1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1957-60 Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:39 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1957-60 Door Panels

Hello again. I've seen a few '57-'60 Ford trucks with upholstered door panels, and I was wondering where they were available. If possible, and maybe even more importantly, I would like to know if kick panels are available as well.

Old 03-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey -

I think the door panels were an option. One that I don't see many trucks with. Mine didn't come with panels, but my '58 parts truck does have them. I am using them as a pattern to cut new boards with. If your search comes up empty-handed, maybe I can cut a pair for you....we'll handle that later tho'.

I will look at the condition of my kickpanels too. I have those as well for pattern work. Remember, I'm in school for restoration, so I'm all about coming up with things that don't exist!

Old 03-20-2004, 06:05 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Cool. Do the kick panels have a hole for the vent? Would it be easy to make one with no hole? The vent on the right side was rusted far too badly to repair, so we're covering it up. Blasted mouse nests. That's the reason kick panels would be really nice ... the right side looks pretty ugly.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Yeah, the kick panel has a hole in it, but it would be simple to just not cut that hole out! It's too bad you're covering the vent up. It's really nice on a hot summer evening, to open and get air rushing in there along with the vent wings to really kool things off!

Old 03-20-2004, 06:21 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Yeah, I know, it's a shame. But ... take a look at this (http://www.fortestar.com/images/truck/IM001192-sm.JPG) and tell me if you think that vent was salvageable.

At any rate, it's the passenger's side. It's not my problem.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
That's where a parts truck comes in handy! I was about to get rid of mine this week, until I realized all the sheet metal I need from it. It's cab corners are perfect! My right vent is hosed too, but not like that. It's just rusted out, and the directional thing won't stand up in it. I'm going to cut all of that out of my parts truck too, and weld it up in mine.

How is your bed? I mean on the truck!

Old 03-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Glackowitz
Senior User
Kooper-

That truck is looking good as from what I have seen in the gallery, looks like you started with more holes than metal, the vent is not a happy camper, I have seen several companies that have interior kits for the 57-60 trucks, I am looking at a kit for my truck, I am away from my home computer to get the link but will post it when i get home

Glack

Old 03-20-2004, 07:05 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Originally posted by Sixoh
How is your bed? I mean on the truck!
Lol. Actually, the bed is pretty good. It has a few tiny rust holes in the bed itself; we're just going to POR-15 them. The right back corner has been cut out and partially replaced with flat sheet metal (by the previous owner, a real shoddy job). We're going to take out what he messed up, and I think we can carefully fabricate what we need to put it back together. Also, the lower panel (the one with the contour in it for the license plate) is rusted. It'll probably have to be replaced .. we're not sure what we're going to do with that yet. The tailgate is on the bed, too. It's pretty straight and might have just a few rust pinholes, but I think that's it. Compared to the cab, the bed is pretty darn good.

Originally posted by Glackowitz
I have seen several companies that have interior kits for the 57-60 trucks, I am looking at a kit for my truck, I am away from my home computer to get the link but will post it when i get home
Alright, cool. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Glackowitz
Senior User
Kooper- I remembered the company that I am looking at:

www.roddoors.com

Glack

Old 03-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
I've got an original door panel, that follows the bottom contour of the bullet-shape in the door skin. Then below that, there another recess in the door that would allow another panel to be trimmed out in matching carpeting that's used in the cab.

I like that design better than slathering a finish over the entire door like those offered by Rod Doors. IMO.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
57-58's had a cardboard door panel like sixoh describes that I believe came with the custom-cab package. 59-60's did not from the factory. I think DS59F100 has some pics of his roddoors kit he installed on his 59. -4speed

Old 03-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Skates
New User
Thanks for the info on Roddoors.com. I have been searching a long time for a company that makes those panels. Just a another touch to an old truck.

Skates

Old 03-24-2004, 10:25 PM
60'BigBlue
Senior User
wow i like those roddoors.com panels but cha-ching there a bit pricy i think id rather learn to sow before ill be able to dig my pockets that deep