1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Truck wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Diabolic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck wash

What does everyone wash their truck with. I've only washed my Ranger 3 times since i've owned it, and i've used dawn dish soap mixed with water in a bucket. My family keeps a bucket with that in the car washing stuff. I'm thinking this can't be to good on my truck, and i could probably be using something better. What does everyone use?

Old 04-19-2004, 11:27 PM
wire4money
Senior User
dish soap will strip the wax off the vehicle - use car wash (unless you like waxing your truck!!)

Old 04-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heard something to the affect that dish soap is formulated to surround oil molecules and that was how it would attack the paint.
Even the cheap car wash soap works OK.
P.S. DON'T USE ARMOR-ALL ON YOUR TRUCK !!!

Old 04-20-2004, 02:46 AM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
I like meguiars and eagle1

Old 04-20-2004, 04:11 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use car wash soap and I buy it by the gallon. As noted, dish soap takes off the wax. I also use warm water and not hot in order to keep the wax on the truck longer.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:41 AM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
i use meguiars car wash then every other wash i use there three step process (paint cleaner , polish, wax) it comes out really nice but it gets dusty really quick(i live in the city) westly's beach white for the letters on the tires, then mothers chrome polish on the bumpers and wheel covers (i need one for a 69 ranger). but dont use the chrome polish on your wheels if you have the 96 stlye or earler it cakes on and looks really nasty. just use a brillo pad on them and they shine up really nice

Old 04-20-2004, 08:23 AM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Real men wash their trucks with mud.

j/k, car wash soap is easily available.

-Jim

Old 04-20-2004, 08:25 AM
NorthPac
Senior User
Wink

to keep that showroom finish
spray off the surface of any grit first with high stream of water, use car soap and a good car mitt, use a lot of soapy water if real dirty and gently wipe, rinse. Don't apply full pressure when washing a car's finish
start at the top to wash first that's what I do. Have other mitt just to wash tires, fender trim

There is meany ways to screw up a car's showroom finish like harsh soap, a rag washing in a circular motion with pressure.

My worse problem I have is that my dogs would jump into the back of the truck and dig there claws into the finish and while 4 wheeling the brush against the finish but hey it's a truck! The finish still looks ok

Old 04-20-2004, 08:24 PM
valo
Senior User
dealford what do u use for your dash and plastic in side.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Stoge
New User
Originally Posted by Diabolic
What does everyone wash their truck with. I've only washed my Ranger 3 times since i've owned it, and i've used dawn dish soap mixed with water in a bucket. My family keeps a bucket with that in the car washing stuff. I'm thinking this can't be to good on my truck, and i could probably be using something better. What does everyone use?
The only thing Dawn will do to your truck is completely strip wax (if you wax it). I wash with dawn when I plan to use cleaner, polish, and wax in those 3 steps.

Between waxings I use Blue Coral Wash - n - Wax avaliable at Wally's.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:25 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back when I was a kid out of high school, I washed cars at a VW dealership. I was supplied with Zip Wax car washing soap.

That's what I have used since, on my own cars, 11 years later.

As for cleaning the interior, I use Armor-All cleaning wipes. The ones that come in the bottle with the PURPLE top, not the yellow one. They clean up spilled coffee and dust like you wouldn't believe, and doesn't leave a greasy shine like the yellow topped bottle wipes do.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Dealford, what is wrong with Armor All? I use that in the interior. Blue Coral is what I use for soap, but only because that is what is bought by my family.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Quackhead94ranger
Senior User
i agree with PSKSAM2, that is a good way to wash your truck
quack

Old 04-21-2004, 09:12 AM
TLD
Senior User
Expensive Soaps Waste Of Money !!!

Save the cash guys ! Use any dish detgergent that is clear that you can hold the bottle up to the light and see trough. The key to a great wash is the rinse to get all the soap off. Then a good dry.
Most late model trucks have clearcoat that will withstand any soap and the paint will not be harmed in any way.
Waxing ??? many have nice shiny new trucks and never wax them. But a good cheap wax that is safe for clearcoat is just as good as the expensive ones. I once talked to a guy that actually made up the formulas for car waxes and he said one is no better the other, It's how clean and well rinsed the truck is before you apply the wax.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
Dishwashing detergent is not a good idea...no one ever said it will harm you paint but it WILL strip the wax off of your truck. Unless you want to wax your truck everytime you wash it, I suggest using an actual car wash soap...it's not like its expensive.

Quick Reply: Truck wash