1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Volare IFS.....best shocks +

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 03:07 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volare IFS.....best shocks +

I have a Volare under my 55 panel; don't know exactly which year, but I believe it's a 78 Volare.
I have installed the drop spindles from Fatman; the truck sits "medium" height off ground. I have a 390/c6.

In spite trying to do it right, with the drop spindles, it still has a mushy ride. I know the heavy 390 doesn''t help. I bought some Monroe gas shocks a few years, but not many miles ago.

Is there a really good shock (or anything else reasonable) which I can install to stiffen up the front end?

Thanks, Paul

Old 03-07-2004, 05:47 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Volare IFS.....best shocks +

Is there a really good shock (or anything else reasonable) which I can install to stiffen up the front end?

Thanks, Paul [/B][/QUOTE]

Paul,

I really haven't gotten far enough along on my truck to worry too much about shocks yet, however, I think the mushy (I like to call it cushy) ride is pretty much normal for one of these suspensions. I was thinking when it came time for shocks I would look into some kind of adjustable shock if such a thing exists for these front ends. My engine will be at a least a hundred pounds lighter than your 390, so that might help me some. I would also be interested in what others have used for shocks on these beasts. I do want a nice soft ride, but not mushy soft...

Old 03-07-2004, 08:55 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Paul

The panel truck-big block combo is going to make this a tough one. More T-bar pre-load is going to be the most effective option if you can get there without putting it too high. T-bar pre-load makes a big difference in ride stiffness.

Other options might be to look in the shock buyers guide section at the parts store. That's how I chose my rear shocks. You may be able to find a bigger bore shock with the same mounts and travel, but it would surprise me. You might check the mid 70s big block Mopars for fitment.

Not optimistic about this one either, but you might be able to find a coil over spring for the front shocks.

Finally, are you willing to buy heavier torsion bars? I think there is a manufacturers link in the Cordoba IFS threads.

I am running Gabriels Ryder Gas shocks on your old F100. They work pretty well but I bet you got at least 300 pounds more on the front wheels. Monroe Gas shocks are fairly stiff so I doubt any standard Volare shocks are going to help.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Thanks, Dewayne. My son rebuilt a 390 for me, so that's why we put it in. If it wasn't for this sentimental attachment, I would prefer probably a 5.0.
I'll check around some; the spring/over sounds like the best bet, so I'll just practice my Googletations and start a search!

Paul

Old 05-04-2004, 10:18 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods

Thanks, Paul [/B]
After doing some research on front shocks for my Chrysler T-bar suspended F-3, I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing really heavy duty available for these suspensions. I was hoping to find an adjustable shock, or a HD application for either police or taxi use as many of these old Mopars were, but that did not pan out. I bought a pair of standard Gabriel shocks off Ebay for $19.90 including shipping and handling yesterday. The price seem pretty good compared to $44 each for a pair of Monroes at my local VIP store. If anyone is looking for a similar deal for their Chrysler T-bar email me and I'll let you know where I got mine. The supplier has these shocks at this price on a regular basis...

Vern

Old 05-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the topic of changing out torsion bars, is it just a matter of measuring the diameter of the bar? Is that how you can determine its stiffness characteristics? My IFS is out of a 78 Dodge Aspen. It rides very firm. I thought the extrafirmidity was due to the big tires and the fact that I have the IFS adjusted almost all the way to the top. Maybe there is hope for a softer ride with smaller torsion bars. Thanks, John

Old 05-04-2004, 04:43 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
On the topic of changing out torsion bars, is it just a matter of measuring the diameter of the bar? Is that how you can determine its stiffness characteristics? My IFS is out of a 78 Dodge Aspen. It rides very firm. I thought the extrafirmidity was due to the big tires and the fact that I have the IFS adjusted almost all the way to the top. Maybe there is hope for a softer ride with smaller torsion bars. Thanks, John
John,

"Extrafirmidity?" Nice! You are the first person I have heard describe their torsion bar suspension as anything other than mushy. I don't know the answer for sure, but it makes sense that a fatter torsion bar would ride stiffer than a thinner one. That's certainly true for stabilizer bars. I had no idea that there were differing thicknesses, but I guess there could be enough weight difference in say a Grand Fury or 5th Avenue versus an Aspen or Volare to warrant a difference in torsion bar diameter. However, weren't the Aspen and Volare lighter vehicles than either of the others? It seems that you would have the smaller diameter bars instead of the larger...

Vern

Old 05-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This post was the first mention of the idea of different sizes of torsion bars I have heard of. Wow, technology, what a concept. Previously, I saw some posts that skirted the concept of ride comfort for volare-type IFS. Dewayne was the most direct with his statement saying something close to " by adjusting the torsion bars to their upper limits, it will cause a firm ride." Well, since I take everything that fenders says as gospel, I thought that was the end of the story. But now, there is dim light of hope on the horizon. Any other comments would be appreciated as I am pretty new to these Mopar front ends. Thanks, John

Old 05-04-2004, 06:45 PM
53Merc
Elder User
Wink

Excellent Discussion Thread Fellas

I have the "nominal" Volare Clip under my '53 Mercury and although it's running, I haven't got it "out on the road" so to speak yet to give it it's legs except around the block a couple of times.

Too concerned about the local constabulary pulling me over for no licence, no glass, and no doors!

I hope to be driving this summer and want a comfortable but not sloppy ride.

GW

Old 05-04-2004, 07:20 PM
oldfordtrucker
Junior User
I have a Volare suspension in my 55 f100. I am happy with all aspects of the ride and handling. I am not all that interested in super road handling or "cornering" ability. I just wanted a lower truck, better brakes and power steering. The engine is a 351 Windsor with AOD trans and also have A/C. The weight of this setup does not seem to be a problem. I have never understood how adjusting the height would alter the stiffness, but a lot of people seem to believe it does. I would think that adjusting the suspension to either very high or low would put the geometery outside the normal ride parameters which may cause the "stiffness". I was under the impression that the Aspen/Volare torsion bars were unique and not interchangeable with other Chrysler lines. Some people have used station wagon torsion bars thinking they may be stiffer.
Has anyone thought about replacing the Volare steering box with a rear steer power steering rack?

Old 05-04-2004, 09:45 PM
53Merc
Elder User
Question

Guys, I have a question about the mounting brackets along the Torsion Bars...

The bushings in mine are lose....Do I need to replace 'em? How much are they?

Gerry

Old 05-04-2004, 10:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 53Merc
Guys, I have a question about the mounting brackets along the Torsion Bars...

The bushings in mine are lose....Do I need to replace 'em? How much are they?

Gerry
I would. Your alignment will be far more accurate if the t-bars sit still. The end bushings are available from Moog and McQuay Norris (Autozone last I looked) Moogs were like $160 a pair. Autozone was cheaper but it was too late.

Chrysler sells the pivot bushings under the radiator area. Tell them it is a late 80s New Yorker or Park Ave and they'll have a listing.

oldfordtrucker

Putting more preload on your t-bars affects your springocity quotient. Tighten them up and then have your old lady sit on the hood. See, the truck don't sink quite as low. I can't explain it. I'm pretty sure it's t-bar magic.

Seriously though, your spring rate is probably not effected all that much if you are near the intended preload area. But most of these guys are trying to get scrapin' low with inadequate preload. Turning up the preload a bit makes quite a noticable bit of difference. I'm sure of that. But all your really doing is putting them closer to factory specs.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:27 PM
53Merc
Elder User
Wink

Thanks fenders

Gerry

Old 05-05-2004, 10:28 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
by turning the screw on the T-bars, you are preloading the springs. The tighter they are, the stiffer (and ride heidth higher). Like Fenders said, most here complain about it being mushy when you lower the ride heidth. It is because you have less preload on the T-bars.
Chrysler had different sized sway bars for Volare'/Aspen than they did for wagons and cop cars. You might want to experiment with bigger sway bars to see if that helps.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Hell_Fish
Senior User
As truckfarmer pointed out, there are different size torsion bars. The larger the bar, the more "spring" it will have. Since you may plan to lower the front, invest in larger bars. Don't try to correct your issues with springs, I you will do is wear them out. On my 65 Barracuda, Im running a .89 set of bars these were for big blocks in a 3000lbs car. Im not sure of the sizes in the Volares. If Diplomates are the same body style(F,J, or M-body), try a set from a cop car. If the Volare came with a slant 6, it is the smallest T-bars you can find. At least upgrade to a set from either a 318 or 360 car.

Quick Reply: Volare IFS.....best shocks +