General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Camping stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:44 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping stories

How many of you have interesting/funny/scary camping stories?

A few years ago me, my friend, my dad, step mom, and her friend we camping out on lake Texoma. Memorial day weekend we packed all of our camping gear in our boat and drove out to a sandy cove and camped out on a beach. Alot of fun. Well the last night a big storm came through and the winds picked up quite a bit. Well my tent was being blown so hard that the poles were collapsing and the tent was practically laying flat. So I woke up my friend so we could hold the poles to keep them from breaking. Well then it started raining and by this time the wind had really picked up. Sand and rain were being blown up and under the rain fly and into the tent. My dad and step mom and the 2 dogs were in my dads tent (a 4 pole tent) and the wind came so fast that he wasnt even able to finish zipping up the window before the wind caught it like a parachute. It ripped the steaks out of the sand and tossed that tent over, litteraly, with 2 people and 2 dogs. The carbon poles snapped like twigs. So they grab their stuff and head to our tent. When I got out to help with the dogs and I litteraly was sandblasted. My back was bleeding cause the sand was blowing so hard. My dad and step mom had shirts and blankets over them and I was just in my boxers. Keep in mind that we are strait off the beach so no trees to block the wind. So then my step moms freind joins us in my tent so we now have 5 people and 2 dogs in a 3 man tent, all of us cold and wet. Well me and my friend keep holdin the poles and figuring that this will blow over pretty quick we would be fine. Well it didnt, we held those poles for 5 hrs, no joke. It finally let up, when the sun came up. Our boat was beached and full of water and we had to have someone tow back to the marina. The next day at work my dad was talkin to his boss. Well his boss was out on the lake at the same time in his sailboat. The wind was blowing his boat into the dam, when he tried to start the little outboard motor to keep the boat from being broken up, it burned up the motor. Needless to say his boat ended up in the rocks. But he said that night there were 100+ mph straitline winds. That explained alot.

So what are some of yalls more memorable stories?

Old 04-12-2004, 10:37 PM
superspike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One time I went skinny-dipping in the river when we went camping to pick Huckleberries with our church.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:54 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99% of my camping stories are drunk-fests.

One time, me in a group of 8 hooked up with some woman (late 30's) and her (early 20's) lover. Well, something happened, and one of my buddies got clocked by the lady. Literally, rolling on the floor, laughing our freaking ***** off.

Another time, me in a group of 4 meet up with a group of 3. A guy had an old army tent given to him by his grandfather. 7 drunk guys plus antique tent equals one broken tent. That same trip, one guy tries to "borrow" a smoke, the other wouldn't give, so he got a flashlight to the gut.

Yet another time, a buddy decides to go 4 wheeling at about 9 or 10 at night. He takes a buddy for company. Well, about 1 in the morning, the rest of us start worrying, and head out looking for them. We found them, about a 20 minute drive down the logging road with a mini-mag flash light, walking. He got his Blazer stuck so bad, we had to hike in to where he got stuck with a jack and some plywood (I don't know what we were thinking in the state we were in) but somehow, we got him out.

And this one time, at band camp... Ha ha. Just kidding.

Anyway, this other time it rained so hard, we didn't even bother setting up our tents. 3 guys and a girl in my Tempo. 2 Blazers full of people, and another guy in his Datsun 510. Needless to say, EVERYBODY was cranky in the morning.

Another time, some guy thought it was funny to spit sunflower shells at me. He learned pretty quick what I thought about that.

But the times I went with my family when I was a kid, everything was pretty tame.