1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What to do ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 04:13 PM
ROLLTIDE93
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do ???

Hello guys and gals. I'm new to this site and I have a 1954 F-100
that my grandpa gave me about 10 years ago and I don't know what direction to go with on this. The truck is pretty much stock except for the 312 police int. with 3-2bbl set-up we put in it. I can't decide if I want to restore original or go custom. If I go custom I'm talkin' chop-n-shave. Does anyone have any suggestions on this. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Don't go over to the dark side. It will warp your mind. Stay stock. Of course that will warp your mind too....

Seriously, it's your truck do what will make you happy. If you post pictures, everyone on the forum will love you.

It also depends on your experience level. With stock you don't have to figure quite as much out. (Of course those dark siders have done about everything and will gladly explain how to do it.)

I think it is really a personal decision. The most important thing is having more of these beauties on the road. (Hey, anyone that actually has one running want to comment )

Joe

Old 03-05-2004, 05:07 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right off the bat I would advise that you not worry too much about what these "stockers" might say. If my grampa gave me the truck you have and he put 3 deuces on it... well, they'd sure be on there for me. I am struggling with my own 3 deuce setup... for my grandkids ultimately. I've gotten rid of those unnecessary badges and emblems and might just put a chop on it one day. I've got Ansen five spokes on it and don't care if it ever steers like a car. I'm gonna do the front tilt hood one day... and maybe to be onery, find some '53 Buick headlights. Still plan on hauling dirt and lumber in it.

Oh. And if you ask for opinions around here.... you're gonna get them.

best. himmelberg

Old 03-07-2004, 09:17 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
"Oh and if you ask for opinions around here...you're gonna get them"

Ah yes and isn't that what makes this such great forum?

My 51 is taking shape in what I believe is considered a "resto-modded" situation. I'm upgrading those things that can be done "bolt-on" or with minimal modification to the original structure. The idea being that if I ever wanted to I could go back bone stock. The foolish side of that is once you move to newer and more modern components (like brakes) you likely won't ever go back (from the dark to the light as it were).

I'm a poor guy to give an opinion - my 51 will keep the straight axle but have power disk brakes, will have an old Edmunds 2X2 manifold on the original flathead V-8 (I'm a sucker for the way they sound...it's a sickness) with a pair of Ford / Holley ECGs. The dizzy is a C***y unit with a Mopar mag pickup in it running an HEI module (just to see if I could I guess) and I'm looking at installing a Merc 3 speed OD transmission. Iron heads as yet as I can't afford the pretty aluminum pieces just yet. I'm in the middle of installing a new aftermarket wiring harness. Struggling with whether I want to leave the gas tank in stock location, move to rear or install "saddle" tanks on both sides. Body is bone stock at this time. Runs on steelies with caps and rings. This all works for me and makes me happy. Also, this approach fits my skill level (at least what I think I can learn) as it's important to me to do the majority of the work on this project. This path also allows me to spread the cost out as time is not a big deal. Budget, skills and time frame are all important considerations that may help guide your decisions.

Bottom line - it's your truck and keeping it on the road is to me the biggest thing. "Fix" it however you like it but keep the piece of Ford history out there running around for others (especially the "kids" i.e. anyone younger than me) to enjoy!

Sorry for the long rambling message!!!

OilLeaks

Old 03-07-2004, 10:12 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's your truck to do with as you want. No one can make that decision but you. My truck will be a "resto" or rat rod...haven't decided for sure yet...but probably a resto-rod. I like the stock look of these old trucks...without chopped tops, suicide doors, shaved handles, etc., so mine will look basically stock on the outside. However, I could never live with a truck that rides and handles like a buckboard, so I'm changing the front and rear suspension to soften the ride and adding disc brakes and power steering by using a Volare suspension to improve the handling. Whatever way you decide to go, this is the place to get information on how to do it. These guys will help you on almost any subject.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:41 PM
chromedaddyo
Junior User
Opinion time.

Beware of the slant post chop. I have seen too many that slant rearward! even done by pros. How about a clean shave and suspension drop? 312 w dueces " Yeah baby! Gotta have Smitty's mufflers on that one! ( I think I am showing my age)

Dave

Old 03-08-2004, 12:11 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was new here, and was deciding what to do with my truck, I looked at all of the galleries. I saw many trucks I liked, and thats what made my decision for me. This is my first ever build, so I first started dialing in my engine. I got many ideas just reading the forums, and looking around. Im now knee deep into a Volare suspension, 9 inch rear end.
I dont have tons of ca4h either, just saving here and there, but I have an idea of what I want her to look like, until I change my mind again.

Welcome to the board, you found the right place.

have fun!
55forder

Old 03-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Was going to keep it stock as it was in fairly good shape, ended up with a frame off to get rid of some rust. Now it has an 80 Mercury car front clip and will have a 302 with a C4. I kept my orginal frame intact and am restoring the body so it could be put back to orginal but I doubt this will ever happen. Stock is good but I prefer a good driver with better handling that is easier to maintain. It will be all Mercury, just not all stock. (It is a Canadian Mercury pickup).