General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Is It Okay To Say, "Life Is Good?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is It Okay To Say, "Life Is Good?"

I know that "misery loves company," that most people don't want to hear about the good things that happen in YOUR life when their's isn't so great. But I have one of those longer commutes, so I get to do a lot of thinking while driving back and forth to work. And I've come to the realization that I really do have it pretty good right now. Home life is about the best it's ever been, I have a nice house, and a garage full of vehicles. I'm not bragging, just stating some facts.

These points get driven home as I talk to customers whose spouse is in the hospital, in ICU, or as I had dinner tonight with a group of friends. I met Todd and his wife Nadine for the first time, and Todd just got back after serving a year in Iraq. He didn't say much about his experiences, but what he did say was enough. Enough to make me grateful that I've never been put in his position, and even more grateful that we have people like Todd in our military. To meet someone like him is to know why this country is as great as it is. Todd IS America, pure and simple.

I read almost every post here from FTE members about the problems in their lives. I may not respond to them (mostly because I don't know what to say or how to help), but I read them and I do care. I remember those people in my prayers. I hope those same people don't read these words and become bitter or jealous, because that's not my point. My point is this: when you think your life isn't all that great, take a look around you. You'll almost always find someone that's worse off than you. As for myself, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone BETTER off than me. It's like the old Irving Berlin song: one should go to sleep COUNTING THEIR BLESSINGS.

So, anyone else out there in the same boat? Anyone else have the courage to admit that "life is good?"

Old 03-30-2004, 10:55 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if you read any of my how u say not so good posts,Things are not the greatest for me right now,But it does give me a warm feeling to know that one of my fellow members is on a good streak (Honest)not trying to be sarcastic or funny.Some of my friends in car sales seem so depressed alot,and ya cant blame them,you sold me a lemon,I can get a better deal down the road(the heck with the fact that you work commision) That it is truely nice to hear of one who has a happy life.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I've got it pretty good. Well, at least really okay.

Almost out of debt, we can soon start putting money away for trips abroad, bigger houses, and there's no time like now to start a college fund for an unborn child. (Still not expecting yet, but we're trying! )

Got my truck paid for, hers half paid for. We both make okay money. We have a dog, a nice house, walking distance from the beach.

I only work 4 days a week. I quit smoking again. (for the umpteenth time) (3 days straight so far)

Everyone in our respective families are healthy.

I guess I can't complain.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:49 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm gonna say it is, I have a family that loves me, and I am not in any financial trouble, so life is good.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:48 AM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
That's exactly how I feel. Despite recent challenges.

Today, now, is as good as it gets. Now is the time to be happy.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:59 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Naw, it is fine to say it. Glad to hear things are going well.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:26 AM
GotLift
Elder User
I think that if everyone took a step back and looked at their lives as a whole and not just the problems (most of which will go away), they will realize that life is good for them too.
When I'm feeling down in the dumps, I try and step back to take stock of the good things. I realize that "this too shall pass" and it usually does.
We people seem to be the creators of most of our problems and blame it all on life. I work with a couple of guys that can't take responsibility for their problems because they are too busy pointing the finger at everyone around them. I pity them because they are so unhappy about everything. It makes me glad that I'm not playing the victim.

I love my life. Not that money is the root of all happiness, but I just got a 9% raise after 3 1/2 years without one. That's just gravy on my mashed potatoes.

Oh yeah. It's good to hear that you are doing so well and realize it. It's not only OK to say it but celebrate it.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:49 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Every morning you wake up and your feet hit the floor it is a GREAT day, what you do with it and how you view that day is up to you. Everyday of my life is better than the one before, becasue I am still here.
IMO

Old 03-31-2004, 07:52 AM
johare
Elder User
Any day that I wake up and can get out of bed is a great day! I am not stating that I am in poor health - quite the opposite (I have only missed 9 days of work in the past 25 years do to illness - not bragging just fortunate), it is just that we need to be thankful for every little thing. I know people who can't get out of bed without much pain and for whom every movement is a struggle.

So my life is not good it is GREAT! I am healthy, have sufficient income to live comfortably, have great children and grandchildren, and can go fishing every now and then and enjoy the pleasures of nature! What more could I ask for? (Oh and my truck is running fine - of course - it's a FORD!)

Old 03-31-2004, 11:25 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
I didn't mean to become sappy and all that, but the "power of positive thinking" can be a powerful thing. There's just so much negativity around us at a time when most of us have so many more reasons to be positive. I just never imagined when I was younger that I would be where I am today, with all that I have. Some obstacles cannot be overcome, no matter how hard we might try. But I think a lot of people could improve their lives by simply taking stock and appreciating what they have. How does that song go? It's not about getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got!

Life is just too short to not enjoy it, or to be continuously negative about it without good reason. Just ask anyone who's lives were directly affected by 9-11. There's one image I just can't get out of my mind, and that's the little boy at the remembrance ceremony in NYC on 9-11-03. He was about 10, and he was holding a framed picture of his father, who was a firefighter lost in one of the WTC towers. The look on his face: he didn't want more toys or games, he didn't want a trip to Disney World. He just wanted his Dad back.
And I said I wasn't going to get sappy.......sorry.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:44 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's ok to say life is good, and everything you've said is true. We all have our personal challenges and there are times that life will put us to the test, but when we stop, take a deep breath, and look back at things around us there is plenty to be thankful for.

I'm going in for an ultrasound on my thyroid tomorrow; it's swollen and enlarged. Somehow I still manage to smile many times throughout the day as well as try to put a smile on the faces of those around me, no matter what the road ahead will have in store.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:05 PM
buzziscrazy2
Senior User
"It's a Great day ta be alive"........Travis Tritt tune pops in me head.........

Hang on there Cowboybilly !!........Our Prayers are with ya........

Old 03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile

I'm going in for an ultrasound on my thyroid tomorrow...
A close friend was diagnosed with the "big C" on his thyroid, but with surgery and radiation he beat it; he's been in total remission since 1988. He too, enjoys each day as it comes.

Time to round up the FTE Prayer Group, fellas! Let's send some GOOD vibes to Washington State! We're with ya, CowboyBilly.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:01 PM
mkntrax
New User
You Bet! Life IS good!

Old 03-31-2004, 04:19 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

I'm going in for an ultrasound on my thyroid tomorrow; it's swollen and enlarged. Somehow I still manage to smile many times throughout the day as well as try to put a smile on the faces of those around me, no matter what the road ahead will have in store.[/QUOTE]

Well the big guy upstairs sure was listening to me (see great news post)So,you can bet I`ll be adding you into mine.

Quick Reply: Is It Okay To Say, "Life Is Good?"