Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water In Fuel Changed Filter won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 08:50 PM
MacRitchie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My water in fuel light came on. I drained the filter at least two or three times. It stayed on and then the engine just sputtered to a stop. I changed the filter and filled the chamber with clean fuel after cleaning out the filter chamber. The truck won't start for anything. About 1/4 of the time it knocks like it wants to start but does not start. This is a 2002 excursion deisel. Frame mounted fuel pump how do I know if it is working, Is there a separate injector pump ? Would any of this be covered under warranty. What will crank this over

Old 06-22-2003, 10:15 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The knock you are hearing is a "fuel knock." It is what you here when the engine is running out of fuel.
Your truck has an electric fuel pump that should refill the filter as soon as the key is turned on. If it is working, it should expel fuel from the filter canister with the water drain open at 70 PSI (you may want to put a rubber hose on the drain and drain it into a suitable container while an assistant turns the key on to avoid making a mess).
If the pump is working it should fill the container at a rapid pace. If it is not, check your inetria switch (your owners manual should tell you where it is). If that is not it, you may have to take it to the dealership to get it fixed.

Old 06-22-2003, 10:20 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another idea. If the fuel pump is not working, try unplugging the fuel heater wire on the fuel filter canister. If the fuel heater is shorted to ground, the system may be designed to turn off the fuel pump.
Also, there is a power distribution box probably under the hood that should have some relays in it. One should be labeled "fuel pump." Swap it with an identicle relay and see if the pump starts.

Old 06-23-2003, 06:38 AM
MacRitchie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

Is the inetria switch the fuel pump reset switch. That switch is in the passenger panel and says that if the car gets a good hit (crash) it shuts off the fuel. I did reset this.

I will try the other ideas and if not call the dealer and take it in. Sounds like fuel pump. Could all the jets just be clogged ? Seems unreasonable that all would be. Can the fuel pump just get clogged with water and not be able to get fuel through ? can it be disconnected and cleaned out?