1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Door Lock Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Smokeythebear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Door Lock Actuator

Just starting a replacement of a right door lock actuator, any tips on the install?

Old 03-27-2004, 03:18 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
It varies by model year, and model. Some of the late model vehicles still use the old style actuator and some use the newer style attached directly to the latch. Door panel design differs by model year and style as well. You may need a large rivet gun and drill depending on style. Do you have these at your disposal?

Old 03-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Smokeythebear
New User
Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow
It varies by model year, and model. Some of the late model vehicles still use the old style actuator and some use the newer style attached directly to the latch. Door panel design differs by model year and style as well. You may need a large rivet gun and drill depending on style. Do you have these at your disposal?
My truck is a 1999 F150 extended cab, the actuator is attached to the latch. After pulling the door panel I found a steel rod running to the actuator from the lock finger pull tab plus a rod from the outer door handle and cable to the inner handle. It is obvious they will be difficult to remove to pull the actuator out.. I attempted to remove the latch with the three screws but limited play with the assembly keeps removal of the actuator tuff.. I have the Ford replacment part, looks like a clip on the rear section with a single moving arm to pull the finger tab rod.. Just need to know the steps to best remove the old and put in the new.. Tools are no problem.. Your response is appreciated...Thanks....

Old 03-27-2004, 07:05 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
If its the one attached directly to the latch with no long actuator rod and no rivet to body you have one of the easiest ones to replace. First you want to take the bolt out of the lower window run and move the run out of the way to give you a little more room to place your hand. Then disconnect the power lead from the connector on the actuator. From the latch side of the door look at the bottom inside portion of the latch and you will see a groove the width of the latch. You will see a portion of the plastic tension tab of the actuator. Place a #2 flat tip against the tab and pop the tab toward the outer skin of the door. This will force the actuator to slide off the latch assembly. It may take a couple good pops and she should pop off the latch. Once it has come off the latch you just need to remove the wiring loom plastic retainer and extract the latch from the door. To install just align the upper and lower groove of the actuator with the mating grooves on the latch. Apply pressure on the tension tab while sliding the actuator onto the latch assembly pulling it toward you. Align the actuator arm to the latch lever and pull it in and fully seat it on the latch. Reconnect the power lead, and reinstall the lower window run bolt. Ensure the upper part of the lower run is properly seated into the upper run bracket with the spring tab behind the upper bracket which holds it securely in place. Then torque the lower run attaching bolt. Test the operation of the latch prior to reinstalling your door panel.

Sounds like a lot to do, but I can put a pair of these in both doors in about 30 minutes.

The older style requires removal and installation of a mounting rivet and in some cases removal of the latch to replace that type.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Smokeythebear
New User
Thanks very much, what you just described looks like what I have... Just did not want to start prying on the plastic until I checked with someone.. I will let you know how it works out.....

Old 04-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Smokeythebear
New User
Well Homer you called it exactly, it came out and the new one popped right back in... Thanks again....

Smokeythebear

Old 05-29-2004, 08:21 PM
glipscomb
Freshman User
In over my head, I think!

I am experiencing difficulty putting the latch and actuator back into the door. I have a '98 Ford Explorer and the original latch wouldnt open. I read here on Ford-Truck that it should be replaced and when I bought the part at the stealership they said it was a common replacement part. Well, I had difficulty getting the latch out by itself so I took the actuator out as well. Now how do you put the latch back in with all the rods and other linkages on it? This thing is hard as @#$.

Any secrets or tips would be much appreciated!!!

Also any advice on what kind of rivet tool to use to mount the actuator back on the door frame ?

Old 06-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Options
Freshman User
i can help you..... i also have a '98....i had the same problem... it took me a little while to fig it out but, it's accually easier then it looks.

( i'm trying to do this by memory so bear with me)
1. Unscrew the assembly
2. Remove the rod that connects the inside door handle to the assembly. (to do this you have to remove the inside handle)
3.there's a rod that connects the assembly to the out side handle unclip it./
4. the rod that goes striaght up i believe you need to lock the door to remove it... i had it unlocked and ended up bending it. ( the reason i think that will work is because when you lock it the rod lowers down)

Use a pop rivet and pop rivet tool.
<!-- / message -->

Old 07-03-2004, 12:23 AM
broncos16
New User
Hi I have a 2000 f150 and am going to be replacing the actuator, and it looks like there might be some rivots??? Not too sure has anyone done it on a 2000 F150 before and where is the best place to pick up the actuators? thanks

Old 07-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Options
Freshman User
Talking

I DID IT!!!! Your directions helped alot but still lacked some detail. There are 5 connecting rods to deal with.

1. Remove door panel by prying it out, then sliding it straight up. The window switch panel slides in off the door panel. Peel back sound proofing.

2. Removing the latch is the hard part. I didnt have to cut anything. Start by removing the inside door handle. 2 screws then slide forward (important! dont break it) Use a small mirror and a flash light to help see.

3. You have to remove the window track next. Hex bolt at bottom corner of door. Then slide it down.

4. Undo (open) clip for outside door handle rod. Now you have 2 of the 5 rods off and things start to free up.

5. Remove 3 bolts hold the latch assemble to the door. Pull 2 electrical connectors off.

6. Key lock rod goes straight up from latch. There is a pink quick disconnect next to the key lock. Use a flat head to pry open and push the rod out. Only 2 rods left!

7. Next is the black tipped rod that sticks up through the door. I unscrewed the black plastic tip to give more clearance. Pull it down and out off the hole. This might bend it a little but can bent back later.

8. Now the last one. The Power door lock actuator J hook. Twist the whole assemble with the 3 rods still attached down and off the J hook.

9. Take a picture of the old assembly in case you forget the lay out of the rods! Lay the old and new next to each other and transfer the 3 rods to the new latch.

10. Reverse the instruction to assemble. The only tricky part is the outer door handle rod. I had to take it all apart again to tighten it up. Try and remove all the slack before closing the cilp on it.

Took me 2 hours. I could do it again in 45 min. Now to replace my IAC!

David C.

98 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 70K miles
<!-- / message -->

Old 07-14-2004, 08:51 AM
TX97-150
New User
NEW to F150...Just recently bought a 97 F150 Lariat 4x4 3 door with the 4.6L V8... I love it... it was well taken care of ... except has two problems. One. door lock actuator on passenger side was not working.. THANKS to the forum I have succesfully changed it out... I found an aftermarket part that I bought the Pep Boys. cost @36$ compared to the dealer $83 and 63$ from the genuine ford parts web site. Thanks to all input and suggestionson previous posts, I decided it would be best to research possible alternatives to buying from the dealership. Junk yards wanted 35$ to pull one out of another vehicle. After looking around, I ended up calling a company that made them just to make sure they had an actuator that would be "plug and play" in my 97 F150 supercab--- they did part #75645. It was exactly plug and play.. #2... now I have to deal with the window on the passenger side. I have already prepped it to remove the motor..(drilled out two dimples to get the bolts. Window does have a draw on the battery and can hear a relay or something when I push the button... I am going remove the window motor and see how much fun I can have..Hopefully... according to some of the posts, all I will have to do is remove the motor and find out what- if anything is binding- fix it and not worry about spending more money....UNTIL THE NEXT DELIMA evolves... having fun fixin'

Old 07-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi and welcome to FTE
Good to hear that you got your lock fixed.
If you have any questions about the window feel free to ask.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:38 AM
scubaski
New User
hey broncos16

Hey b, did you ever get an answer on your question? I'm am in the exact same boat f-150 2000. I got the actuator out with the latch assembly but need to seperate the 2 and dont want to break anything. Do I drill the rivots? Where do we get the new actuators? HELP please

Originally Posted by broncos16
Hi I have a 2000 f150 and am going to be replacing the actuator, and it looks like there might be some rivots??? Not too sure has anyone done it on a 2000 F150 before and where is the best place to pick up the actuators? thanks

Old 07-31-2004, 03:19 PM
broncos16
New User
Hi Scubaski, yes I got them out and it was a piece of cake! (after the 1st one) Make sure to use the small slot looking thru the latch to pop off the acuator with a standard head. I didn't have to remove the latch assembly, I just used that small slot looking from the latch side of the door to pop the actuator off....You can buy the acuator's at your local ford parts counter but I bought mine thru http://www.wholesaleparts4u.com
which is actually a ford parts counter but I paid 25 bucks less for each actuator.

Hope this helps....

Old 08-03-2004, 04:27 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by broncos16
Hi Scubaski, yes I got them out and it was a piece of cake! (after the 1st one) Make sure to use the small slot looking thru the latch to pop off the acuator with a standard head. I didn't have to remove the latch assembly, I just used that small slot looking from the latch side of the door to pop the actuator off....You can buy the acuator's at your local ford parts counter but I bought mine thru http://www.wholesaleparts4u.com
which is actually a ford parts counter but I paid 25 bucks less for each actuator.

Hope this helps....
I just did my son's 99 150. I got 2 actuators from BestBuy but took them back as they were universal. The Ford ones are an improved version and fit well. They do just pop off door latch.

They were $ 48 a piece. Worth the money. No shipping.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuator