1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 transmission help-starts in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:39 PM
F2fan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
51 transmission help-starts in gear

Hello all. Just got engine installed after swapping out with a running replacement. On start up (driveshaft disconnected) the transmission is already in gear, can't shift while running. Opened cover plate above stick and can observe throw out bearing moving about as far as it can go, pressur eplate fingers, but disc is far back towards flywheel. Seems to be engaged and won't release. Any help/clues appreciated. 226 flathead

Old 03-20-2004, 09:51 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
You may have to remove the tranny and clutch plate to pry the clutch disc of the flywheel. Sounds like the disc rusted to the flywheel. You may have to get the flywheel turned to remove the rust.

Old 03-20-2004, 03:48 PM
F2fan
Freshman User
Thanks, removed trans today and pressure plate. Some slight rust, but it looks to me that the pressur eplate is too thick or the fingers not long or deep enough to ever reach the plate. The disc has 2 sides. one raised. With the raised side in the plate it still seems way to far from the fingers. The throw out bearing will only move a 1-2 inches and the fingers come no where near touching disc. What do you think?

Old 03-20-2004, 06:16 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you have a shop manual? Maybe the clutch plate needs to be adjusted. I think it says how in the shop manual. Does the throw out bearing reach the fingers? You may have the wrong clutch for the engine. I wonder if flathead one is different? I saw your post on the MSN Flathead Board.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:19 PM
F2fan
Freshman User
Thanks. I have a manual and have going by the book. Throw out bearing reaches finger and pushes them but doesn't reach disc. I should try and retrieve original pressure plate or get a new one?

Old 03-20-2004, 09:12 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to get a new disc and pressure plate if you can. Also clean all the rust off the flywheel. Make sure you have the disc facing right direction. Also replace t. o. bearing if you can afford it. If the flywheel is all checked or small spider type cracks, get it turned. Do it while it's apart to avoid headaches later.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 03-20-2004, 09:45 PM
F2fan
Freshman User
hanks Barry. Am looking into new plate and disc now. The to bearing doesn't appear bad, how to tell. The disc direction-one side is raised and the other not. Raised side fits into plate, correct?

Old 03-21-2004, 07:59 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, raised side to pressure plate. Take the T.O. bearing and put your finger thru the center and spin the bearing. If you hear any type of noise or rattling, replace it. If it seems loose, replace. Make sure you put some lube on the collar on the tranny for the bearing and some on the splined front input shaft so nothing will rust up and stick.

Barry

Old 03-21-2004, 10:51 AM
52F2
Freshman User
The fingers won't reach the disc. They only release the steel plate in pressure plate to allow disc to move a little. In other word the pressure plate sandwiches the disc between it and the flywheel and when you push in on throw out bearing it moves the steel plate in pressure plate enough to release that pressure to allow disc to slip between the flywheel and pressure plate while changing gears.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:55 AM
F2fan
Freshman User
hanks for correcting me, I had the concept backwards but the results are the same, no disc freeplay, therefore the space between plate and flywheel is to tight? I conclude 2 possibilities or both, surfaces need cleaning or pressure plate is out of spec. Well I'm looking to replace the pressure plate rather than risk reassembly and teardown again, and there was a little surface rust on the flywheel. Thanks!