1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-250 SD vs. Dodge Ram SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2000, 09:12 PM
swoopey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering these two trucks. I am coming from an Acura Legend, so this is a big change. Would be willing to hear advice from all of you as to why I should go one way or the other. Did you look at both, is one more reliable than the other, etc. I like the looks on both. Dodge Ram Quad Cab, 1500 SPORT, 4x4 auto, V-8, all options (leather, CD etc.) OR Ford F-250 SuperDuty super cab (or Crew Cab), V-8, auto, Lariat, etc. Main use will be for light duty stuff, camping etc. Nothing to big or heavy. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-02-2000, 12:26 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the FORD obviously....lol...

Let's compare trucks. The Ford is a HD 3/4 ton truck. It has bigger brakes, springs, HD axles, frame etc. It will have a higher payload over the 1/2 ton Dodge. Both trucks will get about 12-15 mpg in the city. The Ford offers a Crewcab which is really nice. I'd test drive them both, work out costs and think about what you'll be doing with the truck and go from there.

Old 05-02-2000, 11:07 AM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

I agree, I myself dont own either, but I have many friends and my dad owns a superduty, and his co workers and friends drive rams. You didn't say whether the ram was a 2500. If it isn't you are comparing an apple to an orange. I have found that the Superduty is the best truck on the road today. IT rides great, handles well, and is good looking. The 2500 ram is a closer competitior to the Superduty than the 2500 chevy. I would advise you to drive both and see which you like better. They are both excellent trucks.

Evan A.K.A. PastMaster
1993 F-150 302/E40d XLT
1989 F-150 302/Aod 4x4 XLT Lariat

Old 05-02-2000, 12:53 PM
swoopey
New User

Thanks V10man for your input. I realize they are a little different as it relates to heavy duty items. I am mainly basing it on looks so far. They look similar, I don't like the looks of the F-150, otherwise I might consider that 1/2 ton also. I want a smooth ride (as good as a pickup can anyway!!) I need to test ride the F-250 superduty both in the super cab and CrewCab. The Dodge has heated seats, heated mirrors, steering wheel stereo controls, lumbar support, etc. But I think both would be good trucks and perform well for my use.

Old 05-02-2000, 06:09 PM
Roger_B
Senior User

Yep, its a little difficult to compare the 2 trucks. Although I too compared and testdrove both trucks when I was looking.
The SD is a much bigger truck.. Taller, wider, taller, higher, longer, and weighs more..
So, where does this leave you..
The SuperDuty has a bigger capacity, hauling and towing. It has a much bigger interior, and you sit very tall on the road. I believe that Dodge has more 'bells and whistles' available for the interior.. (The F150 has just a more bells and whistles available than the SD).

The Dodge will be a little quicker and a little more agile than the SuperDuty with the V8, although the SuperDuty is no slouch, it does weigh 1000lbs more. You can go with the 4.10LS rear axle in the SD, and it doesn't hurt your MPG at all if you travel <70mph. Remember the stock tires are bigger on the SD so its about the same as a dodge with a 3.73 + smaller tires.
The SD was a little bit more firm with the ride, but not jolting.. I did feel that the Superduty steering was more precise than the Ram which seemed to wonder a bit.

I had a preference towards Ford to begin with, but to me it seemed like I was getting alot more for my money with the SuperDuty.. To those who think 'bigger is better' must have had the SuperDuty in mind..

Also, I recently heard (after I bought the SD) that Dodge is changing the Ram in the near future, which will make the current Ram's seem 'old'.

Y2K F250 XLT SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS

Old 09-16-2001, 09:20 PM
rdl1320
Senior User

Old 12-12-2001, 07:48 PM
scottincincinnati
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Dec-01 AT 08:57&nbsp;PM (EST)]from personal experience. I bought a '99 Ram 1500 5.2 auto in july '99, in Feb. 2000 through Arbitration Chrysler gave me full credit towards the purchase of a new truck. Then came the 2000 Ram 2500 5.9 5spd. , in Dec 2000 I got ,through arbitration, full credit toward DEALER COST on a new 2001 2500 HD slt auto w/4.10's. Oct 8,2001 Chrysler got that truck back and gave me a check for $8,327.32. 3 new Rams in 27 months, grand combined total of 73 days of repair including (combined) 6 trannys, 2 TC's,4 OD's, 1 complete front end,1 headlight switch(fire), 6 attempts to fix engine ping,3 PS pumps on 1 truck,3 sets of lifters,2 driveshafts etc. etc. etc. not to mention I never had a working heater in the '01....personally my SD rides like a Cadillac compared to my Rams. not to mention the new Ram 1500 body is....."overstyled".the new 4.7 is a little weak for a full size,and the 360 is still the same pinging 360 in the '93-'01's .... my 2000 used 250 SD powerstroker on the other hand has been perfect I've put on 23,000+ miles on top of the 32,000 it already had with no problems. it isn't as nice on the interior(loaded but still work truck looking) feels a little more cramped even though it's a SC,not as fast as the Dodge, squats more with a load than the Dodge but it is more of a truck. only buy a Ram if you have a second vehicle(Dodge doesn't give loaners)...better yet buy anything but Dodge. sorry so long just a few sour feeling

Old 12-12-2001, 11:16 PM
jcm
Freshman User

These are way different trucks. I have a '98 Dodge sport and this is still way different than the new one. The new half ton Dodge has made dramatic improvements over the past, including the ride and the brakes. Dodge brakes used to be the worst and are now the best. The Ford is heavier and stiffer, but is an excellent heavy duty vehicle. Test drive and then test drive some more.

Old 12-13-2001, 01:44 PM
scottincincinnati
Junior User

yea the ride is more like a chevy,car-like not truck like. the new tranny is basically the same as the old with very few changes,('93-'01 is a 727 with a few electronics and an OD) "none of which would be a cure for the typical Dodge tranny problems. most problems are from burnt clutches, burnt from trying to make a soft shift by allowing more slip in-between shifts,they added clutches and made the shift softer on the new Rams." directly from the service manager's mouth. power band on 4.7 is flatter and takes a little longer to really pull than what you need for towing or hauling. more for general transportation than working. the 360 is currently unchanged except for the PCM programming. maybe when the new 2500 and 3500's come out in '03 a decent engine(non-pinging) and a reliable tranny will be available. visually I like the Rams better(not the new) but if you make your living with a truck you can't afford Dodge, dependable commuter but terriable "workhorse". we have 13 builders, at the beginning of last year there were 8 dodges 4 fords and 1 chevy all less than 4 years, old including my Dodge. now only 1 dodge remains, a 2000 with it's 3rd tranny, and second engine. I don't want to start a brand war every manufacturer will produce a lemon from time to time but Dodge seems be trying to make enough for everybody right now ....."Chrysler has spent 1.3 million in vehicle buybacks since 1993."

Old 12-13-2001, 01:47 PM
scottincincinnati
Junior User

I never really needed my brakes on the '01.... the tranny held it in place just fine in park :P

Old 12-13-2001, 05:21 PM
fishing_maniac
Junior User

Well I can tell you from experience that the Ford F250 SD is WAY more heavy Duty. With that, the F250 can be had with 4.30 gears(with V10). I owned a Dodge Ram, and would NEVER own another one! The truck was built too cheap everything either fell apart or broke. I was left stranded several times, with one of those being a life threatening experience. I know that all Dodges can't be as bad as the one I owned. But I and many others would not touch one.

Honestly, it is better to buy way more truck than you need than it is to buy a truck that is just heavy enough. Been there, done that!
Good Luck!
Tim

Old 12-14-2001, 05:46 PM
sportscar
Senior User
Post F-250 SD vs. Dodge Ram SPORT

I had a 2000 Dodge 1500 SLT 5.2L auto 2WD. It was a nice comfortable truck, very easy to drive after coming from small sports cars.
But, the quality was not there. For example the motor was leaking oil at 3000 miles, the front bumper fasica cracked, the cowl gasket fell off, the washers didn't work properly, the seat sliders were non functioanl, the rear ABS did work, the rear window leaked water, there was play in the steering. I wish I had read Consumers Reports before I bought. It gave the Ram worse than average reliblity. Had I would never have touched the Dodge Rammit.
I now have a 2001 F-250 XLT 5.4 auto 3.73 gears. Its plenty of truck with no problems (5600 miles). It took alittle getting use to driving, but I love it. Even with the drivetrain I have it pulls a 4000lb trailer with no problem. So you know what I would suggest.

Old 12-14-2001, 06:02 PM
jcm
Freshman User

I believe that Ford makes an excellent truck in the super duty. But I also will say that my '98 Ram has been nearly perfect. I had a broken cup holder that broke due to abuse and was covered under warrantee and a vacuum shift operated actuator for the 4X4 that went out because of a damaged vacuum line let water in. I've just under 60,000 miles and hasn't dissappointed.

Old 12-14-2001, 08:27 PM
Twinbulls
Senior User

SUPER DUTY !!!!!The BEST truck I ever owned.
And if you get the Dodge you have to leave this site...!! LOL
Now we dont want that?? do we
Buddy just bought a dodge and he was happy for 4 weeks then things started to fall off IE: trim,lug nuts,and window stoped working??
But other buddy has had no problems with his 2500,just cant keep up with me :P
JUST TEST THEM OUT
TIM