2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Listen up Ford engineers! Fix the F150!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:13 PM
GLW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm in need of a new vehical and I've been looking at the 2004 F-150 since it came out. This however is enough for me to pass on the F-150. Maybe I'll wait for the 2005 model, or maybe not.

Last edited by GLW; 04-06-2004 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 04-06-2004, 12:39 PM
vtn98
Junior User
I think it a little ridiculous to expect perfection from something that is mass manufactured. Realistically, the 27% number means absolutely nothing. It is simply 27% of the people who actually chose to respond to the survey.

Understandably, there is frustration at being affected with a truck that has problems. Just like any product on the market, there are going to be defects. If 27% of 2004 Ford F-150s were actually having this problem, then the media would be all over it and ripping Ford to shreds and they would no longer be able to claim the best selling truck. I guarantee that if you guys considering buying other trucks check the other forums (Checy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota) you will find that there are a lot of people there complaining about problems, too. There is definitely an air of paranoia growing here and it's starting to get a little out of hand with everyone being so increasingly negative.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:43 PM
ANAP
Senior User
Originally Posted by vtn98
I think it a little ridiculous to expect perfection from something that is mass manufactured. Realistically, the 27% number means absolutely nothing. It is simply 27% of the people who actually chose to respond to the survey.

Understandably, there is frustration at being affected with a truck that has problems. Just like any product on the market, there are going to be defects. If 27% of 2004 Ford F-150s were actually having this problem, then the media would be all over it and ripping Ford to shreds and they would no longer be able to claim the best selling truck. I guarantee that if you guys considering buying other trucks check the other forums (Checy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota) you will find that there are a lot of people there complaining about problems, too. There is definitely an air of paranoia growing here and it's starting to get a little out of hand with everyone being so increasingly negative.
Excuse me...did you just pay over 40,000 for a truck and have issues with it? If not then go find another post to reply to...

Old 04-06-2004, 01:04 PM
vtn98
Junior User
Uhh, actually I did just buy a $40,000 truck. Lariat SCrew loaded with everything. If I happen to have issues with it, then I will get it fixed by Ford or get my money back.

When you go buy a Nissan or Dodge and it doesn't perform like you want, are you going to sue them, too?

I'm merely expressing my opinion here. The fact is the vibration is obviously not as prevalent as some are making it out to be. Are you always going to get upset when someone posts something that is in opposition to your views? Grow up.

People who do have the problems are here to try and find ways to fix them. They don't need others making stupid jokes and being plain negative. That doesn't help anybody. Go ahead and flame. I know you can't wait.

Sorry your truck is having problems. I know it sucks. No need for personal attacks, though.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM
fooch
New User
By the way, I wasn't referring to you guys as bad apples. Rather, I was referring to your trucks as possibly being a few bad apples and I dont think that should ruin the whole bunch which seems to be great. I also take Jeff's word that these have had fewer probs than any other truck in his 20 years. One more thing, just for grins, I went to one of the big chevey web sites (try it) and there are just as many complaints over there about problems with the new trucks. My theory is this. 99% of people dont look for something wrong with their new truck, thus unless it is a huge problem, they dont notice it. A few do, and those are the same types who visit forums about trucks. That is a recipe for alot of false worrying. And, it makes the few bad apple trucks (which every make has) seem like alot more than there are.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:26 PM
ANAP
Senior User
I was just directing you to post somewhere that fits you...If you are not having issues then why are you posting on a thread that is about having issues??? You seem to of got offended and I am sorry...but this is a thread to complain about the issues...not defend Ford.

Ford is a major corporation....any defects they have sold should be replaced...simple as that! That is all I am wanting for the people that were sold bad products. Especially $40,000 products!

I have been lucky compared to some people though....only have the vibration at 50-55...some people really got jacked with the computer malfunctions and vibrations. Everything else about the truck is great.....this is just the most I have ever spent on a vehicle and thinking it was perfect since afterall it is THE TRUCK OF THE YEAR! Hopefully they can just get these issues resolved...instead of telling people to live with it.

Corrected the bad lingo...sorry

Last edited by ANAP; 04-06-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ANAP...read the guidlines on language use, and please change your settings to accept email from us. Thank you

Old 04-06-2004, 01:53 PM
dzervit
Senior User
The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Admin..) has >30 logged complaints with the '04 F-150. Only FOUR of which are related to the vibration issue that '29%' of F-150 owners are having. While many are this board are crying about it, apparently not many are doing anything about it. And other folks are not complaining, either. If you think it's a design flaw or serious production issue that is effecting everyone's truck, then file a complaint with the NHTSA - get enough and they'll launch an investigation. Investigation get press coverage & in turn bad press gets a company's attention. But don't think anything is going to get resolved overnight... one-off issues like this can take some time to isolate and remedy.

Obviously, its not a wide-spread issue with the new trucks. When your selling trucks to the tune of a 3/4 MILLION a year your bound to have a small percentage that have issues.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Labrador
Senior User
MN 6.0, 1956MarkII & VTN98
I had a Ford Engineer tell me that my truck's Driveline Vibration was normal. Typical vibration that all Ford trucks old and new have it and he would not do anything else. He even told me to go the DSB if I was not happy.
The offical Ford Rep lied so Ford Motor Company lied! Not all the trucks have it. After I told my dealer service manager back in Novmeber that my truck had this vibration he begain to notice that about 1 in 4 of his new trucks had it too, some more some less. There are other Ford F150 owners on other Ford web sites with the same dirveline vibration issues. Just the facts.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:11 PM
ANAP
Senior User
LAB...I know the feeling man...

Seems like Ford is trying hard to keep this on the DL...that is that last thing they want...the public knowing about these issues. If they keep it quiet then SALES will continue to BOOM. While they try and resolve the issue secretly. Then all the people that did get the issues are really stuck with them.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:15 PM
fooch
New User
Not offended, just wanted you all to know that there are plenty of us who are not having probs. That really sucks for you guys that are, and I hope it gets resoved. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:16 PM
ANAP
Senior User
Originally Posted by fooch
Not offended, just wanted you all to know that there are plenty of us who are not having probs. That really sucks for you guys that are, and I hope it gets resoved. Good luck.

hey...

Thanks man!!!

Old 04-06-2004, 02:20 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
I understand the frustration of having problems with a $30,000+ brand-new vehicle. But aren't your attitudes just a LITTLE unreasonable?

Okay, there are some bugs to be worked out. In almost 20 years of selling trucks, I can tell you that this truck has had the FEWEST problems of any all-new model I've ever dealt with. No, it's not perfect, but it comes as close as humanly possible. Ford is working on it- the least a REASONABLE customer can do is give them a chance to remedy the situation.
please remember this: man is not perfect, so how can you expect what he builds to be perfect. i sell a lot of construction equipment and this is what i tell my customers.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:21 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fooch
I couldn't agree more, and I really hope you guys with problems get them taken care of. Only problem with mine so far at 3400 miles is a slight wind noise in the drivers window which is most likely from the bug shield that I installed. Getting the dealer to look at that soon thanks to advice I have seen on here.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM
tthunder
Freshman User
Just to add my two cents worth.......

My 04 scab has a vibration at idle then starts up again around 30mph and goes to 85 which is as fast as I have driven the truck. The truck has 5400 miles on it and has been there since day one. Ford has tried all sorts of fixes including one coil on the motor, torque converter, rebalance tires (three times), align front end (twice), harmonic balancer, dampner vibration kit, moved the motor over 1/2" to the right (haven't figured that on out yet), replaced the rear end chunk and rear seals that were leaking. The vibration is felt throughout the entire cab including the steering wheel, console, instrument cluster, door panels, seats and floorboard. You can visually see the passenger seat "bouncing " at idle and going down the road. And you feel all of those vibrations at idle and while driving.

The reason I bring all of this up is because Ford has been great throughout the entire ordeal. They are about to the point of replacing the truck with another. At least that is what they are leading me to believe at this point. All parties agree this truck is screwed up but no one can come up with a solution to solve the problem. Personally I feel the vibration may be coming from the crankshaft because it is happening both at idle and while driving.

If any of you "think" you may have this vibration problem, then you probably don't. It is bad enough that you would know it if it was there. The vibration is so severe that it literally puts my hands and feet to sleep. So if you have the problem give the dealer ample oppurtunity to fix and if they can't go to the Ford rep in your area. All of the service tech, reps & engineers working on my problem have been great to work with and if you give them a chance in your area you may find the same thing. And good luck to all who really do have this problem because it's irrating as hell driving this thing.

Quick Reply: Listen up Ford engineers! Fix the F150!