Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Considering the Tayota Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:17 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering the Tayota Tacoma

I am considering 4 vehicles for purchase in the next few months, to keep along with my 1994 Ranger 2wd (trade offers would never be enough to get me to part with it!)

1) The Explorer Sport Trac. Right away, wonder why this costs so damn much! Also, ground clearance is lower than what i would like. It does have the interior space I ideally want, with a bed large enough for what I need to haul (an occasional appliance, a couple lawn mowers, some large boxes).

2) The new F150. Even though I qualify for X-plan, this is out of my budget. A XLT regular cab with the extended space and extra door would do fine (to keep a toolbox or two behind the seat). Also drives a little larger than my Ranger (Driven my dad's 2000 Supercab Sport). I prefer the squirrell-like nimbleness and turning radius os my Ranger. Still, too damn expensive it seems. And not as good gas mileage as I get now (Averaging 22 at 130k miles, had around 27 when I got the truck at 40k).

3) The For Ranger. The serious Ford contender I am looking at. Newer models have more room than my 94, but I still would buy a Supercab to give me the interior space. But a 2wd supercab looks even wimpier than the Sport Trac! Lets face it, we all like our newer Ford vehicles for their aggressive looks as much as their capabilities. And a 2wd supercab just looks something my Grandpa would drive to go fishing. No offense to anyone here.

And the 4wd Ranger is out of my budget. Not to mention if I to get a 4wd, I can't get a 4 cyl. I really would prefer the 4 cyl as the mileage is (slightly) better, and to me they just seem easier to piddle with myself if I do have problems.

4) The Tacoma. Being a HUGE fan of the FJ40 and other LandCruisers, I figured I owed it to Toyota to see how their nmodern trucks have come along. The Prerunner line really has the aggressive stance I want, without having to pony up the cash for 4wd. Ignoring the X-plan for now, I can get an Xtra cab Prerunner 4 cyl for just about the price I can get a Ranger Supercab 3.0 ( MSRP 21,500 loaded versus 21,700 loaded). I really like the Xtra cab configuration with the foldable bench seating. Having ridden b**** in both, I definately prefer the Taco to the Ranger's jump seats. Plus, I am able to get the Xtra cab (and even 4wd if I cared to) with a 4 cyl engine. The interior in the Tacoma looks nicer to me, although I am not a big fan of the amber stereo display (minor flaw).

But I really hate the fact that my Family, myself included, are diehard Ford fans and that I may have a Crimson Toyota sitting in the driveway.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations?

Last edited by User 050423; 03-22-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:43 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as small trucks go, I don't think you can beat Toyota. They're definitely durable and long-lasting. Incredible little trucks.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:16 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
HOnestly, as much as I would never part with my Ranger, I quite dislike that factoid that you can not get a 2.3L in a SuperCab anymore. I thought that was the worst thing ever in a truck, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how it does if I am shifting into the sweet spots it has (there are a few, honest).

The 3.0L has pinging issues, idle issues, and the new 4.0L is a pain to work with, I feel. Maybe the 3.0L will be gone and the 2.3L will take its place sooner than later. I ain't a v6 fan as it is, but for the right rig, I would take one.

IF you could find a 4.6L F-150, it would do fine in reg cab base model form, for the right price, of course. If the engines still are 2/3's under the cowel, forget it.

2.7L 4wd Taco with manual shifters/hubs would be great. If the Frontiers were't so crummy looking now, that would be competition in my mind. You keep Americans employed that aren't going to lose their jobs inevitably. What a great guy.

Sport Trac....I like the idea, but from reading Four Wheeler or whatever it was on the boat last week, only drivetrain is 4.0L (ewwww) and 5-speed slushbox (ewwww). Nevermind.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:10 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Honestly, if you are going 2WD I would get the Tacoma. That way you can get the Prerunner which still looks nice, and the gas mileage on the 4-cylinder is great, plus you'll have a rear-locker in case you want to travel off-road a bit, and you're resale value will be MUCH higher. The Ranger is awesome in 4WD trim, but if I had to pick a 2WD (which I wish I had sometimes) I'd go for the Tacoma Pre-runner.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:14 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
Originally posted by WXboy
Honestly, if you are going 2WD I would get the Tacoma. That way you can get the Prerunner which still looks nice, and the gas mileage on the 4-cylinder is great, plus you'll have a rear-locker in case you want to travel off-road a bit, and you're resale value will be MUCH higher. The Ranger is awesome in 4WD trim, but if I had to pick a 2WD (which I wish I had sometimes) I'd go for the Tacoma Pre-runner.
So the Prerunner comes with a locker?

I figured I could get Lim Slip as an option, but the locker would be AWESOME

EDIT: Just check and yes, the prerunners and 4x4 come with rear lockers!

w00t!

Last edited by User 050423; 03-23-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:54 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
I just wish Ford had a Ranger with comparable options

Old 03-23-2004, 07:48 PM
momalle1
Senior User
I find it amusing when people talk about Japanese quality. In the northeast, I see 20+ year old Fords and Chevrolets every day, but not even 10+ year old Toyotas and Hondas. Even if they were better, American cars would have to be total junk for me to buy foreign, I'd like my kid and her kids to have jobs when they grow up.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:50 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
I never said the Toyota was higher quality. In fact, my friend bought a 2003 Tacoma and she makes fun of my 2003 Ranger...but her Tacoma has already failed to start on her with electrical issues and mine is running strong. All I said was...based on features I would go for the Tacoma if I was trying to decide.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:58 PM
vman
Elder User
Those toyotas are built here, maybe thats why they have issues now.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:22 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
Originally posted by momalle1
I find it amusing when people talk about Japanese quality. In the northeast, I see 20+ year old Fords and Chevrolets every day, but not even 10+ year old Toyotas and Hondas. Even if they were better, American cars would have to be total junk for me to buy foreign, I'd like my kid and her kids to have jobs when they grow up.
Well, honestly patriotism has NO affect on me on deciding which vehicle (or anything else) to buy. And if you examine things, we may be better off letting Americans buy foreign cars. Why waste our time and money overpaying US workers to build a car that the Asians could build more efficiently, ceteris parabis. We could be utilizing our Americans in a more productive fashion then plan laboring over building cars. It's pretty basic economics. I just prefer Ford because it usually beats the competitiors at similar products, not because they roll of the plants in Dearborn, Kentucky, Ohio, or wherever. But enough of this political economic theory; let's talk trucks.

Back to the question at hand. On paper the Tacoma much better suits my tastes and options in my future vehicle. I guess I just need to spend the time behind the wheel of one.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:51 PM
momalle1
Senior User
Originally posted by vman
Those toyotas are built here, maybe thats why they have issues now.
fordlariat did.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:57 PM
momalle1
Senior User
Originally posted by Cards81fan
Well, honestly patriotism has NO affect on me on deciding which vehicle (or anything else) to buy. And if you examine things, we may be better off letting Americans buy foreign cars. Why waste our time and money overpaying US workers to build a car that the Asians could build more efficiently, ceteris parabis. We could be utilizing our Americans in a more productive fashion then plan laboring over building cars. It's pretty basic economics. I just prefer Ford because it usually beats the competitiors at similar products, not because they roll of the plants in Dearborn, Kentucky, Ohio, or wherever. But enough of this political economic theory; let's talk trucks.

Back to the question at hand. On paper the Tacoma much better suits my tastes and options in my future vehicle. I guess I just need to spend the time behind the wheel of one.
I never mentioned patriotism, and I like getting paid well to do my job, I don't see why I shouldn't pay someone else properly to do theirs. Perhaps if your job, or your children's job were sent over seas, you might feel different.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
FWIW, I continuted the economic debate here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=221452

Anyone else have opinions on said trucks?

Old 03-24-2004, 12:35 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by momalle1
fordlariat did.
I did what?

Old 03-24-2004, 04:07 AM
momalle1
Senior User
Originally posted by FordLariat
I did what?
As far as small trucks go, I don't think you can beat Toyota. They're definitely durable and long-lasting. Incredible little trucks.

Did I misunderstand you?

Quick Reply: Considering the Tayota Tacoma