PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PCV Valve

Ok...I've got the symptoms mentioned on the board here as having PCV Valve problems. oil backflowing into the airbox..poor mileage..etc. Now...I read that on the 300 the PCV valve is on the back of the valve cover. What's the best way to go about removing it? Reaching over and doing ot by hand? How is it held in there? How can I tell if its bad? I'm not familiar with the whole system, so I'm at a loss..I just need some specific information. I couldn't exactly pick up everything from my thread searching (Yes I did search at least before posting).

Old 04-16-2004, 08:46 PM
FordF150Fixer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saurian; The PCV valve is just a loose press fit into the rubber grommet in the valve cover. You should be able to pull it straight up and out with just a slight twisting motion. The PCV valves are inexpensive. I don’t think its worthwhile trying to test them or clean them up for re-use. The oil in the air cleaner is a pretty good indication that the existing PCV valve is bad. Install a new PCV valve by simply pressing it into the grommet and attaching the vacuum hose.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I just basically climbed into my engine bay trying to feel around for that PCV valve...there's something at the back of the valve cover that feels like its been there for a long, long time by all the gunk covering it..but..I couldn't pull it out. Maybe I just couldn't get a grip on it, but it had a couple of things coming off of it.

How much would a new one cost? Think Napa or O'rielly's would maybe help me install the new one? Lol

Btw..somebody mentioned a PCV filter...is that part of the PCV housing?

Old 04-17-2004, 02:07 PM
95BlackF150
Senior User
the only filter for that is there is a hose that comes off behind your oil filler cap and goes to your airbox there is a small filter there the pcv valve is easy to pull out should only have 1 hose on it least thats all mine had anyway replaced mine couple days ago

Old 04-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I'll go out there and try again...but its a major pain in the ***.

I had to run family to Wendy's for some food, and I stopped at O'rielly's on my way back and they said that the PCV Valve was 1.99 from them? That sounds a bit on the inexpensive side...is that good or bad? My friend Hooker is there...maybe I'll have him come out and give me a hand. Still..I'd rather figure out this thing on my own...I'll bb. If you read this and have some pointers, I'm sure I'll come back in cussing in 15 minutes =P.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I can't find the PCV Valve. I crawled into the engine compartment (Read: I was sitting on the metal that the prop bar slides into, leaning over the back of the engine) adn was looking at the back portion of the valve cover. It's smooth, just like the front. The side where all the intake runners come off (left side) had nothing that I could see, and the right side had at the back this thing with a bunch of electrical connectors on it. Does anybody have a picture? I just cannot figure it out. I felt all around there..turned out I was pulling on a loom with a pair of big tubes coming off of it. But the valve cover felt smooth to me at the back. I couldn't see anything from my vantage point - just right of looking straight down on the cylinders. If somebody could give me a little insight...or pictures..anything, it would be appreciated. Also..is the 1.99 suspicious?

Old 04-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s....php?p=1522989

Lookie what I found searching the internet for "PCV Valve." So..by what was said on this post (very useful..) the PCV Valve is actually on the passenger side of the back of the valve cover..ie on the last cylinder's portion? Out I go again to cuss at this thing...

Old 04-17-2004, 05:05 PM
95BlackF150
Senior User
what yr is your truck mine is a 95 and its bout 3 inches from the end of the cover (firewall end) in the middle almost under neat the Throttlebody and EGR valve
Price is bout right on they can run from 2-3 bucks

Old 04-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I have an 89 is the truck in my signature/profile.

Old 04-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I went back out and felt along the valve cover again..but couldn't find it. I have the runner tubes from the intake...and is the PCV valve underneath the 5th or 6th runners? They're marked....

This is really upsetting. I"m doing something wrong...cause you all make it sound so simple.

Old 04-17-2004, 06:40 PM
FordF150Fixer
Senior User
Read the thread called "PCV Valve?" on this forum. It is dated 4-8-2004. The PCV valve on my '84 is in plain sight. Apparently Ford did a good job of hiding it on later madels. $2 is about the right price for a new valve.

Old 04-17-2004, 06:45 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Top of the valve cover, at the rear.
That's looking from behind the EGR valve, and intake plenum, from the drivers side.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
So the PCV Valve is the thing in the center with the hose coming out of it? And...the big silver-metal thing is the number 6 intake runner and the end of the upper intake? I'll have to go out and feel around again...if only there was more room. Maybe I'll pull my ATV up beside it so I can lay across its rear deck and over the motor from the driver side....

So when I feel back there on my 89 300-6 2WD...it WILL be directly behind the intake manifold itself..like almost up against it, and I should be able to feel the hose running around there off of it under the number 6 runner?

Last edited by Saurian; 04-18-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Ahah! The taste of success is sweet indeed. I finally found the little *******. Felt for hte little circular thing on the backside of the manifold...and..voila there was teh PCV with the hose coming off. That reddish metal pipe that goes over it was what was hiding it so well. Is that the EGR? Anyways...at 2 dollars even poor unemployed me can afford to go get a new one as soon as my uncle gets home. Woot....I'll make sure to change it there at Orielly's so that I can make them help me if I need to.

Anything else I need to know or do? Maybe I should go ahead and grab wires..ca...nah Im poor.

Old 04-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
One last question - How in the world does the PCV Valve rob mileage and power? I just don't understand it. I just popped in the new one. The old one looked like it was PVC/Plastic, the new one had a tin/aluminum feeling metal bottom taht went into the valve cover..and plastic on top. They both had a pair of nipples though..with the top one getting plugged by a small, tight-fitting black nub that was included and cast with the PCV Valve.

Is there any way to tell if the old one is bad? I shook it, and it still rattles around. It's not as easy to blowthrough as the new one though..if that means anything. I just wnat to know how this PCV Valve can rob mileage/power. I don't understand that.

Between the PCV Valve and my new air filter...if I don't see 13 mpg on this tank of gas..Imma be severely ****ed off. I've been getting 11 now with a dirty filter and PCV Valve...but the air filter was REALLY dirtay....

Btw..the new one is Fram...do I need to go ahead and order a new one again already from Purolator or motorcraft?

Last edited by Saurian; 04-18-2004 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: PCV Valve