Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

How do I remove the door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:21 PM
MrGuitar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I remove the door panels?

I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer. I want to remove the door panels to replace the speakers, but i dont know how to get them off. Anyone know how to remove these door panels?

Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 PM
shaggymane
Senior User
MrGuitar,
Basically they pry off. If you go to an auto parts store there are several types if panel removal tools. They are like a putty knife with a specailly designed slot in the center.
If you have a stiff thin flatbar it'd work too. if you have two, one for each side of the fastener, that would be even better. be carefull, those fasteners break and aren't made to go in and out alot. Kinda hard to explain what they look like, once you get a couple loose you'll see what they are all about.

You could also go to autozone .com, click on repair info. Navigate to where you want to go. they might have a diagram.

I better add something, only slide your tool in about an inch or so, then slide it up and down till you bump a fastener. I think they are spaced every 6 or 8 inches apart. All else fails you can always visit the local salvage yard and look at one that's already off

Last edited by shaggymane; 04-21-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 AM
mason
Elder User
You'll also need to remove two screws that are just above the door handle and the small plastic piece that surrounds the door handle. It just pops off. I don't use a tool, I simply use my hands and start at the lower rear part of the panel. Once all the push connectors are out the panel needs to be raised up to clear the channel at the top. To replace the speakers you'll need to disconnect the switches for the mirrors, door locks and windows. Before reassembling put on the push connectors into the door panel, line them up with the holes and use the butt of your hand to knock them in. Once you do one panel they are quite simple. I can have mine off and back on in less than 5 minutes.

Mason