1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

to fill or not to fill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
fordgo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to fill or not to fill?

well im at a quandry in my rebuild of my 54 ive replaced both the front cab cowl sides and i havent decided if i want to weld the top seam up or leave it exposed as original the new passenger does not have the fresh air grill in it so it isnt stock looking i know im leaving myself wide open here but what are your opinions on filling or not filling?

Old 03-30-2004, 05:33 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to fill it or wouldn't have asked the question. Go ahead and do it. First, it will look better and you want your truck to look good (not necessarily bone stock). Two, most people wouldn't notice whether you have filled or not. Their response to your truck will be positive. Last, anyone who notices and has the temerity to challenge you on it doesn't get the 'big picture' and won't be worth your time. Fill it. best. himmelberg

Old 03-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And if you do run into somebody with the temerity, get them to a doctor so they don't infect others. Fill it if you want to, nobody will fault you for it. But how will you vent your cab? With just windows? I kept mine and even went to the truble of installing a small electric motor to raise it. (Thr Rod Doors stuff was in the way.) Go for it, John

Old 03-30-2004, 06:02 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
"And if you do run into somebody with the temerity, get them to a doctor so they don't infect others."

I never had the temerity before. Can you git rid of it with common anti-biotics? One more word I have to look up in the word book from you this week and your on spension again Peter.

And I vote for cowl vents too. But it's your truck so screw it up however you like.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:10 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
If you fill the seam weld it shut that way it won't crack later. I still have the louvers but I made a cover plate to block them off and I filled my cowl vent also.

The rear window is a slider and I have a/c also left the vent windows in.

It's your truck do it anyway you like.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm considering a BBW conversion for my truck. Whether I do it or keep the small window, I'm going to fill the seam. There's no reason for it to be there, other than it was a time saving short cut on the assembly line.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:15 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Definitely weld it if you fill any seam. Bondo seams will crack or rust eventually.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
fordgo
Senior User
i still have the cowl vent in front of the windshield so that im gonna keep stock its just the seams between the doors and the front fenders i think i have decided to fill the by mig welding them smooth just wondering if any one else had done it and anything to watch for?

Old 03-31-2004, 10:16 AM
fatfords
Elder User
fordgo,
I have done this. It's a very simple mod. Clean it really well with a wire brush and then sand paper to get a bright surface to weld to. I started in the middle and welded about 3/8", then moved to the end, then the other side, etc. It's pretty heavy metal and along a bent joint, so warpage should be very minimal if you take your time. Dress it down with a flap wheel and a very thin coat of plastic filler, some sanding and you're ready for primer.

Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Temerity? I'm a little late getting this one but I thought someone earlier said that us folks couldn't understand more than two syllable words. fenders, I've been out done and I'm speachless. I think the cometic changes done are at this point a personal prefernce but if will add to strength or functionality that would be the only reason I would fill. Good Luck. I have to grab the dictionary to see what it all means.

Gear Up

Old 03-31-2004, 08:54 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Gear Up

I wasn't paying attention again. I thought Fordgo was welding another cowl vent shut.

And Himmel owns most of us when it comes to the English language. But me and John, (or perhaps John and I) have faster trucks so we're just calling it even.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:38 PM
fordgo
Senior User
well guys
i just finished up welding the two seams up i guess i was looking for any horror stories now they are all welded up and i will get the pics up later on what it looks like too tired to take them tonight thanks for all the input and advice and yes dewayne i am keeping the cowl vent lol

now time for the rear cab corners