1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2 Voltage Regulators?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:39 AM
toonman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2 Voltage Regulators?

I'm not sure on this one but I'm trying to get the charging system working on my '50 F2 w/1966 289 motor
when I got it the previous owner said he never got it figured out and I haven't gotten to it untill now.

I haven't traced all the wires yet but it looks like I have two voltage regulators.

instead of embedding the pics in the post go here http://jmaurer.com/truck/vr.html to see what I'm talking about.

the truck will be all 12 volts when I'm done, do I need both of these? if I dont what would you suggest to get this thing charging (besides finishing tracing back all the wires, ha ha).

I was also looking at This Thread to see if it would help but I can't find any of the markings LEckart was mentioning.

any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advance, Jeff

Old 02-25-2004, 11:02 AM
shortyforty
Junior User
The top picture is the Starter Solenoid.

The bottom picture looks like the Voltage Regulator above and below it, a relay(for the horn or headlights ?) or voltage reducer.(for the 6 Volt gauges ?)

Haven't had much experience with 12 Volt conversions.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 AM
toonman
Senior User
Thanks Dan, I feel like a dunce now that I learned that's the starter solenoid, where on the VR are the markings refered to in the other post about the charging system

Old 02-25-2004, 11:41 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually the electrical connection points have the indication label right next to them (BAT, STA, F, GND) on the alternator.

On the Voltage Regulator, the tabs should be labeled: I- to ignition switch or coil res., A - to alternator (BAT), S - to alternator (STA), F - to alternator (F, Field)

Larry

Old 02-25-2004, 11:43 AM
toonman
Senior User
OK, my VR doesn't seem to have markings on it, unless they are on the bottom, I'll try pulling it off and check

Thanks Larry

Old 02-25-2004, 01:42 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
hey toony...

the first pic... on the left side is a pic of your starter seleniod ( A heavy duty relay) One of the big red wires goes to the battery, the other big red wire to the starter , the tan wire probally goes to the "start" position on the key switch, or the push button (start) switch, the the black / red wire goes to the coil and quite posible over to the regulator

the second pic shows the volt regulator on top (aprox 3 x 3 attached with 2 screws) the lower box looks like a relay for the horn the red wire is hot ( 12 volts) center terminal, the terminal on the right probbally goes to the horn button/switch and the wire on the left goes to the horn.

Robert

Old 02-25-2004, 02:16 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Hi

I have a older Ron Francies (spelling) wiring kit on my 56 F100 with a 351W/AOD. My voltage reg has a jumper wire between A and S and a red wire running from A to a terminal marked alt feed, then it has a blue wire running from F to a terminal marked field. There isn't any wire connected to the I terminal

You should go to a auto parts store in your area and buy the correct plug (it's cheap) for the reg it will have the jumper done and will include the red and blue wire.

If you would move the wire running across the white block on you reg and if you really strain your eyes you should see the letters I,A,S,F.

Like everbody has said the small one is probably for the horn.

Chuck

Old 02-25-2004, 04:26 PM
toonman
Senior User
I think I have it figured out
there was nothing from the STA terminal on the alternator to the S terminal on the VR

now the voltage gauge at least moves when it runs (to -5 volts) I'll have to figure that one out later, they are cheap k-mart gauges that are in it now