Sponsored by: Moser

HID lights on my old ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID lights on my old ford

I am buying an H4 conversion kit for my 73 f100 4x4 and am putting my H4 HID conversion kit that I got on ebay in it...so I will have true (not HID look, the REAL thing) HID headlights on my truck.

I think its cool, and am excited, you guys think its too modern looking on something that old? It will LOOK the exact same with the lights off, you wont be able to tell, but at night with the lights on BLING BLING

Im doing it anyway even if you guys think its corny, But Im just curious what you all think about it

Old 04-09-2004, 05:39 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if I could afford the HID, I'd have it too.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:33 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What components are in the conversion kit? Or do you have a link to the auction page?

Old 04-09-2004, 08:33 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
If I meet you oncoming some night on the road, I'll just do what I do to EVERYONE with these lights: I'll turn my hi-beams on. If you feel you have the God-given right to blind me with those things, then I certainly have the right to do it back to you. The selfishness of some people in this world is just amazing. "I want the road in front of me as bright as I can get it, and I really don't care who I have to blind to do it."

The sooner they outlaw HIDs, the better.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
If I meet you oncoming some night on the road, I'll just do what I do to EVERYONE with these lights: I'll turn my hi-beams on. If you feel you have the God-given right to blind me with those things, then I certainly have the right to do it back to you. The selfishness of some people in this world is just amazing. "I want the road in front of me as bright as I can get it, and I really don't care who I have to blind to do it."

Looks like Icicle struck a nerve.....

-Matt

Old 04-09-2004, 12:03 PM
loveoldtrux
Senior User
Icicle ~ speaking of striking a nerve; go ahead and use the lights....
just don't drive around with a cell phone in your ear-hole - that strikes a real nerve..

I need your HID lights here in Rome to scare off all the deer - it's downright DANGEROUS at night!!...

Old 04-09-2004, 02:49 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kevin, what did those suckers cost you? I bought a set of bulbs that use the little modern halogen replacements, kind of looks like an HID bulb but it's not. I'm not installing them until I have my body damage fixed though.

I personally don't like the looks of the HID, the color of the light I mean. It's almost a blue/green and I have a harder time seeing it. I do hate being blinded by them. Gonna hit you in the eye with a million CP spotlight when I see you coming. Let me know when you get them in though because I do want to check them out.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ivanribic
Kevin, what did those suckers cost you? I bought a set of bulbs that use the little modern halogen replacements, kind of looks like an HID bulb but it's not. I'm not installing them until I have my body damage fixed though.

I personally don't like the looks of the HID, the color of the light I mean. It's almost a blue/green and I have a harder time seeing it. I do hate being blinded by them. Gonna hit you in the eye with a million CP spotlight when I see you coming. Let me know when you get them in though because I do want to check them out.

The kit was low 300 dollar range, 320 something I think. I will be using the same modern halogen bulb conversion you are and stick the HID's into it.

Kyle has the same halogen conversion kit on his bronco also. with diamond cut reflectors (not sure if you noticed em)

heres a link to one thats for 9007 bulbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
scroll through the stuff he has for sale Im sure theres an H4 kit in there

Originally posted by 1956MarkII

end quote

Geez, sorry, Ive never been blinded by em, and my glasses are so scratched that they glare horribly, are you sure you arent thinking of something else? these come stock on BMW's and other luxury cars.....didnt mean to offend you, and when people high beam me in any car, with any headlight system simply to be obnoxious, thats as dangerous or more dangerous than what you are claiming. when headlights are aimed correctly with a focused beam, there is no danger, regardless of the light type or power level

I didnt mean to tee anyone off, and am not sure how this post accomplished that, especially a member I hold in such high regard and respect. Ill sure think they're cool though

Last edited by Icicle; 04-09-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:26 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
I don't think HID's are any more annoying in oncoming traffic, they just seem to attract your attention because they are different. I remember the same thing when halogens first came on the market, man they seemed obnoxious, and you could tell when someone had them. That blue tint attracts my eyes like a moth to the light, but I bet we get used to it when it becomes the norm.

Too cool Kev!

Old 04-10-2004, 01:58 AM
ackusackus
Senior User
If there is any vehicle with "obnoxious" lighting, it is the early-mid 90's body style ford truck (I don't know the exact years they are made and too lazy to look). When I am in my wife's car, or when I used to have a car, I ALWAYS got blinded by those jokers.....It did not matter....2wd 4wd lifted, stock whatever. Now that I am in a truck and sitting a little higher, they do not bother me as much, however I can still tell when an oncoming vehicle is one of these year trucks even before I can make out the shape of the vehicle/headlight lenses just from the brightness. I will also say that while it annoyed me a little, I let it slide cause it was a FORD!!!

I am confused about how you are mounting the actual bulbs in the front of your truck..can you explain?

ackus

Old 04-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Icicle
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ackusackus

I am confused about how you are mounting the actual bulbs in the front of your truck..can you explain?

ackus

Sure..... First you buy a lamp assembly that is called an "H4 conversion kit" it replaces the one piece units you buy now with a permanent piece that accepts H4 bulbs from schucks or autozone or whatever, so it takes just h4 bulbs instead of buying a whole new headlight everytime one burns out......

Then you wire in the HID conversion kit (see link above) it is an h4 sized bulb that just plugs into the new housing you bought and voila.....HID's in an old truck

Old 04-10-2004, 08:37 AM
rhodie
Senior User
I thought true HID lights were installed on cars to point a little lower on the road to keep the glare down and to the sides--though it doesn't help much--and that conversion kits were worse because the lights they are inserted into direct more light straight on (the lights having been manufactured for non HID). (Article in consumer reports recently...)

Do what you want, it's America, but you probably will get flashed quite a bit, so be careful. I don't flash people with those lights intentionally--only unless the glare from them borders on blinding. That is irresponsible.

Old 04-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought HID lights reqired high voltage power supplies? Isn't it more than just a blue tinted bulb???

Old 04-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Txquadhunter24
Elder User
Hella makes a good cheap set that replaces the old light to the new ones.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:06 PM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Uh, you are not supposed to look into the oncoming lights...

Quick Reply: HID lights on my old ford