1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie w/questions and needed advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Sperry
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie w/questions and needed advice

Hey everyone, newbie here who is in need of some advise. I would really like to an 48-56 F1/F100 by the end of May. I'm looking for this truck to be a daiy driver except when it is snowing. Engine and transmission aren't a bid deal although I'd prefer a stick butthe biggest obstacle I see is that I must buy the truck in daily driver condition as I will not have time to do alot of work on it right away. I've had a 68 mustang coupe w/a 351c and a c6 so I've worked on classics before. I'm curretly driving a 94 gt but wil be selling it in april/may for insurance reasons. I have been in love with these trucks for some time and really want to pull one off for daily driver. I live in RI and fully support myself so $ isn't hugely abundant but make enough to maintainand slowy improve the truck. Any advice anybody has would be greatly appreciated, especially concerning what to look for when checking these trucks out. All comments are appreciated.
Sperry

Last edited by Sperry; 03-07-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You are looking at at least 4000 for a daily driver and that will not be customized. I have a friend that has several trucks in good condition in your area. I will contact him and see if he has anything and what price range. Ed

Old 03-07-2004, 09:23 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Sperry

Have you ever driven a stocker? If you are going daily driver, before you buy make sure you are OK with the engine screaming at highway speeds, very firm low speed steering and bumpsteer. And if you don't like all those things, heck buy it anyway. You'll look cool and we can help you fix it later.

I'd find one partially rebuilt if this is going to be your only transportation. I can't imagine restoring one of these if it has to be back on the road every Monday morning.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Sperry
New User
I've driven alot of old cars but not an f100 but none of those characteritics bother me. Are there any specialy things to look for on these truck when checking them out, like on mustangs rotted cowls are a big problem. Once again all your advice is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm looking to spend between 5000-7000 tops for a really good truck.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:47 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Sperry, I don't have personal experience with 53-6's, but '48-'52s have:
1. a deep pocket under the stock gas tank that collects dirt and moisture - common rust out at back of cab below box.
2. the second front cab mount is another collecting point for dirt/moisture - the one where the bolt is inside the cab - this can rot out along with the floorboard
3. front fenders almost all rot where the lower front panel bolts to the upper fender.
4. 48-50 you'll probably find rot below the grill on those 'swoopy' flat areas where they bolt to the lower valance panel.
5. all of them rot out where the fenders (front and rear) attach to the running boards.

Good news is none of these affect driveability - even cab mounts, cause the pedals attach to the frame. But if you're paying that much for a daily driver these should have been addressed when the truck was rebuilt.

More good news is there is enough steel that you can cut and patch easily - compared to that '68 'stang for instance. Sounds like you're familiar with the limitations of daily use. I run my 48 as a daily driver even thru winter - and they are great trucks to run around in. Vac wiper, heater, etc are marginal at best. I strongly recommend LT radial tires in a stock configuration for best handling. I run LT215/85/16 that are 10 ply rated.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:44 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Assuming it runs and drives decent, a solid cab would be my number one criteria hands down. It's about the only part that isn't available in new steel. And the time to repair or change it is very considerable. The entire lower portion of the cab is the first place to look. Don't get too worried about a single bad fender, tailgate etc. Repro parts are readily available.

And unless you see proof of a proper engine rebuild in the last decade or so, count on doing that someday soon and figure that into the price. Figure in some fix up money in any event. You're going to shake out the bugs real quick when you start daily driving a 50 year old truck.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Sperry
New User
My biggest requirment will that the truck needs no body work or paint (unless that can be totalled in with my initial investment. The only immediate plans I would have after that would be some suspension work (i.e. sway bars, shocks, leaf springs, and probably the toyota steering box b/c from whatI've seen on here most people like it alot) and some interior workbecause i defenitey want buckets and a center console. But keep the advice coming everyone has been very helpful.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:38 PM
55FordLover
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Information you can use...

hey man,

checkout (www.ebaymotors.com) they have these trucks on there for sale like almost everyday...the daily driver that is still restorable will cost you like 4,500 but it will be worth it in the end when you drive it everyday...good luck and good bidding...

James

Old 03-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a '60 F100 that is my daily driver. I've gotten used to the bump steer, and "firm" steering. It's no biggie, you'll get over it. I'm doing things to her as I go - this weekend, she'll be down for the "lowerin' of the Daisy" and general suspension rebuild.

Also, I'm about to fab up a new gas tank and stick it out back. The smell of gas in the cab, the sloshing around while driving, and the constant fear of a side impact turning me into "Shane Flambe' " is my motivation to make this move from stock!

I spent a whopping $1500 on mine! But then, I have a whole restoration facility at my fingertips! I like saying that!