Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel VS. 7.3L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 08:48 PM
cpdjr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dodge is most likley going to use a version of the Mercedes MBE engine in the future,Ford did not buy the "rights" to the B series engine they owned part of the company,you are also gonna see a pick-up from Freightliner that is going to look a lot like a Dodge

Old 05-09-2001, 08:50 PM
cpdjr
Freshman User

The HEUI injection system on the Powerstroke was designed buy Cat and is used on their 3126 engine

Old 05-09-2001, 08:53 PM
cpdjr
Freshman User

TELL IT LIKE IT IS BROTHER!

Old 12-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Scott Ford
New User

I have a 1994 f 350 turbo diesel 7.3l 4x4 crew cab. Is there anything I can do to help out fuel milage and performance? It seems to be getting about 10 mpg. The trans is auto w/od, and seems to shift too soft. It has 125,000 miles on it.

Old 12-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Brian460
Posting Guru

I would say that is about normal milage with the auto.

You might try posting a new thread the one you replied to is about a 1.5 years old.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:15 AM
RBC
Junior User

Cat holds the patent on the fuel system. Some of the Formula 1 cars are camless and use solonoids I believe. I did see something on Speedvision about Pugeot in Europe having this technolgy available for use in the near future on the street. Hard to believe but these formula 1 engines are turning 14,000 rpm's and more.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:19 AM
RBC
Junior User

It's still early,not awake yet...some diesel stand-by engines
have been converted to run on natural gas ands LP gas

Old 12-07-2002, 12:03 AM
SMSTEEDA
New User

Pardon me if i repeat anything in this post. i will try to clarify some confusion between the 94 IDI and the 94 PSD.
First of all, up until 1994 the 7.3 IDI was not turbo charged. When in 1994.5 Ford offered the IDI in a turbo form that was equipped with a Garret(baby) low boost quick spooling turbo. The HP rating for this engine was 195hp @ 3000 rpm. I think max torque was 450 @ 2100rpm.

The Powerstroke came out some time in mid to late 94 as well and it was a equipped with factory detuned Garret turbo that make an assload of power. the Hp difference was only 20 hp but the torque number was much better at i think around 480 to 490. the difference is amazing. My truck has the IDI withe the turbo and it is powerfull but it only makes 7lbs. of boost and doesn't achieve this until more than 3/4 throttle. the PSD on the other hand makes 10lbs. of boost and it makes it pretty much above idle. Seat of the pants power differences is definitely noticeable.

this is all i have been able to pick up in the few months i have owned my diesel

hope this helps

+STEEDA (powered by Ford)
93 Mustang GT STEEDA

1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab LWB 7.3 Turbo diesel
352,000 miles and using a bunch of oil, but runs great!!

Old 12-07-2002, 10:15 AM
rjmcgee
Freshman User

Your numbers seem a little high. The DI was rated at 425 ft lb
and I don't know what the IDI was rated at, but it was just a little lower than that. I have an oppertunity in Jan to run my 96 PSD on a dyno. Has anybody here tried this? Curious what it will put down.

Old 12-07-2002, 08:01 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User

The fuel deliery system is a CATERPILLAR design in the PSD. Mine is presently in the shop for lifter problems. Still under 36000 mile Ford waranty. I'll let you all know how it fares after repairs.

HKuter, '01 F250SD PSD, Long bed, auto, love it.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:26 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
directinjection89
New User
i would just like to say everyone bashing the electronically controlled direct injected turbo charged deisel is a complete idiot. the electronically controlled injectors are a great advancement in deisel technology. the electronis injectors replaced the pln system which is pump line nozzle for those of you not farmilar the it, the pln system was not capable of high injection pressure needed to properly atomize fuel. they were also very limited in power.the injection pressure from pln system was between 2,000 and 5,000 psi. with electronically controlled cam actuated injectors the pressure could reach in the range of 25,000 psi which is enough pressure to properly atomize the fuel for a good clean complete burn. the electronics are also better with fuel economy. yeah the parts are more expensive and a little more complicated but if you know what you are doing it is very simple. unlike the pln you do not need to time an injection pump and set rack travel and linkages, the line do not have to be of equal length. with the electronic engine as long as your cam and crank are correctly timed the injectors will be timed because they are actuated by the cam. they also utilize a common rail which eliminates all those high pressure lines. over all the DI electronically controlled turbo deisel is the way to go.and for all you old timers the disagree take a quick look at fuel milage and power which makes more??? ( electronically controlled ) but back to the original question is this 94 a pln system or a DI electronic turbo deisel? if its pln the powerstroke add on wont work but if its a DI electronic they work

Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, don't hold back or anything. Do you realize this thread was 6 years old?

Say what you want, but my truck has outlived many powertrokes half its age. Low cost of parts make it feasable for some one like me to be able to keed the ol' 6.9 running for as long as I want it. If that makes me an idiot than I wear that name with pride.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
It amazes me how little guys knew about IDIs back then.
This thread is like a time capsule.
If I hear Ford owns Cummins one more time I think I'll .....................at least that B.S. rumor seems to have died over the last few years. cpdjr at leats got it right, F.M.C. did own 5% of Cummins until '97. And guess what ??? there IS a Freightliner pick-up out based on a Dodge.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by directinjection89
i would just like to say everyone bashing the electronically controlled direct injected turbo charged deisel is a complete idiot. the electronically controlled injectors are a great advancement in deisel technology. the electronis injectors replaced the pln system which is pump line nozzle for those of you not farmilar the it, the pln system was not capable of high injection pressure needed to properly atomize fuel. they were also very limited in power.the injection pressure from pln system was between 2,000 and 5,000 psi. with electronically controlled cam actuated injectors the pressure could reach in the range of 25,000 psi which is enough pressure to properly atomize the fuel for a good clean complete burn. the electronics are also better with fuel economy. yeah the parts are more expensive and a little more complicated but if you know what you are doing it is very simple. unlike the pln you do not need to time an injection pump and set rack travel and linkages, the line do not have to be of equal length. with the electronic engine as long as your cam and crank are correctly timed the injectors will be timed because they are actuated by the cam. they also utilize a common rail which eliminates all those high pressure lines. over all the DI electronically controlled turbo deisel is the way to go.and for all you old timers the disagree take a quick look at fuel milage and power which makes more??? ( electronically controlled ) but back to the original question is this 94 a pln system or a DI electronic turbo deisel? if its pln the powerstroke add on wont work but if its a DI electronic they work
You better watch out, you're on the wrong forum to be bad-mouthin' IDIs. You might end up with a gang tonque-lashing!

I think Powerstrokes are the second most OVERATED diesel, right behind the Duramax. I don't mind the truck wrapped around it though.
I wouldn't call them a piece of crap but I don't think the PS is nearly as great as it's reputation.
Plus with the help of the guys on here I can fix ANYTHING on my truck with the tools I already own.

You'll notice neither David85 or I called you an "idiot" that's the kind of respect we have for others on THIS forum!

Additionally the vast majority of us also know how to use "capitalization" and form paragraphs.

You might be suprised at the UNFORTUNATE lack of "old timers" on the site. I am only 35 and I'm pretty sure that over half of the users are younger than me. It seems that GOOD TASTE has little correlation to age in this case.

As far as power goes THE kings of HP and TQ are Cummins' with the Bosch P7100 IPs or the mega expensive Sigma. COMPLETELY mechanical and kickin' electronic motor's butts, all day every day!
Oh, and they're doing it with less C.I.D. and two fewer cylinders.

Quick Reply: 7.3L Navistar Turbo Diesel VS. 7.3L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel