1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint scheme

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 05:55 AM
scrape
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paint scheme

hi guys, has any one got or does anyone know of where i may get access to, what ford offered in 1960 for paint schemes on the various models. i beleive we only got single colours down here with our own style rear bed. perhaps a book highlighting these years may show the options, any thoughts?...cya..gary

Old 03-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that autocolorlibrary.com shows all the original paint "colours" for everything.

As far as I know, these trucks only came in solid or Custom Cab two-tone.

I have a '60, which originally was a solid Goldenrod Yellow. If I go back to that color, I may do it all, but add the white top to it, to tone it down some. What does your bed look like??? You said it's different.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:38 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a paint chip chart for the 1960 models. Your truck does look(at least the cab and front end) like my 1960? I'll try and get the scan of the paint chips tonight. -4speed

Old 03-20-2004, 04:26 AM
scrape
Senior User
aussie styling

hi guys, my 60 is actually a californian import, plain white all over with a redish/maroon interior, custom cab ( looking for a big back window section )with style side back short wheel base. The aussie version is very similar with the exception being the tub and steering wheel possie, for some reason they built there own tub that was plain sided with a double body line that ran around the top of the body (much like the jail bar had on the doors of the later version ), although most i have seen only had flat trays fitted. cya..gary

Old 03-20-2004, 04:30 AM
scrape
Senior User
sixoh, i tried the autocolourlibrary.com but no luck the site did'nt show, i tried google aswell, any ideas? do i need to go through another site?.gary

Old 03-20-2004, 09:35 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
scrape, click this it may take a long time to load, but thats all of the factory colors for 1960. -4speed

Old 03-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Hi Gary,

Two-tone paint schemes were an option on Custom Cabs here in the U.S.
They consisted of any one of the solid factory colors, combined with corinthian white (for 1960). The paint scheme (paint lines) were done just like mr4speeds truck.

There were also "Special" paint jobs done at the factory (paint code "S"), which were applied to some fleet and special order vehicles.

I would love to see some pictures of that unique Austrailian bed if you have any.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Gary -

Hey, I noticed you typed "autocolourlibrary". Try it without the "u" in color and you should get through to it. It's an awesome site for reference!

Kenny -

You mentioned a paint code of "S" for special. Do you have any pictures, or know where I could see some of these paint schemes? I didn't know that existed, and I'm interested!

Also, as a side for you - my signature is still listed in my profile, but it doesn't appear when I post to a thread?

Old 03-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

I don't have any pictures, but they were just special colors provided by the customer (other than the available factory colors), usually to match the rest of their fleet.

For example, the U.S. Forest service would order their trucks with a special green used by them.

A trucking company might have their trucks painted a special "yellow" to match their tractors.

Since these weren't factory colors, Ford used the paint code "S" which stands for "Special".

Seems that all signatures have been disabled..............
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=219271

Old 03-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Oh okay, that's interesting. I always thought businesses just had thier vehicles painted to match the company. I didn't realize that trucks could be ordered that way! That's more interesting history stuff!

Old 03-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Actually, they did that too.
If a company wanted to have a shop do their company paint scheme, The truck could be ordered from the factory in just primer (paint code "P").

This part is purely speculation, but............
I'm pretty sure the factory would have only applied a solid "special" color, or maybe even a two-tone made up from one "special" solid color, and white.

For more intricate designs, you probably had to order the truck in primer.

Last edited by Kenny; 03-21-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:29 AM
scrape
Senior User
hi guys, thanks 4 the paint colours, i'll try spelling the other site differently and see how i go. kenny in regards to the "s" code schemes, the book u mentioned u were trying to have republished, that should show some examples , should'nt it ?. on another note, did anyone notice the 57 being built by Steves auto Restorations in the april issue of "truck builder"on page 8?, this seems to be the best proportioned 57 i have ever seen...cya gary