1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

door handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:51 PM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door handle

Hows everyone doing out there?
Starting to feel like spring finally.
Could anyone tell me how to remove outside door handle on driver side door.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2004, 07:21 PM
8Flat
Senior User
It's been a few years, but I believe there is a large phillips head machine screw that holds the door handle on to my '51. You should be able to see the screw under the door weatherstripping, just inside of the outer lip of the doorskin itself. I'm at work right now, but I'll check tonight when I get home.

Gary

Old 03-04-2004, 07:54 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of these screws are also allen head. I've even seen regular slotted screws in there.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 03-04-2004, 08:18 PM
tlb
Elder User

I removed the screw you are talking about but i could not get handle out. didn't want to force it to much.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:56 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
You may have to wiggle it to get it out.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:49 AM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally posted by 51dueller
You may have to wiggle it to get it out.

all the doors I have delt with have slotted screws on the side of the door, and then wiggle like crazy and lube thoroughly when you reinstall. They will slide out from then on. Ed ke6bnl

Old 03-05-2004, 04:38 AM
tlb
Elder User

Thanks a lot. I will try this method this weekend.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:45 AM
tlb
Elder User

To 8Flat:
My next choice of color would be yellow. Always wanted a yellow car but thought i might get tired of it after a while.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:45 AM
8Flat
Senior User
Yep, turns out I was wrong, it's a slotted screw. And I do remember having to use penetrating oil to get mine out. My pickup had sat outside at my Grandpa's farm for 40 years.

I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to yellow. I cut my door jams in (my own mix of bright yellow) a few years back when I was in my mid 20's, but never painted the whole pickup. Now I'm out of college and have the money to finish the project right, I'm wondering if I would get sick of yellow when I'm 40 or 50years old??? If i'm going to change to red, now is the time because I would only have to re-paint the door jams...

Changing a color on a finished vehicle is a royal pain, so I want to make sure it's right the first time....decisions, decisions....

Old 03-05-2004, 09:50 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Hey there 8flat, welcome to FTE. Be sure and scroll down the list of forums to the regional groups and drop in and say hi to the High Plains Drifters.

I wanted to paint my truck yellow and my sons talked me out of it. I'm 50 and yellow still appeals to me - probably has something to do with the '75 Mach 1 I had that was Mustang Yellow.

On the door handles, tlb, there is just the one large screw (mine are phillips) that is visible in the edge of the door. What happens is the square shank of the handle protrudes thru the latch mechanism and develops burrs that catch when you try to pull it out. You can remove the inside door panel and spray your favorite penetrating oil up into the latch mech.

I think the only set screw with an allen head is the door lock cylinder on the passenger side. It is located under the weatherstripping.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:51 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
What was really fun was trying to get that tiny little allen screw with the tine 3/32 allen wrench to remove the 54 year old set screw for the lock on the right side of my 50 f1. One week later and lots of soaking it finally freed up and came out to get a key for the door. Ed ke6bnl

Old 03-05-2004, 03:55 PM
tlb
Elder User

Thanks for all the info on removing the door handle. Sometimes the simpilists things turn out to be the hardest. There are a couple of yellow trucks running around town here and they do look sharp. Also very visible.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:15 PM
8Flat
Senior User
Ya Terry, I never thought of that, if I paint my F1 yellow I'll be more visible in traffic and have less accidents!! haha

But seriously, I've always like older vehicles in yellow, especially curvy vehicles like ours with fat fenders.....

Your thread illustrates one of the best things about this forum, the huge knowledge base. Even when it comes to little things like door handles.

Gary

Old 03-05-2004, 04:31 PM
tlb
Elder User

You are right 8flat. I hav learned more in a month of using the FTE forum than i could have on my own in a year. Most of these folks have learned the hard way of doing things like this and we should be thankful they are willing to share their solutions to the many problems encountered in owning one of these trucks.

I checked out your photo gallery. Looks like you have a ways to go on your truck but should end up with a great looking ride.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:14 PM
8Flat
Senior User
Yeah, my poor old '51 has a ways to go. My grandpa and I started the resto when I was in college 10 years ago. He bought the pickup new in '51 and only put 40,000 miles on it. I didn't have a lot of money but did buy new glass and some odds and ends. He bought water pumps, brake parts, etc. We took it all the way down to the frame. Unfortunately, he passed away in '96 and I couldn't even touch the pickup after that, it was too weird.

Anyway, I don't want to sound goofy but now I'm ready to finish the project, and have some money to do things right, suspension upgrades, T5 tranny, etc. I'm pretty jacked about it. I'm sort of a technology junkie so am thinking about TBI instead of a carb.

Gary