Bully Dog Propane Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 09:40 AM
JMorton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog Propane Kit

Is anyone familiar with the Bully dog kits?? I got part of a friends kit today (the main valve) and will get the tank and lines next week. I looked on their website and downloaded some install instructions but they are different than this valve. My buddy told me there wasn't any lines going to the MAP sensor or the heater like in the Bully Dog instructions. He said the valve senses boost from the amout of intake air going into the turbo. Does this sound right?? The valve looks simple, one inlet, one outlet, and two wires on the solenoid, one from the toggle switch and the other to ground. Can this kit realy be this easy to install or do you think it's missing some parts??

Old 03-12-2004, 10:02 AM
powershotone
Junior User
Sounds like you might be missing a few parts.
The Powershot uses boost pressure to regulate and control the regulator and picks it up from the MAP sensor.
The BD kit, taps into the intake to pickup air flow which is what opens and closes their particular regulator. They have made some changes to them and they now also route thru the heater hoses, so the best bet is to call Bully Dog so you get it done the right and safe way.

Old 03-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
A wise man once told me: "With propane, there are no little mistakes." I'd find out what needs to be done to do it right.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:53 AM
JMorton
Senior User
I just e-mailed Bully Dog. My valve looks different than the one they show on the website. I'm going to go ahead and install the valve and tank and wait to fill it until I hear from them. Seems like there should be something that attaches into the MAP line. How do you plumb the vapor line into the intake?? Just cut a hole and let it lay in there? Is there a special fitting that seals it to keep dust and debris from entering around the hose? The instructions aren't that clear. My valve just has a hose coming from the outlet.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
When I installed the orifice into my intake, I drilled and tapped a NPT fitting into the elbow between the two silicone boots. Then, I threaded the supply line into the hole I'd made.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:28 AM
JMorton
Senior User
Glad I waited. Just got off the phone with Bully Dog and the system does require the pressure switch. He said it doesn't go into the MAP line but into the intercooler pipe. Can I install it in the MAP line?? Good news is that the switch I need is only about $15!! Hopefully have this up and running soon!!

Old 03-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Oklahoma
Senior User
I am going this way pretty soon too. I am going with the fitting similiar to Quadzilla's. Should be airtight.

I saw this for an IDI engine. Don't know if it really matters because of the volume of air flow in DI?
You can make a dispersment tube aid by taking an old piece of copper tubing a few inches long, squashing one end and drilling some holes in it about 3/4 or so of tubing length. This goes into your intake hose.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I don't profess to know anything about the Bully Dog system, but I'm a little confused...
At one point, you said:
Seems like there should be something that attaches into the MAP line.
Then you said:
How do you plumb the vapor line into the intake??
I was OK up to this point, thinking we were talking about two different lines, the sensor line and the supply line. Then, Bully Dog said:
He said it doesn't go into the MAP line but into the intercooler pipe. Can I install it in the MAP line??
I think we're back to the sensor line, the one that tells the system when to activate. However, the intercooler pipe might also be where the supply line would go.
Of course, it's not nearly as important that I understand it as that you do, but is this confusing to anyone else, or am I having a Norwegian moment?

Old 03-15-2004, 02:36 PM
JMorton
Senior User
I thought the boost sensor went into the MAP line, Bully Dog told me to put it into the cold side intercooler pipe.

The vapor hose from the regulator. You installed yours into the aluminum housing on the drivers valve cover in the intake air stream, upstream from the turbo. Bully Dog said to install it no more than 3 inches in front of the turbo so I'll have to install it into the plastic air intake hose between the air filter and the turbo.
Sounds like we're both on the same page.