later down the road.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:39 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Thomas (or anyone else),
I wondered....by using the brake boost vac line, does that allow the Sea Foam "equal access" to all intakes? The vac port is on the port side, near the rear. I wonder if that allow the Sea Foam easy access to cylinders fed on the opposite side of the intake.
That question/concern is why I repeated the process using the vac port that ties in just under, and just after, the throttle body. I'd think this would be more likely to allow for the most equal distribution to all cylinders. All cylinders get their air thru this area and it just seems to make sense that they would all get a more unform dose of Sea Foam if it is administered thru this point.
Comments???
Thanks.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
True, I used it today, and like everyone said, lotta smoke. You have a good point, but I used the brake line today because it was the easiest. I had been working on radiator's and water pumps all day , and was in no mood for any more wrench turning.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:57 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
I do believe the Sea Foam will get sucked into all cylinders regardless of where it is injested. When a cylinder on the opposite bank is drawing in fresh air, it is pulling vac on the brake boost line as well. So, it is bound to pull the Sea Foam in - to a greater or lesser extent than cylinders nearer the vac port for the brake boost.
Regardless, I'll use the other line in the future. I disconnected the vac line right at the fire wall and put the Sea Foam in. This line goes straight in to the intake directly after the TB.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:36 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Since it was asked about in a different thread;
Here is how I did it......

Sea Foam Treatment for 4.2

Run the engine until warm.
Turn off engine.
Locate vacuum line leaving the bottom of the intake just behind throttle body. It should terminate into a connector located on the upper portion of the driver’s side of the firewall. (You should see a tag with “evap” on it, and a screw-on cap.)
Use a flat blade screwdriver to pull back the two sides of the retaining ring that holds the vacuum line in place.
Once removed, insert a small funnel or similar device into the vacuum line. (I used a 50cc syringe without the needle.)
Start the engine.
While holding a med-fast idle (2000-2500 rpm) slowly pour 5-6 ounces into the vacuum line. The vacuum will suck it in fast. I poured ˝ the dose in and waited approx 30 seconds, then poured the rest pretty quickly (the engine will bog down slightly at this point) and immediately shut the engine off.
Wait approx. 10 minutes and restart the engine.
It will make a lot of smoke. Rev the motor to clear at all the smoke.
Drive as normal now.

NOTE: as an option, you can use the vacuum line connected to the brake boost assembly. Remove tension form the clamp ring attaching the vacuum line to the check valve then remove the line from the check valve. Administer the Sea Foam thru this vacuum line.

Quick Reply: Question about using Seafoam