General Automotive Discussion

never been stuck like this before

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 03:11 AM
redneckdieselmechanic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never been stuck like this before

I seriously hate the narrow roads and drive-thrus that I have to drive on while bein' stationed in hawaii. Just for example tonight. I was tryin to go through the drive thru at burger king to get some chow. On this particular ramp, its only about 10 inches wider than the track on my 84 F150 regular cab longbed. So I try and make it up. My left rear tire starts to rub the curb a little so I pull to the right a hair to get it off. Its draggin' on the curb so I gas it a hair and I'm watchin the tire and not the front right side which has a curb and a rail that sticks out about a foot from a 2 foot drop off. Next thing that happens is the tire breaks free and the front right tire goes over the curb and gets hung off the other side and is lodged in between the 2 foot wall and the railing. The front bumper was sitting on one of the cross bars. Never been stuck like that before. So I get to lookin. This fella that lives down the road sees what happened and runs to his house to get his floor jack. The plan is to jack up the frame with his jack, use my factory screw jack to lift the tire up a little and take the pressure off it, take the lug nuts off the tire thats hung up and then slowly back the truck up while the jack follows it (jack has wheels on it). Worked darn good and I backed the truck up enough to clear the curb then put the tire back on it. The cop who came by to see what was going on called a wrecker and the driver came rolling up as I was puttin the tire back on. Needless to say he was one ****ed off wrecker driver cuz I didnt need him for anything except to borrow a block of wood to put between the jack and frame. Anyhow, one of the wheel studs was bent so Im runnin with 4 lug nuts and I got a busted marker light, scraped bumper, and 2 little dents on the front right fender where 2 of the crossbars of the railing contacted. Nothin like a little southern engineering.

Last edited by redneckdieselmechanic; 04-05-2004 at 03:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2004, 03:14 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Hey, I was on Oahu in 69-70. I had my 65 Mustang, still have it.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:00 AM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have done about the same thing going through a Jack In The Box drive through in Arizona.

They make those drive-thrus so narrow you will probally rub both curbs in a bicycle. They sure don't make em for the full saize vehicles that is for sure.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
Ha! Funny this thread came up cause I just had a funny thing happen today at an A&W/Long John Silver's. The drive-thru has a left turn is extremely tight, and I always jump the curb on the right hand side into a dirt patch, before I get to the menu, so I won't smash into a row of bushes that are along the right side, after the turn. Last night we got pounded with rain, so the ground is soaked. Well, I pull up to A&W, hop the curb like I always do, I place my order, shift back into drive, and my right rear tire starts spinning in the dirt, which is now thick mud. I goose the gas and my truck starts to move forward, and then I nail the pedal to the ground to hop back over the curb. I clear the turn, and I hear someone shouting behind me. . .I completely covered a guy behind me in a Miata convertable with chunks of mud!! This wasn't just a splash of mud, his whole front end was covered!! He was a good sport about it, didn't get TOO mad, I dropped him $5 and told him his lunch was on me. Sure made my day though!!

Old 04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Munkey
I clear the turn, and I hear someone shouting behind me. . .I completely covered a guy behind me in a Miata convertable with chunks of mud!! This wasn't just a splash of mud, his whole front end was covered!!
I would have loved to of seen that.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Ive done that before. Here at grapevine mills mall they have the main road and to the left of it there is an embankment. Well on weekend nights its packed full of cars so alot of people park on the embankment. Well theres a little road that goes behind the embankment so I decided I would go on that road, hop the curb and come up and over the embankment from behind that way when I leave I can just put it in drive and exit out on the main road. Well needless to say it was a mudhole behind that embankment because it had just rained. Well I say this little honda in the mud so I figured heck if that thing can do it so can I. Well I didnt have a problem but I hit a part of a mud hole that my left side just SUNK. I was like CRAP. Sooo I goosed it to keep my momentum and turned the weel to the right to keep from missin a tree. Well when my back end swung around to the left it COVERED the front end of a chebbie 1500 2wd. The guy wasnt there but i wrote a note and stuck it to the mud on his/her windshield with my number. I half expected to comeout of the movies with my windshield busted in or somthin lol. Never got a call though.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:37 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha! Funny this thread came up cause I just had a funny thing happen today at an A&W/Long John Silver's. The drive-thru has a left turn is extremely tight, and I always jump the curb on the right hand side into a dirt patch, before I get to the menu, so I won't smash into a row of bushes that are along the right side, after the turn. Last night we got pounded with rain, so the ground is soaked. Well, I pull up to A&W, hop the curb like I always do, I place my order, shift back into drive, and my right rear tire starts spinning in the dirt, which is now thick mud. I goose the gas and my truck starts to move forward, and then I nail the pedal to the ground to hop back over the curb. I clear the turn, and I hear someone shouting behind me. . .I completely covered a guy behind me in a Miata convertable with chunks of mud!! This wasn't just a splash of mud, his whole front end was covered!! He was a good sport about it, didn't get TOO mad, I dropped him $5 and told him his lunch was on me. Sure made my day though!!
And THAT, friends is why you should always carry a camera!!

Old 04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
broncobillybob
Posting Guru
Our atm line is like that back home, my Bronco right rear always bumps the curb on the way out. Also in town (Huntsville, AL) the road in front of the hospital is really narrow four lane w/ turn median. It's fun watching expressions on docs' faces when around trucks on that road. It's curvy and theres simply not enough room. -BBB

Old 04-06-2004, 12:52 AM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
I really hate poor construction in these things designed for Honda Civics. I know my Ford truck wouldn't make it there.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:01 AM
cjsmonnie
Junior User
LOL I loved these stories. I do not post much but I sure do read a lot. I'm a truck and mud girl through and through. I'd love to have been there to see 1. the other vehicles and 2. the other person's expressions! You guys made my day (or night as it may be).

~ Pearl

Old 04-06-2004, 08:53 AM
jskufan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stu37d
And THAT, friends is why you should always carry a camera!!
That, friends is why you should always carry $5.00 !!

Old 04-06-2004, 09:05 AM
TxLimo
Senior User
Ha! Funny this thread came up cause I just had a funny thing happen today at an A&W/Long John Silver's.
I've gotten stuck in the Sonic out in Annaville. Had to have someone direct me out of the slot. Somehow when I pulled in, I got so close to the menu on the passenger side that I couldn't fit my finger in between my truck and the menu. I just knew I was gonna lose a mirror and scratch the heck out of my door and front end. I also rub tires everytime I go thru Taco Bell out there. I finally quit trying. And this is in the Cheby 1500. Guess drive-thru's will be a thing of the past when I get the 250.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:47 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Wait until you put a 80 inch wide flatbed on your truck!

Old 04-06-2004, 07:15 PM
redneckdieselmechanic
Senior User
Its good to hear that I aint the only one gettin' stuck in a drive thru. Makes me feel less of an idiot.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:11 AM
mradster
New User
Red face

i use to have a jacked up gmc that had a 454 and it scrubbed on the curves and walls of a churches chicken drive through...I had to repaint it..Now my neighbor has it sittin on 44X19.50's i had 38X15.50os he can go almost anywhere...

Quick Reply: never been stuck like this before